roksbox -Streaming Local Media Channel Available for Testing

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Re: roksbox -Streaming Local Media Channel Available for Tes

Postby krisbee » Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:43 am

Code: Select all
The Developer Web Page is disabled by default. It is enabled using a special sequence of remote key presses. The sequence is: 3 Home, 2 Up, Right, Left, Right, Left, Right. This sequence should bring up a screen that asks whether you want to enable the installer

Once in Developer Mode, you can telnet to debug.
krisbee

Postby donnygraham » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:17 am

Hello All,

So I installed the older (non-cloud) version of roksbox on my Roku 2XS. I then followed directions here http://roksbox.com/home/index.php?optio ... cle&id=130 to enable the web server on my Zyxel NSA325.

When I attempt to go through the roksbox configuration wizard, it asks me to put in the IP or hostname of the NAS. Per the directions, I type in 'http://192.168.0.9/MyWeb' however it reports it is unable to connect. I cannot get past this step unless I put in a full share such as 'http://192.168.0.9/MyWeb/video'.

So that's where I'm stuck. I believe the issue is that MyWeb is not a valid directory, as 'video/photo/music' are separate SHARES, not folders within a share called MyWeb. Due to the built-in nature of these media shares, it is not really feasible to move the media into subfolders of a new share called 'www' or something.

Where do I go from here? I've googled the <The entropy of a perfect crystal, at absolute zero kelvin, is exactly equal to zero. - Third Law of Thermodynamics> out of this and apparently I'm doing something wrong because I've found no other reports of this issue. Hopefully someone else out there is using this same setup!

Thanks in advance for your replies!

not sure if you found the answer for this or not, but i set up my ZyXEL NSA320 and had no issues. first off, are you using the correct username and password setup in Roksbox that is allowed access to your NSA325? silly question i know, but you gotta start somewhere. next, is your web publishing turned on? you did not say it was, so again i have to make sure. i used just http://myIP/MyWeb via the instructions and it worked. i left the video portion blank because i wanted it to search my whole NAS, not just my video library. i can send you a screen shot if you still need help. but... the instructions do not say anything about the username and password portion. depending on how you have your NSA325 shares setup, i would start there.
donnygraham

Postby ekhamer » Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:58 pm

krisbee wrote:
The Developer Web Page is disabled by default. It is enabled using a special sequence of remote key presses. The sequence is: 3 Home, 2 Up, Right, Left, Right, Left, Right. This sequence should bring up a screen that asks whether you want to enable the installer

I was able to press the magic key sequence and get to the screen to enable the installer. But even after this, I could not telnet to the ip address port 8085, it just shows nothing. I was reading the Developer Guide on the Roku Developer wiki and it says this:

"You should see the contents of the current application output buffer. Make sure your application is running, because you must run a development app to see output in this console. The console will not allow access to the output of other applications on the system. It will only allow debug access to your development application."

This makes it sound like you can't do debug mode for apps like roksbox. Is there any other way to debug this problem with certain mp3 files not playing? Is there a way to send a message to the roksbox developers? The roksbox.com site does not have a "contact us" link or help link.
ekhamer

Postby ekhamer » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:31 pm

ekhamer wrote:
krisbee wrote:

This makes it sound like you can't do debug mode for apps like roksbox. Is there any other way to debug this problem with certain mp3 files not playing? Is there a way to send a message to the roksbox developers? The roksbox.com site does not have a "contact us" link or help link.

Update: I used an ID3 Tag Remover on one of the files that wouldn't play and now it streams just fine through roksbox. It stripped ALL of the tags, which i wouldn't do except for testing. But it does show that some tags in there are causing troubles with roksbox. Again, I really need help from roksbox to solve this... any thoughts on how to get that help? Do they ever read this forum?

Thx.
ekhamer

Postby krisbee » Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:30 am

Wildd does read this, and I am sure he will look into it. As for the Telnet stuff, you might have it blocked by a firewall on one of your computers or routers since it is always a security risk.
krisbee

Postby C6Silver » Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:30 pm

Hello,

I loaded this channel probably a year+ ago but was not able to make it work with what I had. I just bought a new NAS/media server and would like to try this again. Unfortunately since the channel basically say there on my Roku the 30-day test has long since expired. Is there a way to reset so I can see if this will work?

Thanks.
C6Silver

Postby elley » Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:32 am

Hello. I would like to try roksbox, but I can't figure out how to setup the 30 day free trial. I went to roksbox.com/register like my roku said, and then I created a useraccount, but now whenever I log into roksbox.com it tells me I have to pay for it. I can't even get to the faq or help, it just reloads the payment screen again. It's not that much but I'd really like to try and see if it's even what I'm looking for before paying for it. Any suggestions? I did try logging out and back in and also I tried the website from my phone, same thing.
elley

Postby harchh001 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:40 am

<Deleted...problem solved.>
harchh001

HTTP 500 error when trying to play MP4 files

Postby blegs38552 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:34 pm

I configured a media server on my Windows 7 laptop and can see the files in my Roksbox channel.

However, when I try to play one of my my MP4 video, I get the following error: HTTP 500

Anyone else encounter this?
blegs38552

Re: Zyxel NSA325 Assistance Request

Postby WilDD » Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:38 pm

baccula wrote:Hello All,

So I installed the older (non-cloud) version of roksbox on my Roku 2XS. I then followed directions here http://roksbox.com/home/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=130 to enable the web server on my Zyxel NSA325.

When I attempt to go through the roksbox configuration wizard, it asks me to put in the IP or hostname of the NAS. Per the directions, I type in 'http://192.168.0.9/MyWeb' however it reports it is unable to connect. I cannot get past this step unless I put in a full share such as 'http://192.168.0.9/MyWeb/video'.

So that's where I'm stuck. I believe the issue is that MyWeb is not a valid directory, as 'video/photo/music' are separate SHARES, not folders within a share called MyWeb. Due to the built-in nature of these media shares, it is not really feasible to move the media into subfolders of a new share called 'www' or something.

Where do I go from here? I've googled the <The entropy of a perfect crystal, at absolute zero kelvin, is exactly equal to zero. - Third Law of Thermodynamics> out of this and apparently I'm doing something wrong because I've found no other reports of this issue. Hopefully someone else out there is using this same setup!

Thanks in advance for your replies!

I made a change to Roksbox Cloud that should fix this.

Install Roksbox Cloud (should show version 2.0.7 from the Help option on the Main Menu). Go to Options/My Options/Setup Wizard and select Web Server. For the Media Server Address, select Change, and type in 192.168.0.9/MyWeb (make sure uppercase/lowercase is correct). For each of the media folder paths, manually type in the folder name (video for Video Path, music for Music Path, and photo for Photo Path).

Hopefully you will be able to access your media.
WilDD

Postby WilDD » Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:47 pm

Anthonym84 wrote:I am trying to setup roksbox to stream from a My Book Live to my Roku XD-S. what I have done so far is simply follow the setup wizard and it seems to connect to the MBL but prompts for a username and password when infact this is a Public share with no password on it. The main directory of the MBL os located at http://192.168.1.111/Public with the media shares located in "Shared Video", "Shared Pictures", etc.

Do I need to follow the documentation that is given for the My Book World edition that recommends installing Apache?

Can you see your media files from a web browser by entering http://192.168.1.111/Public? If so, then it should work from Roksbox. If not, you probably need to install Apache. I don't know if the install is the same for My Book Live as it is for My Book World. If you decide to install Apache, be careful not to ruin your MBL.
WilDD

Re: Trouble connecting Roksbox to WD MyBook Live

Postby WilDD » Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:56 pm

MichaelEBatt wrote:Hello. I am in need of some help. I have a WD myBook Live that I installed the Roksbox FeaturePak manager (http://highlevel.bits.fr) on and it was working awesome. I installed a firmware update on the WD drive, and had to reinstall the Roksbox FeaturePak manager. After since that, it doesn't work....ever.

The thing is, I have restarted all components including router and Roku a number of times. I can ping all of the components. There is not restrictions set up in the router. The Roku will get out to the internet successfully. I can bring up the correct address in a browser with the correct port 192.168.100.105:8081 and get a listing of all videos, pictures, etc. in the correctly linked folders. I can click on a movie link in the browser and it starts streaming right away, so I know it's not the media server.

But for some ungodly reason the Roksbox will not connect to the media server. I have tried it in both Roksbox Cloud and Roksbox original....nada. I've even removed both Roksbox channels, restarted the Roku, reinstalled the Roksbox channels, tried to set it up and nothing. I didn't let it search for a medai server network since I don't think it would complete successfully.

Any guidance or advice out there? This one's a stumper. Thanks!

Use Roksbox Cloud, and try using the manual setup.

Go to Options/My Options/Media Settings/Web Server. Manually enter all of the information, making sure you also enter the proper port number on the ip address. Also enter the proper media folder paths with proper uppercase/lowercase.

Hopefully this will work.
WilDD

Postby WilDD » Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:30 pm

ekhamer wrote:
ekhamer wrote:
krisbee wrote:

Update: I used an ID3 Tag Remover on one of the files that wouldn't play and now it streams just fine through roksbox. It stripped ALL of the tags, which i wouldn't do except for testing. But it does show that some tags in there are causing troubles with roksbox. Again, I really need help from roksbox to solve this... any thoughts on how to get that help? Do they ever read this forum?

Thx.

Roksbox uses the standard Roku audio player from the SDK. There isn't really anything that can be changed when playing mp3s through the Roku audio player. Maybe someone from Roku can give some information on what is causing the problem. I will also do some experimenting.
WilDD

Postby WilDD » Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:38 pm

elley wrote:Hello. I would like to try roksbox, but I can't figure out how to setup the 30 day free trial. I went to roksbox.com/register like my roku said, and then I created a useraccount, but now whenever I log into roksbox.com it tells me I have to pay for it. I can't even get to the faq or help, it just reloads the payment screen again. It's not that much but I'd really like to try and see if it's even what I'm looking for before paying for it. Any suggestions? I did try logging out and back in and also I tried the website from my phone, same thing.

You don't need to register or do anything on the Roksbox website to use the 30 day trial. Just install and start Roksbox and you should be ok.
WilDD

Re: HTTP 500 error when trying to play MP4 files

Postby WilDD » Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:44 pm

blegs38552 wrote:I configured a media server on my Windows 7 laptop and can see the files in my Roksbox channel.

However, when I try to play one of my my MP4 video, I get the following error: HTTP 500

Anyone else encounter this?

It sounds like your mp4s aren't properly encoded. Try the instructions from here.
WilDD

PreviousNext

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion