Two new channels in the "Channel Store"

Discussions about Roku products, channels, and Roku-related topics.

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Two new channels in the "Channel Store"

Postby supersecretusername » Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:49 am

"Moonlight Movies" and "Drive-In Classics"

Info for both can be found at http://www.vidpoints.com/channels

"Moonlight Movies"
Travel back in time to the golden age of television and cinema with this ever changing lineup of classic movies and TV programming from the 1930's to the 1970's.

There is no need to adjust your television......believe it or not......films were once black and white......Televisions had no remote control.....and there were only three stations that went off the air at midnight.

We promise you will not have to adjust the rabbit ears, and we will only play the star spangled banner when they turn the internet off.

Movies staring Buster Keaton, Frank Sinatra, Ava Gardner, Glen Ford, Moira Lister, Anabel Shaw, Orson Wells and other top movie stars from the era. Film Noir and Drama abounds.

Pay $3 once and the channel is yours, it's not a subscription. Seriously, we're not going to ask for more money later. It's $3 and that's it. (What a deal! What can you get for $3 these days?).

Did I mention that it's only $3? 3 Dollars.

"Drive-In Classics"

Here is a chance to see all of the movies that you missed when you were doing other things at the drive-in (we mean playing on the swing-set below the screen or the line at the concession booth, not the make out stuff).

Watch classic horror and Sci-Fi while you pretend you are in the backseat of mom's station wagon, if you want, whatever, we don't mind.

Get the popcorn ready because there are some zombies, space aliens, and classic spooky guys waiting for you here. All with a press of your remote.

Lots of movies hand picked as the best of the era to choose from with new selections added each week.

Examples include Night of the Living Dead, Plan 9 from Outer Space, The Last Man on Earth, Carnival of Souls, Dead People, Nosferatu, and others.

Its only a one time payment of $3 and you dont have to sneak in all of your friends in the trunk of your car.
supersecretusername

Re: Two new channels in the "Channel Store"

Postby -LD » Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:59 pm

Sell me on why a user should pay for this rather than the free options out there such as http://thenowhereman.com/roku/
-LD

Postby Brad I. » Sat Mar 20, 2010 1:48 pm

-LD wrote:Sell me on why a user should pay for this rather than the free options out there such as http://thenowhereman.com/roku/

Simplicity. These channels do one thing and do it very simply. My dad will love Moonlight Movies because there will be nothing to do other than choose a movie and press play. No navigation through other content, no setting up favorites, no remembering which heading a movie was under. Just "pick and click".I LOVE using PodTV. I love all the content I can choose from and I prefer it over Mediafly because of simplicity. I'm willing to bet a lot of people just interested in quickly and simply selecting movies from these genres would gladly pay a one time $3 fee for this kind of simplicity rather than learn to use something that they view as complicated or confusing. It's probably not for you if you need a sales pitch beyond the channel description for a $3 purchase.
Brad I.

Postby techn0lizard » Sat Mar 20, 2010 4:02 pm

Trust me, if you like those old black and white movies, especially creature features, these channels are for you. I can also attest to their excellent customer service. I took a leap of faith when they were in beta, and I have to say that it's an amazing deal.

Currently there are something like 85 movies available, including some VERY old black and white classic horror flicks. That's worth $3 to me right there.
Very funny Scotty now beam down my pants!!!!
techn0lizard

Postby supersecretusername » Sat Mar 20, 2010 5:07 pm

techn0lizard wrote:Trust me, if you like those old black and white movies, especially creature features, these channels are for you. I can also attest to their excellent customer service. I took a leap of faith when they were in beta, and I have to say that it's an amazing deal.

Currently there are something like 85 movies available, including some VERY old black and white classic horror flicks. That's worth $3 to me right there.

My personal favorite is "Oasis Of The Zombies". It's so bad it's good. "Five" was awesome as well, but in a "so good it's good" kind of a way. It's not all Public Domain stuff. We have thousands of licensed films as well as abandoned foreign films. We even have "Star Wars" (made in Turkey), and tons of grindhouse stuff from the 70's. We're trying to keep the number of films available at any given time to save on CDN costs so that it possible that we can offer something like this for $3. We're taking it slow. The donations thing was pretty much a bust, but we got some valuable debugging out of it.
supersecretusername

Postby dellsweig » Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:23 am

-LD wrote:Sell me on why a user should pay for this rather than the free options out there such as http://thenowhereman.com/roku/

It is worth the 3$ simply because someone did the work of presenting this in a channel - if it was free one might even donate.

It's 3 friggin dollars - whats the big deal??
Going where the wind don't blow so strange
dellsweig

Postby serialjoepsycho » Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:25 am

It's worth the 3 dollars. They are older movies yes but you'll get one of two things. Either the movie will be so terrible that you enjoy it and laugh your ass off or you will actually see a an actual scary movie. No you won't get all the big deal modern graphics and special effects but they used to try to make up for that by using an actual script.
serialjoepsycho

Postby serialjoepsycho » Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:31 am

Have you considered any other genre esque channel like a Kung Fu channel? Have you considered some type of cost sharing deal? I'm gonna crash but I have an Idea if you are interested. I'll get back to you when I get up if you are interested.
serialjoepsycho

Postby supersecretusername » Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:33 am

serialjoepsycho wrote:It's worth the 3 dollars. They are older movies yes but you'll get one of two things. Either the movie will be so terrible that you enjoy it and laugh your ass off or you will actually see a an actual scary movie.

Like this?

"Plan 9 from Outer Space"...notice the string suspending the saucer.
supersecretusername

Postby montlyfool » Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:43 am

paid for both channels via paypal, but tried to enter validation code, and it would never validate. I want my channels or a refund.
If I try to go back to vipoints.com/roku, it will not bring up the validation screen again.
So far, not worth $6.00 unless I can view them.
montlyfool

Postby supersecretusername » Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:50 am

montlyfool wrote:paid for both channels via paypal, but tried to enter validation code, and it would never validate. I want my channels or a refund.
If I try to go back to vipoints.com/roku, it will not bring up the validation screen again.
So far, not worth $6.00 unless I can view them.

Contact support@vidpoints.com and include the email address that you used to pay with PayPal.
supersecretusername

Postby montlyfool » Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:14 pm

Got it, thanks, working. Support was quick !
montlyfool

Postby serialjoepsycho » Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:26 pm

Yep Ed Wood was the dude. The really freaking weird dude but still the dude
serialjoepsycho

Postby -LD » Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:30 am

dellsweig wrote:

It is worth the 3$ simply because someone did the work of presenting this in a channel - if it was free one might even donate.

It's 3 friggin dollars - whats the big deal??

No big deal. I was just asking for a sales pitch and why it's better.
-LD

Postby samundsen » Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:36 am

So, when you sign up for these channels, do you also get signed up for this whole Vidpoints deal? Seems like a scheme to bombard you with surveys and spam that you "earn points" by responding to. I was going to check out these channels, but after taking a look at the main vidpoints.com site, I decided not to.
samundsen

Next

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion