Can't connect to Roku

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

Can't connect to Roku

Postby rshislerjr » Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:10 pm

I've recently been unable to use my Roku player, so I tried unplugging the power and repowering, no luck, tried the factory reset with no luck. My Roku is wired by ethernet and all laptops and desktops are connecting to the internet just fine. This Roku has been working fine until now. I get to the network setup screen now, select wired, I get three green lights, but after that is pauses and hangs and then gives me an error saying "Can't connecto to Roku". Also, same thing happens with wireless, it connects, gives three green lights for detecting and same message "Can't connect to Roku". Anyone got any ideas?
rshislerjr

Re: Can't connect to Roku

Postby kumasuki » Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:58 pm

rshislerjr wrote:..... tried unplugging the power and repowering, no luck, tried the factory reset with no luck. My Roku is wired by ethernet and all laptops and desktops are connecting to the internet just fine.

Even though other devices are not having problems connecting, I would STILL try resetting both your modem and router (in that order). This has remedied other connectivity issues only effecting the Roku.
--------------------------------------
Roku XDS; DSM-520; HDX1000 w/1TB drive; Neuros; Hauppauge 1212 HD-PVR; HDHomeRun; Vudu; VuNow HD; Boxee Box
kumasuki

Postby rshislerjr » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:33 pm

Thank you for your reply, I did exactly as you suggested, unplugged modem, router, and Roku, re-powered in reverse order waiting for each to power up and connect. And same problem, "Can't connect to Roku". I had removed all other devices from my home network prior to doing this to make sure there isn't a conflicting device. I'm kind of stumped again.
rshislerjr

Postby philsoft » Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:05 am

rshislerjr wrote:Thank you for your reply, I did exactly as you suggested, unplugged modem, router, and Roku, re-powered in reverse order waiting for each to power up and connect. And same problem, "Can't connect to Roku". I had removed all other devices from my home network prior to doing this to make sure there isn't a conflicting device. I'm kind of stumped again.

It sounds like your router or ISP, MAY be blocking the connection. If I recall correctly, there have been issues in the past where, routers in particular, would identify the Roku traffic as malicious for some reason. So it could be a firewall in the router. I would look at that first.
philsoft
** Valued Community Member **

Postby lbja » Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:37 pm

Hooked up Roku to Samsung Series 6000 LED TV via Roku provided HDMI to watch Netflix movies, worked perfectly for a couple of days...then suddenly today the dreaded green screen. Was on the phone with Roku customer service, unplugging and plugging in HDMI cable, Roku box, even my wireless router...no luck. Also tried other HDMI input, no luck. When I unplug and plug in the power cable from the back of the Roku box and choose HDMI source #2 where the HDMI is plugged in, I briefly see the Roku screen flash on (teasing me) then it goes to an "unsupported mode" message which moves about the screen for about 30 seconds, then the screen goes completely green. This didn't happen at all for the first couple of days; it worked fine, easy setup. Discouraging. Will have to return this if it takes up any more of time!
lbja

Postby rshislerjr » Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:40 pm

Thanks for the reply(s), I just for kicks, made sure firewalls are disabled on my side, and even though i get the green lights for ethernet (or wireless), then even a green light for internet connection, Still can't connect to Roku, may have to call my isp and see if something changed on that side. If there's any other ideas, I wouldn't mind hearing them.
rshislerjr

Postby philsoft » Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:48 pm

lbja wrote:Hooked up Roku to Samsung Series 6000 LED TV via Roku provided HDMI to watch Netflix movies, worked perfectly for a couple of days...then suddenly today the dreaded green screen. Was on the phone with Roku customer service, unplugging and plugging in HDMI cable, Roku box, even my wireless router...no luck. Also tried other HDMI input, no luck. When I unplug and plug in the power cable from the back of the Roku box and choose HDMI source #2 where the HDMI is plugged in, I briefly see the Roku screen flash on (teasing me) then it goes to an "unsupported mode" message which moves about the screen for about 30 seconds, then the screen goes completely green. This didn't happen at all for the first couple of days; it worked fine, easy setup. Discouraging. Will have to return this if it takes up any more of time!

Sounds like a possible HDMI handshake issue with the TV. I am sure, that somewhere there is a lively debate going on as to who might be at fault, (Roku or the TV manufacturer) but I am fairly confident that if the TV manufacturer wants to figure it out, someone will be happy to work with them.

If you don't want to spend the time to get your network all working together though, that is fine too, but if you DO decide to resolve it, and have any questions, feel free to ask. Usually folks end up figuring things out with the help of the people that use these forums.
philsoft

Postby philsoft » Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:50 pm

rshislerjr wrote:Thanks for the reply(s), I just for kicks, made sure firewalls are disabled on my side, and even though i get the green lights for ethernet (or wireless), then even a green light for internet connection, Still can't connect to Roku, may have to call my isp and see if something changed on that side. If there's any other ideas, I wouldn't mind hearing them.

Do you have the latest firmware installed on your router?
philsoft

Postby lbja » Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:59 pm

"If you decide to resolve it...." ??? I wish I could make that decision! I can't; I can only attempt to resolve it with the resources I have at hand. Resolution ultimately is up to those who understand the tech reasons for the failure of the system to function. I tried to solve this for more than an hour this afternoon. There's a box and a couple of cables with which to work. They've stopped functioning with my Samsung LED. How can it work fine initially then cease suddenly to do so? I don't know. Even Roku customer service couldn't tell me. If someone else has an answer I would be interested to hear it! I had restarted Netflix a couple of days ago and my kids were looking forward to using Roku capability this afternoon...won't happen....and will have to wait for Roku tech response I guess.
lbja

Postby lbja » Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:27 pm

...but all of that said: I like the Roku product as it worked initially for a couple of days so will try component cables temporarily and see if that will allow me to use its capability. I'm seeing from searching other forums that green screens are a common HDMI problem, particularly, it seems, with Samsung TV's....
lbja

Postby rshislerjr » Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:15 pm

Solved the problem with connection problems tonight thanks to Roku tech support.

I needed to change dns servers in my modem/router... here is the text of it...

The following are the DNS numbers that have to be entered on the router/modem. 208.67.222.222 as Primary and
208.67.220.220 as secondary.

No sooner entered the new dns and restarted the modem, and Roku instantly came to life.

Hope this can help someone else as it did me.
rshislerjr

Postby westinsdad » Sat Oct 16, 2010 6:17 pm

THANK YOU so much for taking the time to post this, it solved my problem instantly, and I could not find the solution anywhere else.
westinsdad

Postby rshislerjr » Sat Oct 16, 2010 7:25 pm

I'm very glad to help, I will always post a reply with a solution when I come upon one, I know I am NEVER the only one struggling to solve it. Having said that, I'm so thrilled with ROKU, that I've added one via wireless in my master bedroom and when finances are little less tight, I intend to add one in the guest bedroom. Everyone I've shown this too is blown away by it. I am a very happy ROKU customer and would recommend this highly. Glad you are up and working West!
rshislerjr

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion