YouTube

Moderators: RokuShawnS, RokuDouglas, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Re: YouTube

Postby KennyJ » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:54 am

philsoft wrote:
steelersrule wrote:
nowhereman wrote:Just a quick little weekend hack. It's very basic at this point. As always, use at your own risk. I am not responsible if your box self-distructs :P

B8VVK

I feel dopey, but the B8VVK, how do you access this hack? I really have no idea. If you can't actually post it here could you PM me. I would like to have YouTube available on my ROKU BOX, and really have no idea on how that "hack" get's placed in the BOX itself to make it available.

Input the code here https://owner.roku.com/Account/ChannelCode/

Then you may have to enter the channel store to sync your account and exit again for the channel to show up.
KennyJ

Postby steelersrule » Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:43 pm

Thanks fellas for your help. i did what you said and YouTube showed up working as well as can be expected, for now. I am very pleased/happy. Is there a list somewhere on this forum that lists private channels/content/codes that can be added added to ones ROKU box?
steelersrule

Postby campbellwang » Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:29 am

I intentionally did not read this thread as I already have had experience of working with YouTube content on the Roku box. Now I have read it I feel I better comment.

In December 2009 we decided to add support for YouTube. I think we spent over a month adding support for all different iterations of YouTube content.
You could stream full TV shows, playlists, uploads. It was really cool. We could even stream full TV shows restricted to only the USA (we are based in London, England). Then Google/ YouTube stopped unauthorised set top box developers from using their content.

The YouTube APIs and Tools Terms of Service on Tuesday, Jan 19, 2010 read:
Prohibitions: point 10: use the YouTube API in connection with any API Client created for use on television set top boxes, television game consoles, or video screens packaged and marketed as television sets; (Ref: http://code.google.com/apis/youtube/terms.html).

I know the basic date because I sent an email out discussing this matter.

The same Terms of service now reads:
Prohibitions: point 10: access any portion of any YouTube audiovisual content by any means other than use of a YouTube player or other video player expressly authorized by YouTube; (Again Ref: http://code.google.com/apis/youtube/terms.html).

One thing we did find was some content owners like CBS etc. Did not allow their content to be embedded on other people sites. These were mainly the ones that were blocked from streaming. I would say 70 to 80% of all YouTube content could be streamed.

I am not sure what the situation is now but good luck to anyone interested in developing an App for YouTube content.
If anyone should be allowed to do this it’s Roku. Roku would need to comment on why they have not negotiated a deal with Google/YouTube.
What KennyJ said about Mobile Tribe could well be plausible. They might have got in on the Mobile apps angle. KennyJ never stops surprising me on his insights.

As for any private apps I think they would need to negotiate a deal direct with Google/YouTube before Roku would allow them in their Channel store.
The first thing Roku will ask is: Do you have express permission to use this content. If the answer is; Well.. Yes.. err... <tumbleweed...> then I guess they just might be out of luck.
campbellwang

Postby nowhereman » Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:57 am

campbellwang wrote:The same Terms of service now reads:
Prohibitions: point 10: access any portion of any YouTube audiovisual content by any means other than use of a YouTube player or other video player expressly authorized by YouTube; (Again Ref: http://code.google.com/apis/youtube/terms.html).

As I alluded to earlier in the thread, the code in the channel that accesses the content does not make use of the API and is therefore arguably not subject to the TOS. I admit it's a flimsy argument and if someone wants to ask me to cut it out, I will. Thus far they haven't.

campbellwang wrote:As for any private apps I think they would need to negotiate a deal direct with Google/YouTube before Roku would allow them in their Channel store.
The first thing Roku will ask is: Do you have express permission to use this content. If the answer is; Well.. Yes.. err... <tumbleweed...> then I guess they just might be out of luck.

For the record, it wasn't the first thing they asked. In fact, it wasn't brought up at all.

Despite the encouragement I have received from certain parties to submit this channel the the channel store, I currently have no intention of doing so. It's a hack, an exploration of what the box can do, and not suitable for public consumption.
twitter:nowhereman
http://www.thenowhereman.com/roku
http://www.thenowhereman.com/netflix
nowhereman

Postby BoloMKXXVIII » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:16 am

Yes, please keep it our little secret so us forum members can enjoy it. If you submit it and Youtube(Google) kills it we all lose.
The NSA is the largest criminal organization in the United States.

** Non-valued Community Member **
BoloMKXXVIII

Postby moviegeek65 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:38 am

I don't know if this has been posted before but I figured out why subscriptions didn't show up:
On the YouTube website go to Subscriptions and select one in the left pane then click on Edit Subscription on the right side, select "Only videos uploaded by...."
moviegeek65

Postby scrager » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:36 am

i gotta say, i love your work nowhereman, but I hate the "Categories" interface as a default interface.

My ideas for your channel are this:
Main screen has several options: Settings, My Account, Top Videos, Watched Accounts
Settings: You could do this any number of ways and it should expand as options are added
My Account: If you select My Account without an account already filled in, you should prompt for it so that a user doesn't have to go to settings first if they don't want to.
Top Videos: This would have sub categories for top viewed or top rated
Watched Accounts: Rather than setting up your account with subscriptions, favorites, etc, watched accounts would allow you to add a user to the channel and browser their info (uploads, favorites, subscriptions). Watched accounts could use categories for control. IE: Category for browse will browse accounts. Category Add will allow you to add a new account to the list. When you select an account, there can be a category for remove to remove that account from the watches.

Now the best part comes from when you are watching a video. If I do a search and pull up a video, currently the only options is Play. There could also be an option to "Watch Account" so that you can easily add that user to the Watched accounts without typing.

basically what i'm getting at is allowing multiple accounts to be browsed without overriding "my account". This would give you much more flexibility in browsing youtube from the channel without having to do a bunch of setup on the youtube site with a computer.

Also, if it is possible to get related videos through the feeds, on the video screen, you could also have a button for "Related" to show the related videos, giving the user the ability to just crawl youtube without knowing specifically what they are looking for.
scrager

Postby darium » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:38 am

darium wrote:I did run into another issue though, I have a subscription for "The Guild". On my subscription page, it shows on the top of my list as [The Guild]. When I attempt to view through the Roku channel, it shows up as [4]The Guild and is empty. Could the channel be parsing the subscription name incorrectly.

Any insight on this?
darium

Postby tonyd79 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:44 am

Very nice. I just added this to replace You Tube on my now disconnected Tivo. This works much better!
tonyd79

Postby darium » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:57 am

moviegeek65 wrote:I don't know if this has been posted before but I figured out why subscriptions didn't show up:
On the YouTube website go to Subscriptions and select one in the left pane then click on Edit Subscription on the right side, select "Only videos uploaded by...."

http://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=26992&start=60#p168166
darium

Postby nowhereman » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:44 pm

darium wrote:
darium wrote:I did run into another issue though, I have a subscription for "The Guild". On my subscription page, it shows on the top of my list as [The Guild]. When I attempt to view through the Roku channel, it shows up as [4]The Guild and is empty. Could the channel be parsing the subscription name incorrectly.

Any insight on this?

this falls into the same category as a lot of other shows people have been unable to access

<errors xmlns='http://schemas.google.com/g/2005'>
<error>
<domain>GData</domain>
<code>ServiceForbiddenException</code>
<internalReason>Playlist video is not publicly accessible.</internalReason>
</error>
</errors>
nowhereman

Postby nowhereman » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:58 pm

trksh22 wrote:Two of my subscriptions didn't show up. In Youtube, when I clicked on "edit subscriptions", I noticed that those two had the top radio button checked. I can't remember the wording but you subscribe to comments, video's that that person liked, etc. I then changed it to the second radio button (just the videos). Now they show up and I haven't had any problems, it even shows the new episodes.

Early versions of the channel worked with both kinds of subscriptions. i must have done something along the way that broke the "All videos uploaded, rated, favorited, and commented on" type. Will be fixed in tonight's build.
nowhereman

Subscriptions......again!

Postby dlmack1 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:04 am

Ok, I must be a moron.....When I add the new "outer limits" as a sub, I don't get the radio buttons for the options......so, Nothing shows up under the subscription tab on the Roku......can someone else try and let me know if it's just me?

thanks
dlmack1

Re: Subscriptions......again!

Postby trksh22 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:10 pm

dlmack1 wrote:Ok, I must be a moron.....When I add the new "outer limits" as a sub, I don't get the radio buttons for the options......so, Nothing shows up under the subscription tab on the Roku......can someone else try and let me know if it's just me?

thanks

I tried it and it didn't work for me. I'm a newbie in this so I can't give you real answers. I don't know if it makes a difference, but it appears to be an "official" partner of youtube. Maybe they are in different formats??

I was able to make a playlist for it and they showed up on the Roku that way. You can only have 25 videos in a playlist, but at least it shows up. That's one way to get them on your Roku until someone who knows what they're talking about can give you a better solution.
trksh22

Postby dlmack1 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:14 pm

Thanks for trying it out....yeah, I did dump them into a playlist also.....was hoping to get the subscriptions working though.......

YouTube is still awesome on here.....just for the tv shows and movies alone!
dlmack1

PreviousNext

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion