New Roku - No Audio

Moderators: RokuShawnS, RokuDouglas, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

New Roku - No Audio

Postby sallykay » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:51 pm

Wow are we bummed! We have a fantastic picture and NO audio. Where do we go from here? We are using a HDMI cable. Any suggestions??
sallykay

Re: New Roku - No Audio

Postby KennyJ » Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:13 pm

sallykay wrote:Wow are we bummed! We have a fantastic picture and NO audio. Where do we go from here? We are using a HDMI cable. Any suggestions??

Someone might be able to offer help to actually get your audio delivered through the HDMI (it might be a setting on your TV). But if not, you can always run the audio separately -- either through the red/white rca jacks or using the digital audio.
KennyJ

Postby sallykay » Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:17 pm

Our TV was working previously through the HDMI cable, so I'm not sure there is a setting change that needs to be done, but we will check that out. Thanks Kenny. We have already tried the red and white cables, but no dice there.
sallykay

Postby KennyJ » Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:28 pm

sallykay wrote:Our TV was working previously through the HDMI cable, so I'm not sure there is a setting change that needs to be done, but we will check that out. Thanks Kenny. We have already tried the red and white cables, but no dice there.

Are you getting audio from other devices? (DVD/Cable/etc)? If you are getting sound from other devices, you can try this:

You can try resetting the Roku (reset button or unplug and replug in). If that doesn't work try a hard reset...

You can hard reset the Roku by unplug the Roku and press the and hold the reset button as you plug back in the Roku... then hold it for about 20-30 seconds and let go. Note, this will clear your linkings -- so you'd have to relink Netflix, etc.
KennyJ

Postby sallykay » Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:58 pm

Thanks for all the suggestions - maybe we just have a lemon... nothing seems to work and I have enough codes to sink a ship! We have tried everything we know to do. I am getting frustrated.
sallykay

Postby nrao1 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:23 pm

what channels have you tried playing?
nrao1

Postby calicommando » Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:24 pm

sallykay wrote:Thanks for all the suggestions - maybe we just have a lemon... nothing seems to work and I have enough codes to sink a ship! We have tried everything we know to do. I am getting frustrated.

What do you mean by codes?
calicommando

Postby jeffrok » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:21 pm

Sally, just wondering if the HDMI cable is going directly from the Roku to the TV or if it's going through a receiver and then to the TV?
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koy2eg1ioZ8&list=HL1380998604&feature=mh_lolz
jeffrok
** Valued Community Member **

Postby mkiker2089 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:46 pm

Try going to the audio setting in the roku and make sure it's on stereo.
-Marshall-

Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv.
I know nothing, I see nothing, I wasn't there,
and if I was there, I was asleep.
mkiker2089

Postby sallykay » Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:05 am

I have set the Roku to stereo, I have an HD TV, the HDMI is going direct from the TV to the Roku, I've tried resetting to the factory resets each time (thus all the new codes) to get back in. We can only watch the free stuff so far because I will have to get new set up codes for all the premium channels and if the box isn't working, why bother? The picture is great, but I'm not getting even a ghost of a sound. It is very frustrating because I would love to just sit and watch a movie (show, short, news, etc.) but with audio, thanks.
sallykay

Postby jeffrok » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:14 am

Sally,

I'd get an RMA and replacement for it- sounds like you indeed got a lemon!
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koy2eg1ioZ8&list=HL1380998604&feature=mh_lolz
jeffrok
** Valued Community Member **

Postby gadrago » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:47 am

As jeffrok says, perhaps you have a defective Roku box, but have you tried all the problem determination steps to find out where the problem is, or is not? It would be too bad if you RMA'd the box and had the same problems with its replacement. It sounds like you are saying you had both sound and picture through the HDMI cable attachment directly to your TV at least one time, but now you only get video but no audio? HDMI is flaky anyways with the handshaking issues between connected devices, the HDMI cable, and the HDTV. All three have to play nice together, and often do not.

Do you have another HDTV with HDMI inputs to which to try attaching the Roku box?

If your HDTV has HDMI inputs, it almost certainly has both component and composite video inputs, both of which use the HDTV inputs' corresponding analog audio (RCA red, white) jacks to deliver sound through the HDTV's internal speakers. Most HDTVs do not have the option to deliver picture through a HDMI input and sound simultaneously through a component or composite input's analog audio jacks because that would require two HDTV inputs to be active at the same time.

What happens when you use one of the composite inputs on your HDTV with the composite cable supplied with the Roku (RCA yellow for video, RCA red, white for analog sound)? Do you get both sound and picture? That would show that the Roku's analog sound outputs are functioning, which are the same ones to deliver sound to one of your HDTV's component inputs.

Do you have a set of component cables to attach from the Roku to your HDTV to see if you get both sound and picture that way? Many people will say that the picture quality of component attachment is the same as with a HDMI attachment- it certainly is on my two HDTVs.
gadrago

Postby calicommando » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:53 am

gadrago wrote:As jeffrok says, perhaps you have a defective Roku box, but have you tried all the problem determination steps to find out where the problem is, or is not? It would be too bad if you RMA'd the box and had the same problems with its replacement. It sounds like you are saying you had both sound and picture through the HDMI cable attachment directly to your TV at least one time, but now you only get video but no audio? HDMI is flaky anyways with the handshaking issues between connected devices, the HDMI cable, and the HDTV. All three have to play nice together, and often do not.

Do you have another HDTV with HDMI inputs to which to try attaching the Roku box?

If your HDTV has HDMI inputs, it almost certainly has both component and composite video inputs, both of which use the HDTV inputs' corresponding analog audio (RCA red, white) jacks to deliver sound through the HDTV's internal speakers. Most HDTVs do not have the option to deliver picture through a HDMI input and sound simultaneously through a component or composite input's analog audio jacks because that would require two HDTV inputs to be active at the same time.

What happens when you use one of the composite inputs on your HDTV with the composite cable supplied with the Roku (RCA yellow for video, RCA red, white for analog sound)? Do you get both sound and picture? That would show that the Roku's analog sound outputs are functioning, which are the same ones to deliver sound to one of your HDTV's component inputs.

Do you have a set of component cables to attach from the Roku to your HDTV to see if you get both sound and picture that way? Many people will say that the picture quality of component attachment is the same as with a HDMI attachment- it certainly is on my two HDTVs.

I agree. Try this ^. It will at least help you narrow down the problem. Honestly, I doubt that your Roku is bad.
calicommando

Postby sallykay » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:21 am

I have audio through the HDMI cable on my TV when attached to any other 'box', cable, VCR, DVD, just not with the Roku. I have been waiting for support, but alas have not heard from them yet. I have tried the audio cables, still no audio. I don't have another TV so can't check that way. I appreciate all your suggestions and don't want to give it up before I even get started. I will wait for support and then see what can be done. Thanks.
sallykay

Postby gadrago » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:57 am

What you describe could be a HDMI handshaking issue. It might be that your HDTV is not compatible with the Roku's HDMI output, and if so, getting a replacement Roku box will not do any good. Did we misunderstand that it worked once with HDMI and never again delivered sound with picture, or that it never did deliver both sound and picture through HDMI?

Just because other devices work on your HDTV with a HDMI attachment does not automatically say the Roku box is at fault. It just may not work with your particular HDTV, but if the same Roku box was attached to a different model HDTV, it would work. If so, is it the fault of the Roku or of the HDTV, or of the connecting HDMI cable between the two? That's why HDMI is flaky; it's an imperfect specification.

When you say you attached it with audio cables, does that mean you used the composite cable supplied with your Roku and selected that composite input on your TV? Did you get picture but no sound? Did you get neither?

Honestly I'd try the analog outputs on the Roku to the component or composite inputs on your HDTV before throwing in the towel. At this point there is not enough information to tell if the outputs of the Roku box are defective.
gadrago

Next

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion