Connect to Internet via my PC not the Router

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Connect to Internet via my PC not the Router

Postby HALFBAKED » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:43 am

I figured out how do connect the Roku player through a PC. First, you can't do it easily with Vista or XP. The simplest way is to use Windows 7 and a Virtual Router. It took very little effort. Everything below this paragraph is just interesting but not helpful.

Here’s the thing. I want to connect to the Internet with my Roku player through my Laptop. I have already successfully connected the player to the Internet by directly connecting to my router but I have limited ports and don't want to spend any more money. I prefer a wireless connection but will use Ether if I have to. Here is a list of what I have done so far.
1. I created an Ad Hoc network; no success. I did this both wireless and Ether. I.e. My computer was connected directly to my router wire and wireless. The Roku player was wireless to my computer. The Internet connection had share enabled. I haven't messed with client or TCP settings.
2. Used a switch connected to the laptops network port. The player connects to the switch but not to the Internet. I enabled sharing on the Internet network connection but no luck.
3. I know this sounds stupid but I connected the player directly to my network card with wire and used my laptop WiFi to connect to my router.

Connecting Roku player via WiFi to the router is not an option.

Any ideas would be great.
Last edited by HALFBAKED on Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
HALFBAKED

Re: Connect to Internet via my PC not the Router

Postby philsoft » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:51 am

HALFBAKED wrote:Here’s the thing. I want to connect to the Internet with my Roku player through my Laptop. I have already successfully connected the player to the Internet by directly connecting to my router but I have limited ports and don't want to spend any more money. I prefer a wireless connection but will use Ether if I have to. Here is a list of what I have done so far.
1. I created an Ad Hoc network; no success. I did this both wireless and Ether. I.e. My computer was connected directly to my router wire and wireless. The Roku player was wireless to my computer. The Internet connection had share enabled. I haven't messed with client or TCP settings.
2. Used a switch connected to the laptops network port. The player connects to the switch but not to the Internet. I enabled sharing on the Internet network connection but no luck.
3. I know this sounds stupid but I connected the player directly to my network card with wire and used my laptop WiFi to connect to my router.

Connecting Roku player via WiFi to the router is not an option.

Any ideas would be great.

Can't you connect the switch directly to the router? That would give you the "More ports" that you need.
philsoft
** Valued Community Member **

Postby kc8pql » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:05 pm

philsoft wrote:
Can't you connect the switch directly to the router? That would give you the "More ports" that you need.

That's how I run mine.
kc8pql

Postby dellsweig » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:36 pm

kc8pql wrote:
philsoft wrote:

That's how I run mine.

And you can get a 4 port switch for under ten dollars
Going where the wind don't blow so strange
dellsweig

Postby HALFBAKED » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:55 pm

Yes, I can. And it would work. I am trying to use the PC as a router though. I travel often and sometimes need to use VPN to get back to amazon so it is important that I get the PC to work as a router.
HALFBAKED

Postby philsoft » Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:01 pm

HALFBAKED wrote:Yes, I can. And it would work. I am trying to use the PC as a router though. I travel often and sometimes need to use VPN to get back to amazon so it is important that I get the PC to work as a router.

So you are using "Internet Connection Sharing"?
philsoft

Postby HALFBAKED » Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:06 pm

Internet sharing is what I tried to use but I couldn't get it to work.
HALFBAKED

Postby kumasuki » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:48 pm

HALFBAKED wrote:...I travel often and sometimes need to use VPN to get back to amazon so it is important that I get the PC to work as a router.

If you travel often you're unlikely to find sufficient bandwidth access in the most common situations. The wifi access of hotels/motels (even upper-tier ones) generally will not suffice; and the Internet service available via cellphone routers now available is also generally not sufficient. Unless you're using the Roku directly on a corporate site with full wifi and/or in a private home with broadband access, don't expect the Roku to be of much use.
--------------------------------------
Roku XDS; DSM-520; HDX1000 w/1TB drive; Neuros; Hauppauge 1212 HD-PVR; HDHomeRun; Vudu; VuNow HD; Boxee Box
kumasuki

Postby HALFBAKED » Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:25 pm

Yes, I know all of this but I still want to connect my player to the Internet via my PC. If anyone know how to do this please let me know. For now just know that I have a PC with a broad band connection and want to share the Internet with my Roku player.
HALFBAKED

Postby dellsweig » Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:47 pm

HALFBAKED wrote:Yes, I know all of this but I still want to connect my player to the Internet via my PC. If anyone know how to do this please let me know. For now just know that I have a PC with a broad band connection and want to share the Internet with my Roku player.

I cannot think of a technical reason you would want to do this.

You already have a router - that router is doing NATing (address translation), providing firewalling and connecting two different subnets (your public ISP and your local LAN). Your PC using ICS works like a router - assigning DHCP addresses, NATing, etc. It is not designed or capable of simple bridging.

Simply put - you are introducing a host of problems which even if you worked through each one of them - your Roku would most likely not work correctly.

I suggest you take your request off this forum onto a Microsoft forum or a networking forum....
dellsweig

Postby philsoft » Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:51 pm

dellsweig wrote:
HALFBAKED wrote:Yes, I know all of this but I still want to connect my player to the Internet via my PC. If anyone know how to do this please let me know. For now just know that I have a PC with a broad band connection and want to share the Internet with my Roku player.

I think he doesn't want to haul a router around with him when he travels.
philsoft

Postby dellsweig » Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:03 pm

philsoft wrote:
dellsweig wrote:

I think he doesn't want to haul a router around with him when he travels.

I have a TINY wireless router (maybe 4inches square) I carry in my computer bag for just such occasions......

Trust me - trying to make ICS work like this is just not worth the effort.....
dellsweig

Postby HALFBAKED » Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:12 pm

What about windows 7 and a virtual router?
HALFBAKED

Postby wpbear » Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:09 pm

A good reason I can think of for this method is to allow Roku to be used with a proxy. Good for international roku travel on netflix to a USA account. A virtual router may be good idea.
wpbear

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion