Post Feedback on New Netflix Interface Here

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

Re: Post Feedback on New Netflix Interface Here

Postby Robert121571 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:48 pm

OK as of today I was able to download the new update.

I will say this I like it very much. The new darker background is nice. I had a hard time with the old one with the bright white background since it made it hard for my bad eyes to focus. With the dark background things stand out more for me to see them.

Now if we could just get either a setting in the box to override the the color settings for other apps or get the developers of them apps to stop using that bright white background. A darker background and white text is a lot easy to red on a screen.
Robert121571

Postby jcmolet » Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:13 pm

Robert121571 wrote:Now if we could just get either a setting in the box to override the the color settings for other apps or get the developers of them apps to stop using that bright white background. A darker background and white text is a lot easy to red on a screen.

Hopefully Roku will update the main Roku screen to bring it more in line - look and feel - with the Netflix UI and release the SDK that was used to develop the Netflix UI to the developers of the other channels so that they can update their channels. Not only because of the better look and feel, but also to add continuity between channels.
jcmolet

Postby rshatzer » Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:49 pm

Love the new channel (robertm does not speak for this user).

When using the arrow down to see different categories, once I reached the bottom (Foreign) I came to a dead end. If I was rolled over back to the top (my queue) that would be alot better.

I notice that all channels when at the top of a menu pushing the up arrow leads you back to channel index. I see how the roll over could be a problem...

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!
rshatzer

Postby RokuTom » Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:15 pm

FROM ROKU

Hi everyone,

We wanted to let you know that the next wave of Roku software upgrades is being pushed out today. During this wave, anyone will be able to update his/her Roku software manually to version 2.6, which includes the new Netflix interface. While we are enabling many more upgrades than in our first wave on Friday, we still are capping the total number of upgrades. That said, we hope to have all our customers on software version 2.6 within the next few days.

Follow these instructions to update your Roku software to version 2.6 right now:
• From the Roku home screen, select the “Settings” icon.
• Select the “Player Info” icon within “Settings.”
• Select “Check for Update.”
• Confirm that you want to update your player. Your player will begin downloading the software update.
• Once your player has been updated, select “OK” to restart the player.

Regards,
Tom Markworth
Roku
RokuTom

Postby robertm » Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:25 pm

It is gradually taking longer to load the netflix channel. Even with the IW queue pre-loaded it is taking 40 seconds now for everything to show up. On Friday it was taking less than 10 seconds. I hope this doesn't mean that as more and more people get the update the channel will take longer and longer to load.
robertm

Postby green2701 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:31 pm

I think the new interface is a big improvement, and my family (wife and two kids) is also enjoying a more ad-hoc TV watching experience. Nice job!

I am, however, seeing one problem. The new interface is cropped on all sides by a small amount of pixels. For example, the Netflix logo on the top is slightly cut off. I am using an HDMI cable to connect the Roku player to my Samsung 61' DLP HDTV. I noticed that the TV does not allow the display option "Just Scan" for the Roku player. I can only select "16:9", "Zoom" or "4:3". I am using the "16:9" setting, but there is still noticeable cropping (also called overscan). The TV does allow the display option "Just Scan" for all my other devices (DVD Player, DirecTV DVR, Xbox), and I don't see this cropping issue any where else. Is there a workaround or some setting in the Roku player that can allow the interface to be scaled down in size slightly?

That is my only problem, but I do have some more subjective comments. Basically I want to agree with some of the suggestions already posed by others (possibly to increase the request rating):

1. I don't want the Recently Watched list to be so prominently displayed. Perhaps there could be an option to turn this off while still making the list available in the "Settings" area.
2. I want some control over the order and/or presence of categories. I specifically don't like the Horror category being right next to the Children/Family category.
3. I want a better method of having some parental controls. A model I like is where you specify allowable movies/shows by rating. I could be prompted for a PIN when trying to watch a movie/show that has one of the "locked" ratings (like "R"). I have used a very similar system with the DirecTV DVR (HR21). While not perfect, I did think it mostly met my requirements. A Tivo unit I used to have also had a nice feature that let you unlock the system for a few hours, and then it would automatically lock again.

I realize that some or all of these suggestions are not completely under the control of the Roku developers. However, it is important for you to know what requirements are important to your customers.

Thanks again. I am thoroughly enjoying the new experience. I was really getting tired of seeing the nice Netflix interface on my friend's PS3, while I could only see my IW queue with Roku. Now this is even nicer than the PS3.
green2701

Postby kc8pql » Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:35 pm

robertm wrote:It is gradually taking longer to load the netflix channel. Even with the IW queue pre-loaded it is taking 40 seconds now for everything to show up. On Friday it was taking less than 10 seconds. I hope this doesn't mean that as more and more people get the update the channel will take longer and longer to load.

No, they're just out to get you. :D
Last edited by kc8pql on Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kc8pql
** Valued Community Member **

Postby Robert121571 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:23 pm

I have noticed something that some other people have mentioned about the over scan. Since I don't see well I wasn't looking at the sides of the screen too well but now that I have looked closer. I do see the problem that should be fixed. I will see if there is a way I can take a snap shot of my Tv screen and upload it so maybe Roku will see what every one is talking about.

OK I got a shot of my Tv screen sorry for bad quality my batteries were dead in my good camera so had to use one on phone and then use software to get it back level I can't never hold that phone strait to take a photo. This is an older Tv so it is 4:3 but look at the top where the writing is and you will see on left and right text is cut.

Robert121571

Postby buckminster » Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:43 pm

Update went without a hitch. The loading of the Netflix channel is obviously slower, but I do like not having to power cycle my roku box for the queue to update (always seemed necessary before). Larger images with the info box on the movie selection page are great. I haven't done any extensive playing with the newer features, but it's great to have the option of not having to add something to the queue to view it. Great Job.
buckminster

Postby shamrock1213 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:08 pm

I am actually having issues with the update. I am able to go in and select the manual update, but when it tries to download the update it stays around 0%. It has done this three times within the past hour. I imagine their servers are getting swamped now. How long is this upgrade window going to be open?
shamrock1213

Postby japzone » Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:40 pm

I just got the new UI today and was overall impressed. It isn't fancy looking but it's functionality is great. Everything runs smoothly and it's all pretty seamless. I do have some problems though.

1) I have a bloated queue. My family adds everything they like to the queue so they can watch it easily later, but this makes it take forever for the Netflix Channel to load when I first access it after a Reboot. If there's anyway to speed up that first boot it would be much appreciated.

2) The Roku itself still takes a long time to boot up as well and that's very inconvenient. I have 2 TVs I use the Roku on and I'm constantly moving the Roku back and forth between them. Meaning, I have to wait for the Roku to reboot every time. If there was any way to speed up the Roku's boot time it would be very helpful.

3) I agree with the guy above, in that, I'd like to be able to customize what gets shown on the Netflix Channel. I don't like the Horror genre being next to Children/Family genre(In fact nobody in my Family likes horror movies at all) and there are other Genres that I'd like to be on there that aren't (Like Anime and Animation) in fact being able to make custom genres (like using those tags at the bottom of a Movie/Series page \/) would be great.
Also if you could make it so we can save searches as a Genre like selection that'd be great as well.

4) I'd also like a cropping option so if I'm using a TV that's cropping the image I can shrink the picture to fit completely on the screen.

Thank you.
japzone

Postby RJP » Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:50 pm

Just updated both of my Roku boxes and really like the new interface.

This update solves a big problem for me. One of my two boxes is in the guest bedroom. Problem was that any guests who wanted to watch a Netflix movie had no way to search around for something he/she wanted to see - guests were limited to my IW queue, unless they went through some computer gyrations. Now guests can easily access most any title that Netflix carries in its IW catalog.

As a side light, I bought my boxes the first few weeks they were available. The one in the guest bedroom hadn't been used in a while, and wouldn't fire up when I went to do the update. After a little deductive testing, it turns out the power supply adapter went south - which seems logical after a few years. I'm pleased that Roku sells these as an accessory, and at a reasonable price - I got two, to be prepared should the other Box's power adapter also give up the ghost.
RJP

Postby markens » Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:49 pm

green2701 wrote:I am, however, seeing one problem. The new interface is cropped on all sides by a small amount of pixels. For example, the Netflix logo on the top is slightly cut off. I am using an HDMI cable to connect the Roku player to my Samsung 61' DLP HDTV. I noticed that the TV does not allow the display option "Just Scan" for the Roku player. I can only select "16:9", "Zoom" or "4:3". I am using the "16:9" setting, but there is still noticeable cropping (also called overscan). The TV does allow the display option "Just Scan" for all my other devices (DVD Player, DirecTV DVR, Xbox), and I don't see this cropping issue any where else. Is there a workaround or some setting in the Roku player that can allow the interface to be scaled down in size slightly?

I use my Roku via HDMI to a Samsung and get the "just scan" option ok. Sounds like you might have the display option on the Roku set to "16:9" instead of "HDTV" (Samsung won't give you the "just scan" option if the input is not HD resolution). Double check the Roku display option in settings.
markens

Postby waiting4hd » Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:08 am

Disappointed!I was hoping my queue would be broken into catagories. If you just add enough items to your queue via your PC you have no reason for a search and add feature on the Roku box but if my queue was broken down into catagories i could look at all the shows i obviously want to watch in an easier to find format. If i was in the mood for comedy all the shows i already know i want to watch would be in my comedy catagory. Plus the new interface is harder to see the queue and if you want to scroll it either goes too fast or you have to click through each one. The old way was better and easier on your eyes, the new one makes both my wife and i dizzy when scrolling fast. I already disabled the search feature and was hoping that when i did it went back to the new U.I.
waiting4hd

Postby canaws » Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:14 am

It took a while to get used to. I'm not too fond of the gray (personal preference), but I'm pretty happy with the new channel. I have the ability to browse categories for things I may not know I want to watch and add/delete items from my queue on the fly. Looks good to me! I appreciate the fact that I can turn off browse/search feature if I want to, too.
Roku 1 HD (N1100) / SDTV (Composite) / ATT Uverse 6.0 Mbps / Motorola NVG 510
canaws
** Valued Community Member **

PreviousNext

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion