How to "hide" a channel?

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

How to "hide" a channel?

Postby kaffejoe » Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:13 pm

Is there any way to hide a channel? As the list of available channels continues to grow, so does my frustration level. When I browse through available channels, I am forced to waste time scrolling through channels I will *never* want to view.

Users need the ability to tag a channel and hide it from view. Right now it's just a PITA. As the number of channels increase, it will become unmanagable
kaffejoe

Re: How to "hide" a channel?

Postby darium » Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:14 pm

Maybe I am misunderstanding you but you can remove any channel you wish by going into the channel, selecting the channel and choosing Remove Channel.
darium

Postby jcmolet » Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:30 pm

darium wrote:Maybe I am misunderstanding you but you can remove any channel you wish by going into the channel, selecting the channel and choosing Remove Channel.

I believe he is referring to the listing of all the channels in the Channel Store. There is no way to remove the available channels. It is not my intent to be a smart ass; however, the op should recognize that by definition all of the channels that are available to be added will populate that category. With that said, I agree that as the number of channels grow, whether it be in the available listing in the Channel Store or the channels on the main screen that have been added, the horizontal layout is not conducive to a good user experience. It is okay for scrolling through a few titles, but as the numbers grow it is a PITA, even with the ability to skip 5 at a time.
jcmolet

Postby kaffejoe » Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:51 pm

I believe he is referring to the listing of all the channels in the Channel Store. There is no way to remove the available channels. It is not my intent to be a smart ass; however, the op should recognize that by definition all of the channels that are available to be added will populate that category.

I understand the Channel Store does (and should) have a listing of all available channels. However, as a user, I should have the ability to filter that list and say "Don't show me the XYZ Channel in the future."

There are only about 40 channels right now, so it's no big deal at the present time. But are you really going to want to wade (reapeatedly) through 150 channels? (Maybe I've been spoiled by the TiVo interface.)
kaffejoe

Postby Village Idiot » Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:56 pm

maybe they should go with the style of layout that Netflix uses.
One tier for premium channels
Another tier for FREE channels
Another tier for channels like facebook, twitter
another tier for sports
You could find what you want easier and avoid entire groups your not interested in.
Village Idiot

Postby jcmolet » Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:24 pm

kaffejoe wrote:
I believe he is referring to the listing of all the channels in the Channel Store. There is no way to remove the available channels. It is not my intent to be a smart ass; however, the op should recognize that by definition all of the channels that are available to be added will populate that category.

I understand the Channel Store does (and should) have a listing of all available channels. However, as a user, I should have the ability to filter that list and say "Don't show me the XYZ Channel in the future."

There are only about 40 channels right now, so it's no big deal at the present time. But are you really going to want to wade (reapeatedly) through 150 channels? (Maybe I've been spoiled by the TiVo interface.)

I doubt very seriously if they are going to give users the ability to filter the listing of available channels in the Channel Store. Again, by the very definition of "available" I would think they are going to list all the channels that could be added. With that said, trust me, I know where you are coming from as it relates to the number of channels (titles) in a horizontal layout. I have long advocated in these forums for a new UI, and since the upgrade of Netflix to the grid UI, made the suggestion that the main screen and the other channels follow suit. Just this morning I went to watch HD Nation and lamented the fact that it took a while to scroll over to the show. Revision3 is one of those channels that has added new shows recently and the scroll left or right continues to grow and grow. On a semi-related note, I would also like the ability to choose where to place channels on my main screen. It would be nice to group the channels by movie/tv, sports, music or any other manner that suited my tastes.
jcmolet

Postby Village Idiot » Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:53 pm

[quote="jcmolet"][quote="kaffejoe"][quote] It would be nice to group the channels by movie/tv, sports, music or any other manner that suited my tastes.[/quote]

Yeah i kinda like my idea too. :idea:
Village Idiot

Postby moviegeek65 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:03 pm

I don't see a problem the way it is now, I only visit the channel store once a month to see what's new.
There's only 37 channels in there now so it's not a big deal, maybe when they get "100 channels by the end of the year" they should catagorize.
moviegeek65

Postby jcmolet » Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:16 pm

moviegeek65 wrote:I don't see a problem the way it is now, I only visit the channel store once a month to see what's new.
There's only 37 channels in there now so it's not a big deal, maybe when they get "100 channels by the end of the year" they should catagorize.

The categorization I was referring to would be on the main screen. It would be nice to arrange the channels in any preferred order.
jcmolet

Postby MoonChaser » Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:40 pm

One issue is, what if a person changes their mind? How would they "unhide" it? For example, I don't want the MLB channel. What if I started dating a woman who's a die-hard Dodgers fan? I would then need some way to "unhide" it so I could add it so she could get her fix. Same with UFC. Couldn't care less about it. But if someone somehow got me into it, then I would need to do the same thing.

A categorized view would be best... or maybe the "ALL" tab will always have everything, but the "NEW" tab that is the default view could be filtered in such a way. A couple ideas. I do agree, however, that there are channels that I could never see myself adding... not just the Sports channels, but also MobileTribe and a couple other pay-type channels. It would be nice to be able to cut down on the list.
MoonChaser

Postby robertm » Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:45 am

One way to handle it would be a personal rating system in the channel store. Anything you haven't rated (in other words, NEW) shows up at the beginning and then it goes from high to low.

You could then make it high to low on the main channel listing. Then you could change it anytime you want. During baseball season you might want MLB to be one of the top dogs and after you want it out of the way.

4 stars would be enough for me.

4=watch all the time
3=watch a few times a week
2=watch, but infrequently
1=no interest in watching
robertm

Postby Village Idiot » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:09 am

[quote="robertm"]One way to handle it would be a personal rating system in the channel store. Anything you haven't rated (in other words, NEW) shows up at the beginning and then it goes from high to low.

You could then make it high to low on the main channel listing. Then you could change it anytime you want. During baseball season you might want MLB to be one of the top dogs and after you want it out of the way.

4 stars would be enough for me.

4=watch all the time
3=watch a few times a week
2=watch, but infrequently
1=no interest in watching[/quote]

the problem with that is you have to rate everything and worse roku would have to sort everyone out individually as to how they rated stuff.
My idea was simple - tier layer by category.
you could skip categories of no interest to you.
it would be set the same for everyone so roku wouldnt have to keep track of how you voted
and no rating or work on your part.
Village Idiot

Postby Village Idiot » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:11 am

how come when i hit the quote button it doesn't box their post up ?
all it does is repeat it. Shoot i could copy&paste if i wanted that.
how do i get the quote to work right ?
Village Idiot

Postby RokuPatrick » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:33 am

Village Idiot wrote:how come when i hit the quote button it doesn't box their post up ?
all it does is repeat it. Shoot i could copy&paste if i wanted that.
how do i get the quote to work right ?

Try it now.

Regardless, we do have plans to improve the Channel Store as we increase the numbers of available public channels.
Patrick
Roku Developer Program Manager
RokuPatrick

Postby robertm » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:39 am

Village Idiot wrote:the problem with that is you have to rate everything and worse roku would have to sort everyone out individually as to how they rated stuff.
My idea was simple - tier layer by category.
you could skip categories of no interest to you.
it would be set the same for everyone so roku wouldnt have to keep track of how you voted
and no rating or work on your part.

Categories are no good because TV can have tons of channels for foreign TV shows that are of no interest. Movies are the same way. Roku, the company, doesn't have to store anything. It can be stored on my local player and sorted locally. It would be 1 extra byte per channel and a small sorting routine. Nothing could be easier. The best news is that once I have tried a channel and decided I don't like it I don't have to worry that in 6 months I might forget and waste time discovering I don't like it all over again. By the same token, if I think a channel has potential but not enough content for it to make the line-up right now or maybe it was buggy, I can rate it accordingly and try it again at some later time to see if it had gotten better.
robertm

Next

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion