NetFlix update breaks Roku remote control

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

NetFlix update breaks Roku remote control

Postby scotty321 » Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:43 am

You guys messed up the Roku remote control with this most recent update... Can you please fix the Roku remote so it works like it used to work?

I'm referring to the Roku remote's behavior while watching Netflix movies.

Before this update, the LEFT ARROW on the remote (not the rewind button, but the LEFT ARROW next to the home button) used to let you MANUALLY MOVE BACK ONE BOX AT A TIME. But after the update, the LEFT ARROW acts just like the REWIND BUTTON. So now we've ended up with TWO REWIND BUTTONS on the Roku remote, with no ability to manually move back one box at a time!!

This is so incredibly frustrating, because we can't easily move back a few seconds if we want to catch a word that we missed.

Same thing with the RIGHT ARROW and the fast forward button.

We don't need two rewind buttons nor two fast forward buttons... can you please revert the remote control back to how it used to be before the most recent update?

---
UPDATE: See more posts from me below for better clarification on this problem. This is actually SIMILAR to the real problem, but not the real problem.
Last edited by scotty321 on Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
scotty321

Re: NetFlix update breaks Roku remote control

Postby kumasuki » Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:35 am

What you are referring to is/was the 'instant replay' feature - it was intentionally removed from the latest firmware to help alleviate the increased overhead associated with the new Netflix interface. I believe Roku has plans to re-incorporate instant replay in a future firmware release.
--------------------------------------
Roku XDS; DSM-520; HDX1000 w/1TB drive; Neuros; Hauppauge 1212 HD-PVR; HDHomeRun; Vudu; VuNow HD; Boxee Box
kumasuki

Postby scotty321 » Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:42 am

kumasuki wrote:What you are referring to is/was the 'instant replay' feature - it was intentionally removed from the latest firmware to help alleviate the increased overhead associated with the new Netflix interface. I believe Roku has plans to re-incorporate instant replay in a future firmware release.

Sweet!! Thanks for the explanation and the information! :)
scotty321

Postby philsoft » Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:31 pm

The single frame navigation is working fine here. If you are seeing FF and FRew rather than single frame movement with the single arrows, I don't think that is normal.
philsoft
** Valued Community Member **

Postby scotty321 » Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:42 pm

philsoft wrote:The single frame navigation is working fine here. If you are seeing FF and FRew rather than single frame movement with the single arrows, I don't think that is normal.

Did you update to the newest software update, and you're still able to navigate a single frame at a time? I can no longer navigate a single frame at a time anymore.
scotty321

Postby philsoft » Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:47 pm

scotty321 wrote:
philsoft wrote:The single frame navigation is working fine here. If you are seeing FF and FRew rather than single frame movement with the single arrows, I don't think that is normal.

Did you update to the newest software update, and you're still able to navigate a single frame at a time? I can no longer navigate a single frame at a time anymore.

I have new firmware. Is anyone else seeing this? Where you can not navigate through a show by single frames, but rather are only able to navigate with FF and Rew quick scrolls?
philsoft

Postby renojim » Sat Jul 03, 2010 3:05 pm

I can confirm that the behavior described by the OP was present in build 672 (I think that was the build) and I disliked it as much as the OP did, but it is gone and has returned to the original way in build 677.

-JT
renojim

Postby RokuJon » Sat Jul 03, 2010 3:33 pm

We are aware of a bug where the left and right arrow can act like FF or REW when they are used to dismiss the screensaver. If you pause video then wait for the screen saver to appear and then use left or right to dismiss the screensaver it can go into fast forward or rewind mode.

This may be what the original poster encountered. This is a known problem that will be fixed in a future update.

Cheers.
Last edited by RokuJon on Sat Jul 03, 2010 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RokuJon

Postby scotty321 » Sat Jul 03, 2010 3:42 pm

I was actually seeing this behavior even before the screensaver kicked in, but it looks like I haven't tested this out since the new 677 build. As renojim mentioned above, this is now fixed in 677! :) Hip hip hooray!
scotty321

Postby renojim » Sat Jul 03, 2010 3:45 pm

Hmm... I'm pretty sure I saw the behavior when I paused a video and then pressed left/right (or possibly just pressed left/right without first pausing), but like I said, it's gone now.

-JT
renojim

Postby Maeby » Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:30 am

I'm still having this issue in the 677 build. It seems intermittent though. I can't seem to figure out what triggers it.
Maeby

Postby Maeby » Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:11 pm

When I hit the left arrow key to step back, it often goes into a rewind instead. It looks different from the regular rewind feature though. When you hit rewind, 3 arrows come up, and one, two, or three of them will light up depending on how fast you want to rewind. When I hit the left arrow, a half circle with an arrow on it pops up, but the result is the same. Fast rewinding instead of step. It's as if I am holding down the arrow instead of pressing it once. I have downloaded the iphone roku remote app, and get the same result using it, so the issue isn't a faulty remote.

This is driving me insane. By the time I've realized I am in full-on rewind mode, I have gone back a half hour or so in the show. I can fast forward to get to about the same spot I was in, but since there is no step forward or back anymore, I can't fine tune where I'd like to resume play. I often end up watching 5 minutes of a movie again in order to hear one word I missed. Running through the connection setup seems to make the step ability come back temporarily, till next time it gets stuck.
Maeby

Postby darium » Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:43 am

I have witnessed the same issue. Rather annoying.
darium

Postby aram535 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:26 pm

Hi,

I'm also having the same exact problem.

When watching a movie, and forwarding one or two frames ... the first one is okay. As soon as you try to go to the second frame it'll like the button is being held down. The only way to stop it seems to be hitting the fast-reverse button.

Aram
aram535

Postby scotty321 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:45 am

aram535 wrote:Hi,

I'm also having the same exact problem.

When watching a movie, and forwarding one or two frames ... the first one is okay. As soon as you try to go to the second frame it'll like the button is being held down. The only way to stop it seems to be hitting the fast-reverse button.

Aram

Oh <Force equals mass times acceleration>, I spoke too early... Aram is correct. The first frame is okay when you press the left or right arrow on the remote. But as soon as you go to the second frame, it suddenly goes into rewind or fast forward mode.

It never used to do this!

Roku employees, are you listening?! We need this fixed!

I emailed Roku about this problem, and they only replied with a form letter telling me to restart the Roku box. When I replied to that email, they replied again with the exact same form letter. Sheesh, this is HORRENDOUS customer service. I bought this box for the Netflix connectivity. If I knew that Roku had such horrible customer service, I never would have bought this box to begin with.
scotty321

Next

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion