Roku vs Hulu Plus

Discussions about Roku products, channels, and Roku-related topics.

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Roku vs Hulu Plus

Postby kumasuki » Sat Jul 03, 2010 5:40 pm

Some interesting commentary by Andy Ihnatko in the Sun-Times:

http://www.suntimes.com/technology/ihna ... 10.article
--------------------------------------
Roku XDS; DSM-520; HDX1000 w/1TB drive; Neuros; Hauppauge 1212 HD-PVR; HDHomeRun; Vudu; VuNow HD; Boxee Box
kumasuki

Re: Roku vs Hulu Plus

Postby jcmolet » Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:14 pm

I didn't see the article as a case of, nor do I believe it is, Roku vs Hulu. If anything, Hulu would be competing with Netflix. In any event, I would love to see Hulu Plus on the Roku DVP. The breadth of content may not be great yet and the ads are probably not ideal, but the ability to get some current network content on my Rokus would be great.
jcmolet

Postby rucknrun » Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:12 am

I second that. I brought my roku on vacation where they have good internet and horrible tv. It has been great. The addition of hulu plus on the roku would be awesome.
rucknrun

Postby shelleyp » Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:27 am

I had written in another thread that I wasn't sure about Hulu Plus since the content won't cover cable channels.

Still disappointed it won't contain cable channel material, such as the online Hulu site. However, I think it is a good option for folks, and I hope it does get ported to Roku.
shelleyp

Postby Mwewe » Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:07 pm

Thanks for the interesting posts.

What may kill Hulu for me is the commercials that you can't skip over. After watching so much on Netflix/Roku without the commercials, it's really painful to have one intrude on your programming.

Also, the 60 minute shows are only 42 minutes or so on Netflix, the half-hour ones are around 21 minutes. So, for example, where I can watch two episodes of 30Rock in an hour on cable or Hulu, I can watch three episodes on Netflix.

So not only do I avoid seeing the commercials I get more programs in the same amount of time -- or need less time to watch a program.

I hate the intrusiveness of commercials so much that I don't watch commercial TV unless I can fast forward over the commercials.

Mwewe
Mwewe

Postby Bron » Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:56 pm

Mwewe wrote:Thanks for the interesting posts.

What may kill Hulu for me is the commercials that you can't skip over. After watching so much on Netflix/Roku without the commercials, it's really painful to have one intrude on your programming.

Also, the 60 minute shows are only 42 minutes or so on Netflix, the half-hour ones are around 21 minutes. So, for example, where I can watch two episodes of 30Rock in an hour on cable or Hulu, I can watch three episodes on Netflix.

So not only do I avoid seeing the commercials I get more programs in the same amount of time -- or need less time to watch a program.

I hate the intrusiveness of commercials so much that I don't watch commercial TV unless I can fast forward over the commercials.

Mwewe

+1 -- I feel exactly the same way. Life without commercials is wonderful. I could never go back. I no longer watch cable at all and don't miss it a bit. The time savings is a big plus as well, as you also point out. Not since my ReplayTV 5000's have I been so happy. ;)
Bron

Postby philsoft » Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:22 pm

Bron wrote:Not since my ReplayTV 5000's have I been so happy. ;)

Hey, I still have one of those, and still use it occasionally :)
philsoft
** Valued Community Member **

Postby Bron » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:42 pm

philsoft wrote:
Bron wrote:Not since my ReplayTV 5000's have I been so happy. ;)

Hey, I still have one of those, and still use it occasionally :)

Same here. ;)
Bron

Postby philly_phenom » Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:30 am

I see no use for Hulu Plus since it doesn't carry any of the cable channel content (USA, SyFy, etc). Why do I want to pay $10 a month for stuff I can record off my antenna for free?

For old shows, I just use Netflix.
philly_phenom

Postby gotok » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:19 am

philly_phenom wrote:I see no use for Hulu Plus since it doesn't carry any of the cable channel content (USA, SyFy, etc). Why do I want to pay $10 a month for stuff I can record off my antenna for free?

My view exactly. I would much prefer getting the regular Hulu on Roku. It provides a lot of cable content that you don't get with Plus.
gotok

Postby Gilgamesh » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:50 am

philly_phenom wrote:I see no use for Hulu Plus since it doesn't carry any of the cable channel content (USA, SyFy, etc). Why do I want to pay $10 a month for stuff I can record off my antenna for free?

Well, many people can get little or no content by antenna; I am one of those. I live in an apartment in a rural area with zero signal on all over the air chs.

Therefore my current choices are satellite or cable (Both too expensive) or some type of internet solution.

The advantage of Hulu is that it centralizes much of the content I want but much all of that content is also available on the ch's websites.

I use both a computer hooked up to my HD tv and a ViewNow pod with Playon.

I very much prefer the Roku to the ViewNow but, right now, there is no way to get Hulu on my Roku.

There are a few intriguing possibilities that could bring Hulu to the Roku:

1 - Make a DLNA ch on the Roku that would allow Playon to be used. This is not real likely as DLNA support requires some components that are not available, curently, to developers.

2 - Make a direct Hulu ch on the Roku. I don't know if this is possible with the current development systems but most of Hulu's content does not stream in a format directly playanle on the Rolu; Unless the new mobile support is in a usable format.

3 - Since Playon, and other servers, produce an intermediate file that is what is actually streamed to the various devices it may be possible to have an existing, or new, ch use this file as a source. While providing an artificial interface to tell Hulu what to play through Playon, or other server.

4 - Have Hulu write a ch for the Roku and, therefore, provide the streams in proper form.

Of these the best would be #4 as that would mean no clumsy workarounds and less chance to be suddenly broken by upgrades or changes at any point along the chain.

I do not know what is possible but Hulu, and by extension Hulu+, would be a valuable addition to the Roku set of chs.

Oh, by the way, if anyone wants a tester for the early stages of a Hulu ch I would be more than willing and able. My Roku is mostly kept in developer mode for testing for others so one more would not matter. :D And I deal with occasional crashes and glitches on a regular basis.
Gilgamesh

Postby thehomelessguy » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:56 am

They do have the USA shows on regular Hulu (I'm watching psych right now). However they only have the five latest episodes. It'll still be worth getting hulu plus as you'll need it to use a set top box (for example the ps3 app and probably future roku/boxee apps).
thehomelessguy

Postby Gilgamesh » Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:13 am

Also there is a lot of SyFy ch content on Hulu, Warehouse 13, Sanctuary, Eureka, and most others.
Gilgamesh

Postby BoloMKXXVIII » Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:21 am

Gilgamesh wrote:Also there is a lot of SyFy ch content on Hulu, Warehouse 13, Sanctuary, Eureka, and most others.

You can find Warehouse 13, Santuary and Eureka on the Syfy site without paying Hulu. If you want to track them and other web shows in one place you can try Clicker.com.
The NSA is the largest criminal organization in the United States.

** Non-valued Community Member **
BoloMKXXVIII

Postby Gilgamesh » Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:39 am

BoloMKXXVIII wrote:You can find Warehouse 13, Santuary and Eureka on the Syfy site without paying Hulu. If you want to track them and other web shows in one place you can try Clicker.com.
Standard Hulu has them without paying and I do not find Clicker particulary easy to use or user friendly.
Gilgamesh

Next

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion