Time & Weather screensaver

Moderators: RokuShawnS, RokuDouglas, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Time & Weather screensaver

Postby renojim » Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:27 am

I created this for my own amusement, but I thought I'd share it. It's an LED clock screensaver with the current temperature, humidity, and barometer,.
The channel code is QZB4N or click here.

Once you've added the channel and entered the Channel Store to synchronize your DVP, go to the main Roku Player Settings and then choose "LED Time & Weather" as your screensaver. Go into the 'custom settings' to set your ZIP Code for the current weather information readout.

Enjoy!
-JT
Last edited by renojim on Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
renojim
** Valued Community Member **
 
Posts: 2393
Joined: Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:35 pm

Re: Time and temperature screensaver

Postby Saqqara » Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:36 am

Thanks, Jim!
Saqqara
 
Posts: 276
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:46 am

Re: Time and temperature screensaver

Postby jhernes » Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:43 am

Nice. Can you create something like Aqurium screensaver.
ROKU MODEL: N1000 - Decommissioned, HD 2000C-00 - Decommissioned, XS 3100R - Visio 50, R3 4200R - Samsung LN55
jhernes
 
Posts: 1371
Joined: Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:02 pm
Location: San Diego, CA

Re: Time and temperature screensaver

Postby RoadRanger » Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:57 am

Awesome -thanks! :mrgreen:

EDIT> Hmm... it worked fine on preview but when I let it come up "naturally" when in the NetFlix channel the temp is nowhere to be seen?

EDIT> Tried it again both from the NetFlix channel and the main menu and the temp came up :) - musta been a connection glitch :( . Ouch, gettin' hot outside here in New England ( 85 and climbing :( ).
Roku Digital Video Player links:
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/RokuDigitalVideoPlayer/links
Private Channel Database:
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/RokuDigitalVideoPlayer/database
RoadRanger
 
Posts: 271
Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:24 pm

Re: Time and temperature screensaver

Postby Robert99 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:27 am

It has a bug (which you should probably fix):

When in 12 hour mode, it displays times between 12:00noon and 1:00pm as 12:xx:xxam. Such times should be pm. Also if it has times between noon and 1:00pm reversed, it is likely that times between midnight and 1:00am may be reversed as well.


Also a few suggestions (feature requests):

1) Could you either make the font bigger, or give an option to adjust the font size? The text on this thing is much smaller than the "ROKU Digitial Clock", and I really don't want to give up that size advantage to use your clock.

2) How about a rename of the screen saver, that somehow indicates that temperature (weather info) is included? When selecting that clock, from the screen saver list, there is no indication at all that the temp is included with the time. While that might not be an issue right after installing the clock (and selecting it the first time), remembering that detail about the clock (months?) later might be easier if your screensaver name reflected that fact.

3) Any thoughts on including more weather info than just temp (for example pressure and humidity)?

4) Any possibility of the end user choosing the font, like is possible with the ROKU digitial clock? I personally prefer the font options on the built in (ROKU) digital clock, as I like a smoother font (then the "LED" looking one you have), and that is a choice/option on ROKU's Digital Clock screensaver. However, your screen saver has the key advantage of including the temp as well (which the built in ROKU screen saver doesn't have).
Robert99
 
Posts: 308
Joined: Sun Jul 20, 2008 8:38 am

Re: Time and temperature screensaver

Postby renojim » Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:31 am

It will take a few seconds to retrieve the temperature when it first starts up, so it may not show up right away. It checks the temperature when it first starts and then at the 5 minute marks after that, so if for some reason it didn't get a response when it first started it won't try again until the next 5 minute mark (i.e., the minute ends in a 0 or a 5).

If for some reason the temperature isn't showing, go to weather.com and enter your ZIP Code there to make sure it works there.

-JT
renojim
** Valued Community Member **
 
Posts: 2393
Joined: Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:35 pm

Re: Time and temperature screensaver

Postby renojim » Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:51 am

Robert99 wrote:It has a bug (which you should probably fix):

When in 12 hour mode, it displays times between 12:00noon and 1:00pm as 12:xx:xxam. Such times should be pm. Also if it has times between noon and 1:00pm reversed, it is likely that times between midnight and 1:00am may be reversed as well.

It's not noon here yet! :D I can't believe I let that slip through. I'll fix it right away.

Robert99 wrote:Also a few suggestions (feature requests):

1) Could you either make the font bigger, or give an option to adjust the font size? The text on this thing is much smaller than the "ROKU Digitial Clock", and I really don't want to give up that size advantage to use your clock.

You must have an HDTV (I know, I'm the only one in the world that doesn't). It was meant to be about the same size as the Roku clock and is on my SDTV. I'll adjust the size based on the user's screen.

Robert99 wrote:2) How about a rename of the screen saver, that somehow indicates that temperature (weather info) is included? When selecting that clock, from the screen saver list, there is no indication at all that the temp is included with the time. While that might not be an issue right after installing the clock (and selecting it the first time), remembering that detail about the clock (months?) later might be easier if your screensaver name reflected that fact.

I thought the same thing. The temperature was a late addition, so it was just an LED clock. You're right, I should change the name. I just didn't want to redo the channel graphic. It's not easy to spell words with a 7-segment display! :P

Robert99 wrote:3) Any thoughts on including more weather info than just temp (for example pressure and humidity)?

I've thought about it and will look into it.

Robert99 wrote:4) Any possibility of the end user choosing the font, like is possible with the ROKU digitial clock? I personally prefer the font options on the built in (ROKU) digital clock, as I like a smoother font (then the "LED" looking one you have), and that is a choice/option on ROKU's Digital Clock screensaver. However, your screen saver has the key advantage of including the temp as well (which the built in ROKU screen saver doesn't have).

To be honest, I dislike the Roku LED font because it doesn't look like any LED display that I've ever seen. A true LED display is made up of segments, so when the digits change any segment that doesn't "go out" shouldn't move. I keep playing with the font because it doesn't have the look I'm really going for. It's my own true type font and it looks better scaled up on my computer than it does on the Roku. I may add an option for a plain font of some sort.

Thanks for the feedback!
-JT
renojim
** Valued Community Member **
 
Posts: 2393
Joined: Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:35 pm

Re: Time and temperature screensaver

Postby renojim » Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:53 am

jhernes wrote:Nice. Can you create something like Aqurium screensaver.

Not without a server to produce the graphics to stream to the Roku. Maybe I could find an online "aquarium cam". :D

-JT
renojim
** Valued Community Member **
 
Posts: 2393
Joined: Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:35 pm

Re: Time and temperature screensaver

Postby RoadRanger » Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:13 am

renojim wrote:It will take a few seconds to retrieve the temperature when it first starts up, so it may not show up right away. It checks the temperature when it first starts and then at the 5 minute marks after that, so if for some reason it didn't get a response when it first started it won't try again until the next 5 minute mark (i.e., the minute ends in a 0 or a 5).
Might I suggest that it retries continuously (or every 15 seconds to one minute?) with a "Retrieving" or "??" message when it can't retrieve the temp? Once it has successfully retrieved the temp, every 5 (or even every 15) minutes is fine :).
Roku Digital Video Player links:
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/RokuDigitalVideoPlayer/links
Private Channel Database:
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/RokuDigitalVideoPlayer/database
RoadRanger
 
Posts: 271
Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:24 pm

Re: Time and temperature screensaver

Postby renojim » Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:51 am

RoadRanger wrote:Might I suggest that it retries continuously (or every 15 seconds to one minute?) with a "Retrieving" or "??" message when it can't retrieve the temp? Once it has successfully retrieved the temp, every 5 (or even every 15) minutes is fine :).

That seems reasonable. Are you seeing a problem where it doesn't always retrieve the temperature on the first try?

-JT
renojim
** Valued Community Member **
 
Posts: 2393
Joined: Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:35 pm

Re: Time and temperature screensaver

Postby renojim » Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:52 am

Ok, I fixed the noon/pm issue and adjusted the size for HDTV. Enter the channel store to resync.

-JT
renojim
** Valued Community Member **
 
Posts: 2393
Joined: Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:35 pm

Re: Time and temperature screensaver

Postby robertm » Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:09 pm

I like it. I still wish we could have this information when we pause. It would be so useful.
robertm
 
Posts: 2584
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:06 pm

Re: Time and temperature screensaver

Postby sweller » Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:47 pm

renojim wrote:I can't believe I let that slip through. I'll fix it right away.

God bless self-motivated people like you! Otherwise, lazy slobs like me would have to do it ourselves. :mrgreen:
Composed of 100% recycled photons.
sweller
 
Posts: 161
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:37 am
Location: Los Alamos, NM

Re: Time and temperature screensaver

Postby robertm » Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:52 pm

Ok I have a serious complaint. My screensaver says it is 100 degrees here. That is way too hot. Make it cooler please. Let me know when I can sync with the channel store for relief.
robertm
 
Posts: 2584
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:06 pm

Re: Time and temperature screensaver

Postby kc8pql » Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:30 pm

robertm wrote:Ok I have a serious complaint. My screensaver says it is 100 degrees here. That is way too hot. Make it cooler please. Let me know when I can sync with the channel store for relief.

If he can get that to work, I'll buy three more boxes.
kc8pql
** Valued Community Member **
 
Posts: 7504
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:54 pm
Location: US

Next

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: JimDandySTX and 14 guests