Parental Control

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

Parental Control

Postby Waferboy » Sat Jul 17, 2010 1:46 am

Hello,

A feature option I'd like to ask Roku to set up is parental control on their boxes. I didn't think much about it before the Netflix upgrade but I see now with the Netflix interface that Roku should set up a way to turn on parental controls. Being able to turn off NR, UR, PG13, TV14, etc would be a great addition to this box. I'm sure this sophisticated box could easily read/see the rating for anything playing through it and shut it down if set up properly.

From what I can tell, even though I can set the rating for what Netflix will show on the screen, the Netflix search option still allows me to search for the word "sex", show all the hits and play whatever I want. So the control on the Netflix end is really non-existent. Again, if the ROKU box could just watch the "rating signal" coming through with any show being played, it should be able to shut it down pretty easily. A simple pin could allow it to play.

Icing on the cake would be if the Roku box could just eliminate any description of a movie above the set rating. I'm not sure that's Roku's job, so now I'll be off to Netflix to give them a paragraph or two.

Thanks!

Waferboy
Waferboy

Re: Parental Control

Postby Village Idiot » Sat Jul 17, 2010 5:51 am

the parent control issue has already been beaten to death here.
Roku is NOT going to have parental control.
Your choices are go after every channel you add
OR
hide the remote and teach your kids what NOT to touch.
Village Idiot

Postby Gilgamesh » Sat Jul 17, 2010 7:47 am

Yes, this has been hashed nearly to death but it is a critical issue that needs to be resolved and the current system is not able to provide the safeguards that are needed/wanted by many.

The rating system itself is where the fault lies. It is woefully inadequate to the task of providing real guidelines and controls for use by either parents or others that have a ligament interest in limiting content that is allowed to be provided by a particular device.

One person may find any nudity offensive but quite high levels of violence OK and others may find all levels of nudity OK but find even moderate violence offensive.

Roku should provide the tools to use data provided by the content itself to prevent content from playing on their box BUT it is the content provider’s responsibility to tag their content with enough data to allow the limiting system to function without, in any way, trying to impose anyone’s views on another.

The current system of ratings is NOT adequate for proper control as I believe it should be implemented.

What is needed is a simple data container with just a few fields either attached to the movies or able to be read by devices before the movie is played.

Each field could contain a value (1-10) where 1 is perfectly acceptable and 10 is the most extreme of that kind of content. The fields should include.

Language
Violence
Nudity
Sex
Drugs
And others, within reasonable limits.

Each device would use this data much in the way the current rating system is used BUT it should be required that all generally available content be so tagged. Then the user could set each field to her (or his) tolerance level.

This would be a bit of an undertaking for existing content but the public’s feedback can be used to fill in the gaps. New content would be easy to implement.

Obviously most existing devices could not conform to this but many, like the Roku, could be updated to handle it.

There is much that would need to be hashed out but it should be doable.

The current rating system is woefully flawed and MUCH too political. and much too subjective. Also there is no way to tune it for the individual.

However, as long as there is not a real improvement to the rating system we must either live with the limits or not use the offending device.

It is far from a perfect world but it is the one we have and we can either change it or live with it.

Of course, "We need to toilet train the World, then we need never change it again."
Gilgamesh

Postby bc24 » Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:45 pm

Gilgamesh wrote:What is needed is a simple data container with just a few fields either attached to the movies or able to be read by devices before the movie is played.

Each field could contain a value (1-10) where 1 is perfectly acceptable and 10 is the most extreme of that kind of content. The fields should include.

Language
Violence
Nudity
Sex
Drugs
And others, within reasonable limits.

Each device would use this data much in the way the current rating system is used BUT it should be required that all generally available content be so tagged. Then the user could set each field to her (or his) tolerance level.

This is way too overly complicated. All they need to do is block content based on the MPAA rating and implement a Pin code to watch it. Anything else is too complex and too complicated.
bc24

Postby jcmolet » Sat Jul 17, 2010 1:32 pm

Please, not this discussion again. :?

It REALLY has been beaten to death. A quick search will pull up any of the numerous threads that have addressed this.
jcmolet

Postby nmckenna » Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:47 pm

Village Idiot wrote:the parent control issue has already been beaten to death here.

hide the remote and teach your kids what NOT to touch.

Come and join us on Planet Earth some time.
nmckenna

Postby Village Idiot » Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:09 pm

What exactly am i missing on your version of the planet ?
Like it or not i at least had a suggestion.
You had nothing but a cheap insult to offer.
Village Idiot

Postby nmckenna » Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:25 am

Telling kids what they can and can't watch. It might work on your planet, not on mine.

If you'd bother to read my other post you'll see I in fact had several suggestions. We're not asking Roku to step in as moral arbiters. Just create folders and give the administrator the option to lock to any folder with a five digit password. Could NOT be simpler. No tags, no ratings, no nothing.
nmckenna

Postby Village Idiot » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:02 am

What post are you referring to ?
I don't see any previous post in this thread from you offering any real suggestions ?
Oh i get it i'm suppose to look at all your posts from other threads ? Yeah right.
What is it with you guys who want parental control that its always up to someone else to solve your lack of parental skills ?
Sheesh just take control of the remote.
Teach your kid what not to touch. I did mine and she turned out just fine without a single parental control device.
I'll bet you were raised without any parental controls devices too and you lived through it ok.
Think of it this way if your kid sees something you object to its a great parental teaching moment.
You can then teach your kid the restrictions and more important the way of being responsible in life you expect out of your kid.
Parental controls actually hurt parents. They rob you of the chance to bond and teach your kid right from wrong.
Part of growing into an adult is learning from your parents the type of behavior that is acceptable in life.
Do you seriously want to give that up to a parental control device ?
Village Idiot

Postby robertm » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:35 am

This would not be a heavily debated issue if CERTAIN people would stop feeling the need to tell parents how to parent their children. This is a support forum for roku and it is none of our business how parents take care of their children. The fact of the matter is the lack of true parental controls is a glaring mistake and it is one that netflix is taking heat over. The more devices they get on that provides them access to the living room the more calls they get. It wouldn't surprise me at all for a true parental control system to be in place sometime later this year.
robertm

Postby Village Idiot » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:40 am

I hope not.
Village Idiot

Postby robertm » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:51 am

I am sure you don't. Then parents wouldn't have to come in here and be attacked for asking for something that is commonplace among other living room devices.

Otherwise, I don't see how it affects you.
robertm

Postby RokuPatrick » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:05 am

Please simmer down...
Patrick
Roku Developer Program Manager
RokuPatrick

Postby MoonChaser » Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:51 pm

It's an overly complicated way of doing things, plus it is too subjective... a 8 for one person might be a 3 for another. Case in point: roughly 10 years ago I had a data entry job, and some of the older ladies I worked with were talking about the remake of Thomas Crown Affair. They said it was a horrible movie because there was "too much nudity". Being a guy, I thought that might be a good movie to see... :D I watched it and kept waiting for "all this nudity" they kept talking about. Over 2 hour movie, MAYBE 5 minutes TOTAL nudity, and not even that much compared to a lot of other movies (like maybe a topless scene or two as opposed to full nudity).

Could SOME families benefit from some form of parental control? Sure, but maybe try MPAA ratings with a checkmark for why they are rated that way (no scale). So if you have a movie rated R for nudity or a movie rated R for violence people could select it that way. That would also require a LOT less work on the part of the content providers... MPAA rating is already provided, and no need for someone to go through each one of 40,000+ selections to evaluate how much of a certain thing there was. Of course, watching the Roku WITH your kids and not allowing them to view unattended is even better.
MoonChaser

Postby Village Idiot » Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:56 pm

Moon thank you for making my point.
Parental control stuff is totally impossible. Especially for something like roku.
The real solution is being with your kid. Being a real parent.
Helping your kids make real choices in life.
It amazes me that some people find saying that offensive.
Village Idiot

Next

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion