More than one Roku box in the house?

Discussion not related to any specific Roku product.

Moderator: RokuJamesL

More than one Roku box in the house?

Postby etsuHoopsFan » Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:00 pm

Sorry relatively new to Roku, so excuse the ignorance. We have a Roku box in one room and are wanting to get another one for the bedroom. Can you have more than one box in the same house? We currently have the basic Netflix 1 dvd out plan. We also have set up a lot of other channels on the one Roku box (i.e., Amazon, Pandora, etc.). Will the 2nd box need to be set up like the first and can we use the same Amazon/Netflix account info? Thanks.
etsuHoopsFan

Re: More than one Roku box in the house?

Postby KennyJ » Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:01 pm

Netflix (and possibly Amazon?) allow you have up to 6 netflix-ready devices registered. However, their terms of service says that you can only simultaneously stream the same number of movies that you your DVD subscription allows. E.G. 1 DVD = 1 Stream at a time, 2 DVDs = 2 streams at a time, etc.

You also need adequate bandwidth to stream 2 movies simultaneously.

Other than that, you should have no problems.
KennyJ

Postby etsuHoopsFan » Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:22 pm

Thanks. Do you know, if we can simultaneously watch shows we have already purchased ....say from Amazon? In other words watching two already paid for TV shows we have in que.
etsuHoopsFan

Postby bactrian5 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:32 pm

I'm curious about this also, will MLB.com work on the second box? Interested in watching netflix and MLB on my workshop TV while puttering around.

Tim
bactrian5

Postby starocks71 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:32 pm

I noticed the post comment that "You also need adequate bandwidth to stream 2 movies simultaneously. "

What is adequate for 2 or even 3 Roku boxes in the home streaming simultaneously. And, from what server?

At speedtest.net, I found that we had 16.77 Mbps on the wired computer and 10.8 using a computer on the wireless network. This was from Atlanta to Greenville, SC.

This info would be helpful in determining whether we purchase additional units.

Thank you.
starocks71

Postby daisy.frederick » Thu Oct 14, 2010 4:12 pm

Hi Bactrian5,

For MLB.com its one subscription per Roku player.
daisy.frederick

Postby daisy.frederick » Thu Oct 14, 2010 4:23 pm

txt string error
Last edited by daisy.frederick on Sun Oct 17, 2010 2:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
daisy.frederick

Postby KennyJ » Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:10 pm

daisy.frederick wrote:Hi starocks71,

If you are using the RCA cable (composite-R,W,Y) the minimum required internet speed is - 1.5 mbps (per Roku player)
If using a HDMI cable - 3.5 mbps (per Roku player) for High definition
If using a component cable - 3.00 mbps (per Roku player)

Note: Your Speed test results look good :)

It has nothing to do with the cables you use. Netflix uses five streams. Currently, their top stream is at 3.5mbps which is HD -- both HDMI and component give you 720p HD signals. Their top SD stream is 1.5mbps. It doesn't matter what cable you use (HDMI, component, composite, etc), you need at least 1.5 to get 4 dots on Netflix.
KennyJ

Postby RokuJamesL » Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:32 pm

daisy.frederick wrote:Hi starocks71,

If you are using the RCA cable (composite-R,W,Y) the minimum required internet speed is - 1.5 mbps (per Roku player)
If using a HDMI cable - 3.5 mbps (per Roku player) for High definition
If using a component cable - 3.00 mbps (per Roku player)

Note: Your Speed test results look good :)

You resurrected a two month old thread to give out totally wrong information?
RokuJamesL
Roku Engineering

Postby hn333 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:14 pm

KennyJ wrote:Netflix (and possibly Amazon?) allow you have up to 6 netflix-ready devices registered. However, their terms of service says that you can only simultaneously stream the same number of movies that you your DVD subscription allows. E.G. 1 DVD = 1 Stream at a time, 2 DVDs = 2 streams at a time, etc.

I don't know about that. I have the one dvd plan and I can stream two devices at the same time.
hn333

Postby KennyJ » Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:35 pm

hn333 wrote:
KennyJ wrote:Netflix (and possibly Amazon?) allow you have up to 6 netflix-ready devices registered. However, their terms of service says that you can only simultaneously stream the same number of movies that you your DVD subscription allows. E.G. 1 DVD = 1 Stream at a time, 2 DVDs = 2 streams at a time, etc.

I don't know about that. I have the one dvd plan and I can stream two devices at the same time.

They don't seem to be enforcing it, but it does appear to be a violation of their terms of service:
http://www.netflix.com/FAQ?p_faqid=2902

If you are on the 1-disc-out-at-a-time plan, you may watch only one device at a time. . . For example, if you're on the 1-disc plan, you can have up to six devices associated with your account, but you can only watch one of them at a time.

http://www.netflix.com/TermsOfUse#instant
KennyJ

Postby hn333 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:31 pm

KennyJ wrote:
hn333 wrote:

They don't seem to be enforcing it, but it does appear to be a violation of their terms of service:
http://www.netflix.com/FAQ?p_faqid=2902

If you are on the 1-disc-out-at-a-time plan, you may watch only one device at a time. . . For example, if you're on the 1-disc plan, you can have up to six devices associated with your account, but you can only watch one of them at a time.

http://www.netflix.com/TermsOfUse#instant

Well considering Netflix is moving away from the DVD plan to just Streaming only I can see why they don't enforce it.
hn333

Postby KennyJ » Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:02 pm

hn333 wrote:
Well considering Netflix is moving away from the DVD plan to just Streaming only I can see why they don't enforce it.

They have said in the recent plan they plan to ship DVD/BD until 2030.
KennyJ

Postby hn333 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:50 pm

KennyJ wrote:
hn333 wrote:

LOL will people even have DVD/BD players in 2030? Holographic data storage and Downloads are the future. Well it's nice to know they plan to keep sending out disks, I bet the price will be higher for that service.
hn333

Postby KennyJ » Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:12 am

78/*-
hn333 wrote:
KennyJ wrote:
hn333 wrote:

LOL will people even have DVD/BD players in 2030? Holographic data storage and Downloads are the future. Well it's nice to know they plan to keep sending out disks, I bet the price will be higher for that service.

I think physical media of some sort (whether its DVD/BD) will be around for the next 20 years. VHS was around from 1976 to about 2001. I don't dispute what your saying, but I do think Netflix is right that physical media will still be around for the next 20 years. It will take a lot of bandwidth to stream or download BD (25-50gb @ 36 Mbit/s). Look how many people on these forums still have 1Mbps download speeds (or less). I think it will take 10 years for the majority of the US homes to even be capable of something like 50Mbos.

But there is another factor. Studios love physical media.

Either way, your comment, "considering Netflix is moving away from the DVD plan to just Streaming only" is not true anytime soon.
KennyJ

Next

Return to Roku General