must always power cycle for internet connection

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

must always power cycle for internet connection

Postby hal » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:29 am

Roku works perfectly once I make an internet connection, but it won't connect unless I power cycle my modem/router and the player. Occurs after Roku has been off a couple hours and occurs with both a wired or wireless connection. Power cycling my actiontec dsl modem/router and Roku always bring it back up and it works fine. Four call to support yielded people eager to help, but no permanent solution.

I have used a vast variety of wired and wireless devices with my actiontec modem (GT704-WG) without any problem, so I am inclined to believe my issue is roku specific. (I noticed another user with this problem said he got his player from Amazon, which I did as well. Maybe the batch Amazon is selling is defective.) For what it is worth, here's my wired connection: Actiontec is connected directly via ethernet cable to a netgear powerline adapter; the netgear adapter sends a wired signal via my house wiring to another netgear adapter at a different location; the latter adapter is connected via ethernet cable to my Roku player.

My next step will be to return my Roku player to Amazon and buy a blueray player with netflix capability.
hal

Re: must always power cycle for internet connection

Postby philsoft » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:56 am

hal wrote:Roku works perfectly once I make an internet connection, but it won't connect unless I power cycle my modem/router and the player. Occurs after Roku has been off a couple hours and occurs with both a wired or wireless connection. Power cycling my actiontec dsl modem/router and Roku always bring it back up and it works fine. Four call to support yielded people eager to help, but no permanent solution.

I have used a vast variety of wired and wireless devices with my actiontec modem (GT704-WG) without any problem, so I am inclined to believe my issue is roku specific. (I noticed another user with this problem said he got his player from Amazon, which I did as well. Maybe the batch Amazon is selling is defective.) For what it is worth, here's my wired connection: Actiontec is connected directly via ethernet cable to a netgear powerline adapter; the netgear adapter sends a wired signal via my house wiring to another netgear adapter at a different location; the latter adapter is connected via ethernet cable to my Roku player.

My next step will be to return my Roku player to Amazon and buy a blueray player with netflix capability.

I am not familiar with your particular modem, so I don't know if you need to login to connect to the internet, but if you can, try connecting the Roku DVP directly to the modem and see if you can connect that way. It would be helpful to know if you have had this device running as expected previously. I take it that the Actiontec is a router as well as a modem? I would try (temporarily) disabling any firewalls, and security in the router settings. If you are then able to connect, re-enable those one by one until you find the setting that is causing the issue.
If all else fails press and hold the red reset button (On bottom of XR unit, on rear of others) for a full minute while powered. Disregard any rebooting just hold that button for a full minute.
philsoft
** Valued Community Member **

Postby theosts@gmail.com » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:55 pm

I had the same problem with my Actiontec GT704-WG modem and roku. After sitting overnight I had to power cycle the modem to get roku to connect. My set up is Actiontec DSL modem to Actiontec power line internet adapter in my office. Then Power line adapter in my basement to roku. I have solved this problem by putting a router (cheap Comp USA brand) between the basement power line adapter and the roku. Since I put this in I have not had to power cycle the modem to get roku to connect.

Hope this helps someone else with this problem.
theosts@gmail.com

Postby knuckle » Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:56 pm

not to stop helpful folk from helping but the OP is two years old
ROKU 1 XD J0A113014862
ROKU 2 LT 16A182002191
ROKU 2 LT #2 16A19K025194
ROKU HD 18D2CP067635
all running wireless on a Netgear WNR 1000

favorite channel-- Justin TV
knuckle

Postby dgrace » Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:08 pm

knuckle wrote:not to stop helpful folk from helping but the OP is two years old

Wow, that's young!
"I might be moving to Montana soon..."
Frank Zappa
dgrace

Postby knuckle » Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:39 am

Wow, that's young!

yes but very mature for his age :)
ROKU 1 XD J0A113014862
ROKU 2 LT 16A182002191
ROKU 2 LT #2 16A19K025194
ROKU HD 18D2CP067635
all running wireless on a Netgear WNR 1000

favorite channel-- Justin TV
knuckle

Postby dgrace » Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:50 am

Honestly, I didn't look at the posting date, assumed, I guess, since it wasn't locked. Maybe the forum can automatically lock threads after, say, 6 months (or less) of no activity.
I often wonder what happened to posters that did not get a resolve to their problem/question yet disappear. If it were me, I'd at least want some reply to know it was getting attention, even if it was just to keep the thread active.
"I might be moving to Montana soon..."
Frank Zappa
dgrace

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion