Multiple Rokus

Discussions about Roku products, channels, and Roku-related topics.

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Multiple Rokus

Postby balmy66012 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 5:14 pm

Can I hookup more than one Roku to my Wireless router? Also, is the Roku HD-XR worth the extra money?

Thanks in advance,

B
balmy66012

Re: Multiple Rokus

Postby Gilgamesh » Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:16 pm

Can I hookup more than one Roku to my Wireless router?

Yes.

Also, is the Roku HD-XR worth the extra money?

I do not think so but there are others that will disagree. I find no value, for me, in any of the enhancements of the HD-XR over the HD.
Gilgamesh

Postby jcmolet » Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:22 pm

Multiple devices, Roku or otherwise, can connect to your wireless router. The HD-XR model might be worth it if you plan to make use (external drives such as a thumb drive) of the USB port. There are now multiple solutions (e.g. Roksbox and Sunimi) for utilizing the USB port.
jcmolet

Postby philsoft » Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:24 pm

Gilgamesh wrote:
Can I hookup more than one Roku to my Wireless router?

Yes.

Also, is the Roku HD-XR worth the extra money?

I do not think so but there are others that will disagree. I find no value, for me, in any of the enhancements of the HD-XR over the HD.

IF you have, or wish to have, video encoded in the correct format, and have it on a USB hard drive, OR you need wireless n networking, then you may want the HD-XR.
philsoft
** Valued Community Member **

Postby jcmolet » Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:27 pm

Gilgamesh wrote:I do not think so but there are others that will disagree. I find no value, for me, in any of the enhancements of the HD-XR over the HD.

While I would agree that most user will not get any real enhancement with the HD-XR model regarding its support for the 'n' standard, for those desiring the ability to use external hard drives via the USB port, the HD-XR is the only game in town and could be considered a significant enhancement.
jcmolet

Postby Robert99 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:31 pm

balmy66012 wrote:Can I hookup more than one Roku to my Wireless router?

Yes. And if you have enough bandwidth (from your ISP), you can even run more than one ROKU at the same time.

NOTE: Some ROKU channels/services (especially premimum/pay channels) restrict how many ROKU's you can link to the same account (you are paying for). For example, NetFlix has a limit of one device (ROKU in this case) per "DVD" in your plan (up to 4 maximum devices). So if you are only on the one DVD NetFlix plan, you are only allowed one ROKU at a time (watching NetFlix). However, if you were on the 3 DVD NetFlix plan, you could run up to 3 ROKUs watching NetFlix (at the same time) if you have enough bandwidth from your ISP for that.

FWIW: My house has 2 ROKUs, although we don't use wireless (all wired ethernet here). And since I have 10 meg (768k up) internet, and the 3 DVD at a time NetFlix plan, both ROKUs can be running NetFlix at the same time if/when we wish that.

balmy66012 wrote:Also, is the Roku HD-XR worth the extra money?

Depend upon what features are important to you. While I advise my friends to avoid the cheapest SD model (due to the limitations built into that model), there really are only 2 features the XR model has over the HD.

One XR feature is the enhanced wireless support, which while not needed to use the ROKU wirelessly (the wireless support in the HD model is apparently enough for many ROKU users), it might be of some interest to people who happen to have a router that supports those specific wireless features.

And the other XR only feature is the USB port (which some ROKU channels are now starting to make use of). If you think you might want to use a USB port feature at some point, spending the extra for the XR might be worth it (which btw was the key reason I chose to get the XR during my last ROKU purchase).

However, if you don't think you will ever want to use the USB port, nor the XR only wireless features, than there is no real reason to get the XR over the (mid-priced) HD model. Because it is only those two features that distinguish the XR over the HD model.
Robert99

Postby bigthrust » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:47 pm

Robert99 wrote:
NOTE: Some ROKU channels/services (especially premimum/pay channels) restrict how many ROKU's you can link to the same account (you are paying for). For example, NetFlix has a limit of one device (ROKU in this case) per "DVD" in your plan (up to 4 maximum devices). So if you are only on the one DVD NetFlix plan, you are only allowed one ROKU at a time (watching NetFlix). However, if you were on the 3 DVD NetFlix plan, you could run up to 3 ROKUs watching NetFlix (at the same time) if you have enough bandwidth from your ISP for that.

Robert99, sorry but your statement about the number of allowed Netflix activations is not true. I subscribe to the 1 DVD plan and have 3 devices activated (1 Roku HD and 2 Xbox360 game consoles) at the moment but you can have up to 6 devices activated. So you can have up to 6 Roku devices activated to your Netflix account if needed.
bigthrust

Postby scyber » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:57 pm

bigthrust wrote:
Robert99 wrote:

Robert99, sorry but your statement about the number of allowed Netflix activations is not true. I subscribe to the 1 DVD plan and have 3 devices activated (1 Roku HD and 2 Xbox360 game consoles) at the moment but you can have up to 6 devices activated. So you can have up to 6 Roku devices activated to your Netflix account if needed.

Yep that's correct up to 6 devices per account. However, what I believe what confused Robert is that the Netflix Terms of Service state that you can only stream to 1 device per DVD at the same time. So if you have the 1 DVD plan, you can only stream to 1 device at a time (3 DVD plan = 3 devices at a time, etc.). Of course some people have reported success streaming to multiple devices simultaneously on the 1 DVD plan, so Netflix may not be strictly enforcing this rule. However, since it is stated in the Terms of Service, they can try lock that down at any time.
scyber

Postby Bryce_V » Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:11 pm

Robert99 wrote:

FWIW: My house has 2 ROKUs, although we don't use wireless (all wired ethernet here). And since I have 10 meg (768k up) internet, and the 3 DVD at a time NetFlix plan, both ROKUs can be running NetFlix at the same time if/when we wish that.

Does anyone have a link to the Netflix and/or Roku site that supports this claim of only "one instant steam at at time per DVD". Everything I see indicates up to 4 devices per account regardless of what account type you have i.e. any netflix account could have up to 4 Roku boxes (or Wii's, PS3s, etc.), regardless of how many DVD's they get per month. I guess the trick is how many steams are allowed at any one time.

Very strange that it's so hard to find a clear explanation of how many steams are allowed per Netflix account. I see several threads on the forum, but nothing definitive in a FAQ or in my account description.

Thanks.
Bryce_V

Postby jcmolet » Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:28 pm

As the backdrop, I have the 1-DVD out a time plan ($8.99/mo.) and six devices (3 Rokus, 1 PS3, 1 Samsung TV and 1 Samsung BD player) linked to my Netflix account. I don't know the official answer; however, I was just able to stream two different Netflix movies on two different Roku DVPs concurrently.

Quick Update: I just tried to include a Netflix movie via the PS3 (making it three movies concurrently) and got the following message: There are two movies being watched, which is the limit for your membership. Please stop playing at least one movie and try again later.

It would appear then that with the 1-DVD out a time plan, you can stream two movies concurrently.

As a side note, from personal experience I know that I cannot do the same with Amazon VoD. There have been multiple occasions where I attempted to start a movie on a second device and was not able to; I got an error message stating that I needed to stop playback on the other device. In fact, there have been a couple of occasions where I stopped the movie and returned to the main screen on one device and attempted to resume on a second device only to get the same message. Resetting the first device - or waiting a few minutes - allowed me to resume on the second device.
jcmolet

Postby scyber » Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:49 pm

Bryce_V wrote:
Robert99 wrote:

Does anyone have a link to the Netflix and/or Roku site that supports this claim of only "one instant steam at at time per DVD". Everything I see indicates up to 4 devices per account regardless of what account type you have i.e. any netflix account could have up to 4 Roku boxes (or Wii's, PS3s, etc.), regardless of how many DVD's they get per month. I guess the trick is how many steams are allowed at any one time.

Very strange that it's so hard to find a clear explanation of how many steams are allowed per Netflix account. I see several threads on the forum, but nothing definitive in a FAQ or in my account description.

Thanks.

The Netflix Terms of Use:
http://www.netflix.com/TermsOfUse#instant

Links to this FAQ item which provides the information you are looking for:
http://www.netflix.com/FAQ?p_faqid=2902

Q:
Can I watch movies instantly on more than one PC or Netflix ready device?
A:
Some membership plans allow you to watch simultaneously on more than one personal computer or Netflix ready device at the same time. If you are on the 1 disc out at-a-time plan, you may watch only one device at a time. If you are on the 2 discs out at-a-time plan, you may watch on up to two devices at the same time. Members on the 3 disc plan can watch on up to three devices. The maximum is four devices simultaneously, and that is available for members on the 4 or greater discs out at-a-time plans.

Please keep in mind that your account can have up to six unique authorized devices activated (associated with the account) at any given time, including personal computers and Netflix ready devices. This is due to requirements from content providers. To activate a device or see your currently activated devices, visit Your Account and click on the link to .

For example: If you are on the 1 disc plan, you can have up to six devices associated with your account, but can only watch one of them at a time. If you are on the 2 disc plan, you can have up to six devices activated, but can only watch two of them at the same time.
scyber

Postby Bryce_V » Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:24 pm

scyber wrote:The Netflix Terms of Use:
http://www.netflix.com/TermsOfUse#instant

Links to this FAQ item which provides the information you are looking for:
http://www.netflix.com/FAQ?p_faqid=2902

Thanks scyber. I'm not sure why that was so hard for me to find, but you have to admit, they're not so forthcoming about it. They like to tout the fact you can have four (or six) devices... but the fact that they limit how many can be used simultaneously is interesting. Of course, bandwidth probably would cap you pretty quickly too.

Makes you wonder about the anecdotal stories like jcmolet's... two feeds at a time seems reasonable. I'll probably get a second Roku soon enough, it'd be nice if I could weasel in and get both of mine to work at the same time.
Bryce_V

Postby djwilso » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:47 pm

Well, if you're looking for additional anecdotes, I can confirm that with the one at a time plan, I can also watch two Netflix streams concurrently before getting the error.

There used to be a limit of one stream with the one at a time plan, but apparently they changed it some time ago.
Roku 3 [Wired] 1GN381037973 -> HDMI -> Denon AVR-2809CI -> HDMI -> Sharp LC-80LE844U
ISP: Cox Communications, 50mbps down / 5mbps up
Router: Asus RT-AC68U V3.0.0.4.376_1663
Cable Modem: Motorola SB6121
Time zone: Arizona (UTC-7)
djwilso

Postby bigthrust » Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:49 pm

As stated before, I have 1-DVD plan. I can only stream 2 devices at a time (which is all I need). If you are also streaming more than 2 at the same time at the same location you will need some decent bandwith if you want to watch any of the HD material.
bigthrust

Postby BoloMKXXVIII » Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:01 am

I totally understand this limitation. What is to keep someone from ordering the 1 DVD plan and then "renting out" Roku boxes to friends with high speed interent access? One stream per disc plan seems quite fair to me.
The NSA is the largest criminal organization in the United States.

** Non-valued Community Member **
BoloMKXXVIII

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion