More Competition for Roku

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

More Competition for Roku

Postby gotok » Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:28 pm

Another competitor for Roku:

http://www.cepro.com/article/sonys_129_n100_media_player_does_more_than_roku/

I have 3 Roku boxes and I hope they can keep ahead of the competiton, but I think they need to move faster. (e.g. DLNA would be great so I could use PlayOn)
gotok

Re: More Competition for Roku

Postby moviegeek65 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:30 pm

Looks interesting and it has a USB port on the front, if I keep having problems with Netflix I might buy one.
Sony products will also be more likely of getting Hulu Plus.
moviegeek65

Postby blocked » Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:04 pm

gotok wrote:Another competitor for Roku:

http://www.cepro.com/article/sonys_129_n100_media_player_does_more_than_roku/

I have 3 Roku boxes and I hope they can keep ahead of the competition, but I think they need to move faster. (e.g. DLNA would be great so I could use PlayOn)

This is one of the more useful articles in detailing the direction of the industry. It pretty much tells why googletv and apple products have the upper hand. For example, they have the technologies to facilitate clumsy interfaces of the boxes by using voice recognition. Go Roku!
blocked

Postby Crow550 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:25 pm

moviegeek65 wrote:Looks interesting and it has a USB port on the front, if I keep having problems with Netflix I might buy one.
Sony products will also be more likely of getting Hulu Plus.

Need USB in the front 8) : http://www.monoprice.com/products/produ ... 1&format=2

Crow550
** Valued Community Member **

Postby jcmolet » Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:30 pm

Interesting. I already have three Rokus and two PS3s, so I am definitely not in the market for another gadget. However, if it gets Hulu Plus (which seems likely considering other Sony network media devices are) and improvements are made to their Netflix UI (supposed to be coming), this could be a formidable competitor in the market in which Roku, Popbox, Boxee, et al. play. It seems clear Sony has Roku squarely in their sights.
jcmolet

Postby robertm » Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:44 pm

If you watch the video it appears that it can play local 1080p content. DLNA is huge.

The biggest issue is that Sony's Blu-Ray players will continue to go down in price which will drive this STB lower in price because they can't sell it at a higher price point. In a year they may be $69 and a year after that they may be $49. Good for us, bad for all their competitors.
robertm

Postby BoloMKXXVIII » Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:35 pm

Things You Can’t Do with N100

Currently, you cannot use the device to:

* Perform a universal search of content across online services and local content
* Drill down into Netflix (you can only play what’s in your queue)
The NSA is the largest criminal organization in the United States.

** Non-valued Community Member **
BoloMKXXVIII

Postby cwniles » Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:50 pm

I located a pdf of the users manual for this product as it does look pretty sweet if it does everything it claims to do including meeting the listed $129 retail price.

Honestly though, I would have a hard living with myself if I abandoned a company I actually want to support for a multi-national conglomerate like Sony....

I located the manual using Google..it was linked to in a forum. It's on my work PC and I am at home but if anyone wants to look it over and can't find it, I suppose I could e-mail it or whatever tomorrow....
Roku 2 XS>HDMI>Denon AVR-361>HDMI>Samsung 2333HD
Scientific Atlanta Cable Modem DPC2100R2 >Dynex DX-E402 Router (no wifi)
USB>Seagate Barracuda 7200 SATA 1TB in dock.
Roku S/N 13A16H000141
cwniles

Postby nighthawk_md » Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:08 pm

Manual here. If it actually does what it claims, it is the Roku killer, for sure. I'm in the market for another Netflix+ box. I'd wait a few months for this before getting another Roku, atm.
nighthawk_md

Postby moviegeek65 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:23 pm

Thanks for posting the manual, it does look sweet. Nice remote and the USB port supports just about everything.
I know what I'm buying myself for Christmas. 8)
moviegeek65

Postby robertm » Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:34 pm

BoloMKXXVIII wrote:Things You Can’t Do with N100

* Perform a universal search of content across online services and local content

I wouldn't miss the search feature if they yanked it tomorrow. Besides they will probably add it by the end of the year.
robertm

Postby jcmolet » Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:42 pm

robertm wrote:
BoloMKXXVIII wrote:Things You Can’t Do with N100

I wouldn't miss the search feature if they yanked it tomorrow. Besides they will probably add it by the end of the year.

Yep. Reed Hastings has already indicated the Netflix UI on the PS3 will get a major upgrade (and not require a disc) come October. It is probably likely the new UI - and any new features - will be used throughout their lineup.
jcmolet

Postby Moviefreak » Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:04 pm

Here is the competition for the Roku and everything else....http://www.hometheater.co.il/p1.article ... cial-media

This looks promising, unlike the recent and ongoing fiasco from Syabas the Popbox. The author kind of gushes a bit about the device. Only snag I see is pissing off a bunch of Harmony One owners.
Moviefreak

Postby blocked » Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:25 pm

Moviefreak wrote:Here is the competition for the Roku and everything else....http://www.hometheater.co.il/p1.article ... cial-media

This looks promising, unlike the recent and ongoing fiasco from Syabas the Popbox. The author kind of gushes a bit about the device. Only snag I see is pissing off a bunch of Harmony One owners.

You could also mention another product that is already released and is promising a lot more than Sony - Google TV, and Netflix, digital recording, etc.
http://www.myvulkano.com/products_volcanopro.html
They were the primary competition of slingbox.
blocked

Postby Village Idiot » Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:44 pm

Did you miss the PARENTAL CONTROL ( see page 18 and 21 ) in the manual ??
Sheesh leave it to me to notice it for you.
Village Idiot

Next

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion