Will Roku HD player support WEP key index <> 1

Discussions about Roku products, channels, and Roku-related topics.

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Will Roku HD player support WEP key index <> 1

Postby rsonder » Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:21 pm

I just purchased a Roku HD player and it won't connect to my 64-bit WEP encrypted router Netgear WPN824. I assume it is because I use WEP key index #4. Apple equipment usually also cannot connect for that reason, as established by trial and error.

So my question is: will the Roku HD player support a WEP key index other than 1? I could not find any input for it, either on the automatic connection or on the manual setup. If there is a way, or if a firmware mod needs to be made, please point me to where I can learn how.

Thank you!

Robert S.
rsonder

Re: Will Roku HD player support WEP key index <> 1

Postby nighthawk_md » Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:35 am

That's interesting. Is there some reason you are using the fourth key? 64-bit WEP is not terribly secure as compared to WPA, as I understand things.
nighthawk_md

Re: Will Roku HD player support WEP key index <> 1

Postby rsonder » Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:24 am

Security is the least of my concerns, given where I live. What is of concern is the many computers and devices I have to reprogram if I change the WEP key index in the router. Some of these are from people who visit occasionally, so each visit there will be some new drama to deal with.

If someone who knows from Roku tells me "WEB Key index <> 1 is NOT supported" then I will bite the bullet. As it is, their support was horrible, but I was hoping one of their more knowledgeable techs would respond here.

A simple "no" or "yes, here is how you do it" would suffice.

Robert
rsonder

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion