Netflix 4:3 aspect ratio some movies??

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

Netflix 4:3 aspect ratio some movies??

Postby Bob.H » Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:06 pm

I did a search on this problem. alas was unsuccessful. Please excuse as I am new to this streaming video although many years with Netflix. Now I have Roku and I have watched several movies streaming in HD on my TV with no problems and beautiful wide screen (16:9) picture. However some of the movies I have on my queue insist on playing in a 4:3 aspect ratio. Even on my computer they play 4:3. Examples are "Swimming Pool" and "Croupier". Does anybody know why this is.
Bob.H

Re: Netflix 4:3 aspect ratio some movies??

Postby RoadRanger » Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:12 pm

Bob.H wrote:I did a search on this problem. alas was unsuccessful. Please excuse as I am new to this streaming video although many years with Netflix. Now I have Roku and I have watched several movies streaming in HD on my TV with no problems and beautiful wide screen (16:9) picture. However some of the movies I have on my queue insist on playing in a 4:3 aspect ratio. Even on my computer they play 4:3. Examples are "Swimming Pool" and "Croupier". Does anybody know why this is.
Many title are available on DVD in both 4:3 and widescreen format. Like you I MUCH prefer widescreen, even on my SDTV. Unfortunately Netflix has chosen to encode "cropped" versions of some of the titles they stream :( .
Roku Digital Video Player links:
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/RokuDigitalVideoPlayer/links
Private Channel Database:
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/RokuDigitalVideoPlayer/database
RoadRanger

Postby kc8pql » Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:14 pm

I don't know about those two specifically,but some older content that was 4:3 originally is also 4:3 on Roku. It depends on the source material supplied to Netflix by the content owner.
kc8pql
** Valued Community Member **

Postby crcochran » Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:19 pm

Just tried them both.

Croupier is a Starz encode. Starz screws up about 10% of their encodes aspect ratios and tend to not be of the best picture quality. I avoid Starz except for old TV shows and impossible to get otherwise movies.

Swimming Pool is a different kettle of fish as it is even in HD and should be the proper ratio (1:85 according to imdb). You can report bad encodes through netflix and you should do so. They do re encode some of them eventually.

To sum up, nothing on your end. Not Roku either. All Netflix.
crcochran

Postby Bob.H » Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:38 pm

Thanks to all for your responses. It is strange that they would stream 4:3 as it is hard to watch so I guess I will have to put those movies on my DVD queue.
Bob.H

Postby mkiker2089 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:35 pm

crcochran wrote:Just tried them both.

Croupier is a Starz encode. Starz screws up about 10% of their encodes aspect ratios and tend to not be of the best picture quality. I avoid Starz except for old TV shows and impossible to get otherwise movies.

Swimming Pool is a different kettle of fish as it is even in HD and should be the proper ratio (1:85 according to imdb). You can report bad encodes through netflix and you should do so. They do re encode some of them eventually.

To sum up, nothing on your end. Not Roku either. All Netflix.

It's not a bad encode. It's a 4:3 version of the movie. Reporting it won't help and would presumably take their time away from fixing actual bad encode. Instead always respond to their email surveys and rate the picture quality as acceptable.

HD doesn't in any way guarantee an aspect ratio by the way.

I'm not sure how much this applies to recent encodes but Netflix once said that most of their source materials were made for broadcast. The broadcast standard was 4:3 until very recently, and is still used on many SD channels.
-Marshall-

Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv.
I know nothing, I see nothing, I wasn't there,
and if I was there, I was asleep.
mkiker2089

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion