Roku to Verizon Fios

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

Roku to Verizon Fios

Postby josie » Sat Sep 11, 2010 12:36 pm

Am looking to get a Roku to instant watch but am very frustrated after talking to a couple of service reps. I have Verizon Fios with an Actiontec MI424WR router. I've seen different numbers as to how close the set needs to be to the router and when I talked to one rep, he said that I needed to get the XR and also get a new N router. I called back with more questions and the next rep first said the XR but when I asked questions she said then get the basic and then she said get any one and lots of bs with no definitive answer. Is there a distance range of how close the set needs to be to the router for wireless. Does the XR not work with the Actiontec MI424WR router? thanks!
josie

Re: Roku to Verizon Fios

Postby renojim » Sat Sep 11, 2010 2:52 pm

You should be able to use any of the Roku DVPs. The idea that you have to have the XR is ridiculous, unless you're planning on putting the DVP a long way from the router (a long way is kind of relative). How far you can put your router from your DVP is hard to say, but if you're in an average size house you should certainly be able to put the router on one floor and the DVP on the same floor or one floor away. There's too many factors to be able to give an absolute answer about whether or not a certain configuration will work; you'll just have to try.

I can't be sure that my mother's FIOS router was the same as yours, but I was able to use my DVP at the opposite end of her house from the router, one floor up.

-JT
renojim
** Valued Community Member **

Postby josie » Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:50 pm

okay, thanks. Getting the XR is one thing but then having to get a new router too is just getting too complicated for me, doesn't sound like up and watching in 6 mins, especially when I don't even have HD.
josie

Postby renojim » Sat Sep 11, 2010 4:20 pm

You should be up and running in 6 mins. The XR will work with wireless N or b/g, so it should work with your router, but if you don't have HD then there probably isn't any absolute need for the XR.

-JT
renojim
** Valued Community Member **

Postby gadrago » Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:14 am

I have two Roku-HD boxes connected wirelessly to my Verizon FiOS-supplied Actiontek MI424WR router. Both are about 20 feet away from the router in a straight line, one on the same floor and the other two floors down in a trilevel house. Both have worked flawlessly for almost a year with none of the problems reported in these forums, and I didn't have to make any changes to the router setup. As stated before though, wireless reception is based upon many factors in your house (distance from the router being one of them). You don't need the XR model unless you want the USB capability at a later date, and unless you change your router, the XR's wireless-N capability won't add anything useful for you.
gadrago

Postby KennyJ » Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:24 am

I have a Westell with Verizon Fios and my router is about 50 feet away, behind two walls and works fine with wireless g.
KennyJ

Postby josie » Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:00 am

Great, I'm in a trilevel home and was told by the rep to measure through the stairwells and not through walls. This sounds promising, will give it a try. Any differences between ordering direct from Roku vs Amazon? thanks, Jo
josie

Postby blocked » Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:20 am

josie wrote:Great, I'm in a trilevel home and was told by the rep to measure through the stairwells and not through walls. This sounds promising, will give it a try. Any differences between ordering direct from Roku vs Amazon? thanks, Jo

Watch for interferences from other wireless networks - you might have to adjust the channel on your router. Otherwise, it should work with no problem in a tri-level home (assuming it is not a 1000 000 square feet one).
blocked

Postby josie » Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:52 pm

okay, thanks for the tip. Will have to wait though, went to order and it's showing out of stock ... :(
josie

Postby wonderbird » Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:51 am

The Roku's XR is capable of using 802.11n. (as well as b/g) The router that comes with FiOS does NOT support 80211.n. (it supports only b/g) FYI: n is theoretically capable of much faster communication than b/g.
However: most b/g equipment is fully capable of supporting the bandwidth requirements of 720p (and lower) quality Roku bitstreams...
NOBODY can tell you for sure if wireless will work for you where you plan on setting up your equipment. Most of us that are serious about our communication still run wires for everything other than laptops... (It is nice to have the option of wireless because then you can run the wires when you feel like it instead of before you hook up the equipment. Also people who rent might be prevented from punching holes in the walls...)

Here is some info on getting a good WiFi signal. Your best bet for a guesstimate of if Roku will work wireless is to put a laptop right next to tv and see if you can connect to access point using it. (The limitations of Roku are likely to be similar)
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=wifi+signal+strength
wonderbird

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion