XDS component cable

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

XDS component cable

Postby eyefull » Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:46 am

Does anyone have an idea where I can buy the XDS component cable? It is listed as sold separately, but is not listed under the accessories section. I want to buy a new XDS but I need to connect it via component till I update the TV later this year.
eyefull

Re: XDS component cable

Postby dnelms » Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:50 am

Monoprice has them.
dnelms

Postby eyefull » Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:53 am

Monoprice has the special cable? I cannot find a cable with a single undetermined connection that then splits into component on their site.

I think you have it confused, there are no component connections on the XDS, just this special jack.
eyefull

Postby gonzotek » Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:58 am

I can't find them at Monoprice. Roku's description: "The Roku XDS has a component port, but it requires a custom cable with a 3.5mm jack on one end and component cable on the other (available at roku.com)". I can't find any description of the pinouts for the 3.5mm plug.

/edit Eyefull beat me to it :)
Remoku.tv - A free web app for Roku Remote Control!
Want to control your Roku from nearly any phone, computer or tablet? Get started at http://help.remoku.tv
by Apps4TV - Applications for television and beyond: http://www.apps4tv.com
gonzotek
** Valued Community Member **

Postby kumasuki » Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:19 pm

Unfortunately (and surprisingly) Monoprice does NOT carry an appropriate component cable for the XDS - however, I found this source

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... K:MEWNX:IT

I have purchased this cable and can report that it works perfectly with my XDS. A couple of points: 1) be sure to get the 3.5mm size connector (there's also a smaller variant that would then require an adapter). 2) you WILL have to swap 2 of the colored connections (I didn't write down which two, but if I get around to disassembling my AV rack, uhgg, I can post back) - it'll be obvious which 2 get swapped because you won't get any picture otherwise!

I also got really fast delivery on my order - but this seller is only about 100 miles from where I live. :) (and you can't go wrong for $6 bucks!)
--------------------------------------
Roku XDS; DSM-520; HDX1000 w/1TB drive; Neuros; Hauppauge 1212 HD-PVR; HDHomeRun; Vudu; VuNow HD; Boxee Box
kumasuki

Postby kc8pql » Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:24 pm

eyefull wrote:Does anyone have an idea where I can buy the XDS component cable? It is listed as sold separately, but is not listed under the accessories section.

Look again. It's part of the XD/S premium cable package that also includes optical and HDMI. Not priced or available yet though.
kc8pql

Postby eyefull » Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:38 pm

Thanks for the help. I noticed it was part of that pack, but it not being priced/available is kind of a pain. I think I might go ahead and order the cable kumasuki suggested. Worth a shot for $6.
eyefull

Postby pjoshua5000 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:27 pm

eyefull wrote:Does anyone have an idea where I can buy the XDS component cable? It is listed as sold separately, but is not listed under the accessories section. I want to buy a new XDS but I need to connect it via component till I update the TV later this year.

I thought of something. Maybe, the cables that sometimes come with your camera that hooks up to your TV might work. The ones that are yellow, white, and red and have the 3.5 millimeter jack on the other end. I think that they have the same connection. Isn't just a 3.5 millimeter jack? All you have to do is find out what colors on cables are for what color.
pjoshua5000

Postby Crow550 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:02 am

Monoprice did have cables like these for one of the Ipod gens?

However they had to pull most of the I-Pod accessories because Apple decided to get sue happy & enforce there expensive 3rd party licensing which they get a cut of every 3rd party items sold.

So who knows when & if Monoprice will get I-Pod cables & extra batteries back in stock....

Back on topic they did have 3.5mm to Component cables.

So I don't know if they will carry them again?
Crow550

Postby kumasuki » Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:04 am

pjoshua5000 wrote:I thought of something. Maybe, the cables that sometimes come with your camera that hooks up to your TV might work. The ones that are yellow, white, and red and have the 3.5 millimeter jack on the other end. I think that they have the same connection. Isn't just a 3.5 millimeter jack? All you have to do is find out what colors on cables are for what color.

I tried a R/W/Y cable with a 3.5mm jack and it did NOT work - an image was displayed but the colors were all wrong, washed-out, and there was constant jittering (I tried all possible combinations too). I suspect it has something to do with the wire gauge used in composite versus component cables - the component ones being a heavier gauge.
Roku XDS; DSM-520; HDX1000 w/1TB drive; Neuros; Hauppauge 1212 HD-PVR; HDHomeRun; Vudu; VuNow HD; Boxee Box
kumasuki

Postby j883376 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:50 am

kumasuki wrote:
pjoshua5000 wrote:I thought of something. Maybe, the cables that sometimes come with your camera that hooks up to your TV might work. The ones that are yellow, white, and red and have the 3.5 millimeter jack on the other end. I think that they have the same connection. Isn't just a 3.5 millimeter jack? All you have to do is find out what colors on cables are for what color.

I tried a R/W/Y cable with a 3.5mm jack and it did NOT work - an image was displayed but the colors were all wrong, washed-out, and there was constant jittering (I tried all possible combinations too). I suspect it has something to do with the wire gauge used in composite versus component cables - the component ones being a heavier gauge.

Or the cable you used is wired differently to the 3.5mm plug than the composite cable that Roku provides.
j883376

Postby eyefull » Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:00 am

Update for those interested, reverse the green and red. Thanks kumasuki!

kumasuki wrote:Unfortunately (and surprisingly) Monoprice does NOT carry an appropriate component cable for the XDS - however, I found this source

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... K:MEWNX:IT

I have purchased this cable and can report that it works perfectly with my XDS. A couple of points: 1) be sure to get the 3.5mm size connector (there's also a smaller variant that would then require an adapter). 2) you WILL have to swap 2 of the colored connections (I didn't write down which two, but if I get around to disassembling my AV rack, uhgg, I can post back) - it'll be obvious which 2 get swapped because you won't get any picture otherwise!

I also got really fast delivery on my order - but this seller is only about 100 miles from where I live. :) (and you can't go wrong for $6 bucks!)
eyefull

Postby nrhjohn » Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:02 pm

At best you can say your milage may vary, I purchased the cable linked above and it does not work. No matter which combination of switching I got at best either an all red, green or blue tinted screen. The cable did not fit all the way snuggly and seemed when I moved it around to make better contact some of the time, and not at all other times. Could be a bad cable, but for $6 I though why not, well it could have been a fast food lunch out I suppose.

I have to admit my plans for returning my HD since the XD/S arrived may never work out simply because I cannot get a cable, and I hate composite versus 720p. I wish Roku would at least give us an estimate of when it would be available, or an alternate source the we could reliably know works.
nrhjohn

Postby kumasuki » Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:48 pm

nrhjohn wrote:.... The cable did not fit all the way snuggly and seemed when I moved it around to make better contact some of the time, and not at all other times.

This really sounds like you got the wrong version of this cable - there are 2 different ones (both available from the seller I originally referenced). One variety has a 3.5mm plug - THIS is the one that fits the Roku XDS. The other variety has a 2.5mm plug - this one would be too small and not "fit all the way snuggly". If you do indeed have the 2.5mm version, you might exchange it - however, for the cost of re-shipping, you might just get a 2.5mm-to-3.5mm adapter (these aren't hard to find).
kumasuki

Postby MoonChaser » Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:53 am

I thought the benefit of component was that it separated out the various parts of the image to allow for a higher throughput of data to the TV, plus the wires were thick enough to allow for better transmission as well. Wouldn't having all that data going through a 3.5mm jack create a horrible bottleneck and eliminate the benefits? Doesn't seem very efficient to me. It could be interesting to do a comparison of the older boxes with dedicated component outputs vs this special cable... both a visual test by playing the same picture side-by-side simultaneously, and a technical test using an oscilliscope or other testing equipment.
MoonChaser

Next

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion