PlayOn Private Channel (Beta)

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

PlayOn Private Channel (Beta)

Postby scyber » Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:20 am

https://owner.roku.com/Account/ChannelCode/?code=PLAYON

This channel will auto-discover a PlayOn server on your local network and display its channels.

What is PlayOn?
From Here: http://www.playon.tv/playon
PlayOn is a software program that runs on your Windows PC, giving you access to a wide range of Internet content on your TV -- Hulu, Netflix, YouTube, Amazon VOD, and many others.

PlayOn will transcode online content into a format that Roku will play. This channel can browse and play the transcoded streams from PlayOn.

Which version of PlayOn should I use?

This channel is confirmed to be working on versions 3.0.19-3.0.23. I will try and update the channel ASAP if any PlayOn updates break the current channel. It is best if you wait on confirmation that the channel works with any version beyond was it listed here.

TODO List (not necessarily in any particular order):
  1. Generic images for common categories.
  2. Getting Music working
  3. Getting Photos working

UPDATES:
10/15/2010:
An update has been published to address the My Media error introduced in PlayOn 3.0.23. It should work in .23 and .24 now.

10/14/2010
An new version of PlayOn was published today (3.0.23) that broke this channel. I have published an updated version of the channel that this fixes this issue and a few others:
  1. Compatibility with PlayOn 3.0.23
  2. Automatic Filtering of PlayOn Channels that duplicate Roku channels ((Netflix, Pandora, MLB, Amazon)
  3. Fix for Top level error bug: If there is an error fetching the top level categories (such as your computer chaning IPs), the error message will appear and the Settings option will appear. This will allow you to search for the new IP address.

10/7/2010:
Others users have reported that the channel correctly auto-updated. So my concerns about manually uninstalling and re-installing were unfounded.

10/06/2010:
NOTE that you should now use the vanity url above to install the channel. I"m not 100% sure, but you may need to remove the existing channel from your box manually and install from the new url above. Please let me know if your channel is automatically updated. I know this is a pain, and I apologize, but I was unaware with how the other codes can change with Roku's publishing system. The vanity code will remain constant.

I have published the new version with the following features:
  1. Settings/Config screen
    -Allow iphone/ipad (low/high bitrate) stream selection: This appears to work and "should" produce less load on some machines.
    -Allow deletion of cached PlayOn IP address: This will automatically initiate the server search again. Useful if your PlayOn Computer switches IPs
  2. Catch empty xml error (aka ESPN3 Live Bug)
  3. "Loading..." message while loading XML
  4. Default folder icons
  5. Error/existence checking for field display (aka CBS NCIS error)
  6. General Cleanup of some of the code: It should be a bit more robust

UPDATES:
10/02 12:52pm: Added Todo list
9/30 2:40pm: The bug (selecting top level categories bounces you back to the roku home menu) should now be fixed. Please go to the channel store to update the channel.
9/30 2:30pm: THERE IS A BUG IN THE CURRENT VERSION...HOLD ON
9/30/2010:

PlayOn recently updated its iOS hls streams to use Roku compatiable audio, that means that PlayOn streams now work on the roku.

Before I give out out the code, a few notes:

1) The channel is very very very very very rough around the edges. It is based on one of my first experiements into brightscript that I cleaned up quickly now that Playon changed their hls streams. Please consider this channel alpha quality.
2) Server discovery is slow, but once it discovers teh server, the IP address is saved and you shouldn't have to wait again.
3) This is based on the latest PlayOn Software (3.0.19 released 9/28/2010). Please ensure that this version is insalled. Note that Playon has changed the interface this channel is using with nearly every release for the last few months. That means that if you upgrade past this version, there is a good chance something will no longer work.
4) This channel is based on PlayOn's HTTP iOS interface. They just recently got approved for an app in the app store, so I have no idea if they will maintain this interface.

What Works:
1) Server Discovery: As mentioned above, it is slow, but it works. Please note that only 1 Playon server is supported. If you are running multiple on your network, it will only link up to one
2) Hulu: Tested a couple of shows
3) Tv.com: watched the pilot of "$!# my dad says" last night
4) My videos: watched a few short clips of some videos I have on my computer. Both mkv's, one in HD. Both worked.
5) ESPN3: I watched part of a soccer game last night < 3 minutes. Worked fine

What doesn't work:
1) Missing Icons: Between the top level and the bottom episode level, there aren't any icons being displayed. I plan on creating some generic icons
2) CNN: this content seemed to cut off after a few minutes. Not sure what is going on.
3) Occasionally a video would rebuffer within the first 30 or so seconds of starting. After the first rebuffer it seemed to work fine.

That's all I've gotten to test so far. If you have any problems, please post in the thread and I will try to address them. Note that I have a busy work day today and I not likely be able to address any issues till tonight or tomorrow at the earliest.

And now that you've been sufficiently warned/informed:
https://owner.roku.com/Account/ChannelCode/?code=PLAYON
Last edited by scyber on Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:50 pm, edited 10 times in total.
scyber

Re: PlayOn Alpha Private Channel

Postby DeftOne » Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:26 am

Wow. This is exciting. Can't wait to try it out. Thanks! :)
Roku2 XS (13A166000325) HDMI to LG 42" LCD 1080p (42LH30)
Roku LT (16A181002342)
Roku XDS (K0A073000137)
Roku HD (20F946002749)
DLINK DIR-615 (all Rokus wireless)
12 Mbps
DeftOne

Postby scyber » Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:31 am

scyber wrote: Note that I have a busy work day today and I not likely be able to address any issues till tonight or tomorrow at the earliest.

Such a busy day that I forgot its only Thursday. Its likely I won't be able to address any issues till tomorrow night or Saturday.
scyber

Postby gonzotek » Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:52 am

Very awesome, can't wait to try it out later today!
Remoku.tv - A free web app for Roku Remote Control!
Want to control your Roku from nearly any phone, computer or tablet? Get started at http://help.remoku.tv
by Apps4TV - Applications for television and beyond: http://www.apps4tv.com
gonzotek
** Valued Community Member **

Postby wpmetts » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:06 am

I would assume you still have to purchase the license to run PlayOn...???
wpmetts

Postby gotok » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:28 am

I'm really excited to see this channel on Roku and hope you will continue your efforts. I added the channel and updated my PlayOn to the version you listed. The channel added OK, and the PlayOn icon brought up all of the icons (e.g. Hulu, ESPN3, etc) but when I clicked on any of these icons, I just got bumped back to the PlayOn icon at the top of the menu structure. This same PlayOn server works fine with my Samsung blu-ray player.
gotok

Postby candita » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:49 am

the channel wpnt load up at all for me..it added it just fine but when I click on the playon icon it jumps me right back to the channel list :-(
candita

Postby MacAl » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:55 am

candita wrote:the channel wpnt load up at all for me..it added it just fine but when I click on the playon icon it jumps me right back to the channel list :-(

same
MacAl

Postby chris0071 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:59 am

Ditto.
chris0071

Postby candita » Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:04 am

ok..like a dummy I didn't know u had to go to the playon site & download the server..I did that & set it up..now it's loaded up hulu & all that but when I click on any of them(hulu,netflix etc.) it takes me back to the main screen...looks like I should have waited to do my 14 day free trial till the bugs was worked out :-(
candita

Postby kumasuki » Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:08 am

Maybe Roku will still let you enter this in the contest!
--------------------------------------
Roku XDS; DSM-520; HDX1000 w/1TB drive; Neuros; Hauppauge 1212 HD-PVR; HDHomeRun; Vudu; VuNow HD; Boxee Box
kumasuki

Postby kc8pql » Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:16 am

"candita"..looks like I should have waited to do my 14 day free trial till the bugs was worked out :-(

If you don't already have PlayOn, I'd wait till this goes to Beta at least.
kc8pql
** Valued Community Member **

Postby scyber » Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:52 am

Well that sucks, my guess is that it has something to do with the playOn license. I actually have on of the grandfathered Basic licenses since I have had playon for years.

Anyone that is having problems, can you state what license you have? Premium or Trial?

Anyone have success?
scyber

Postby candita » Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:56 am

well..im on the 14 day trial..like a dummy I jumped the gun..lol..i was excited for this..can anyone else that pays for playon tell us if this works or not for them?
candita

Postby CalvinMcGowan » Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:58 am

scyber wrote:PlayOn recently updated its iOS hls streams to use Roku compatiable audio, that means that PlayOn streams now work on the roku.

I installed and tested your PlayOn channel and just like others have reported, when I click on any of the icons the Roku DVP returns to its Home screen. I even rebooted my Roku DVP to see if that would solve the problem. It didn't. Anyway, icons for all of the channels and plugins I have installed and enabled in PlayOn (v3.0.19.1216) are being shown by your channel, so I know your channel is at least communicating with PlayOn's server. So, back to the proverbial drawing board, eh? And good luck with keeping up with MediaMall's revisions of PlayOn. As you probably know, PlayOn is revised frequently, and lately, once or twice a week.
CalvinMcGowan

Next

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion