Roku in Canada

Moderators: RokuShawnS, RokuDouglas, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Roku in Canada

Postby calgarymac » Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:49 am

I purchased a Roku N1100 while I was in Boston last summer in anticipation of Netflix launching in Canada. Netflix did indeed launch here on September 22 but to my disappointment, my Roku won't work with the Canadian version. Calls and emails to Technical Support have been unhelpful.

What's the chance of a software upgrade that will enable this coming before year end? If unlikely, I'll grit my teeth, sell the Roku on Netflix and buy a new Apple TV (which will support the Canadian version of Netflix).
Last edited by calgarymac on Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
calgarymac

Re: Roku in Canada

Postby moviegeek65 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:02 am

Yet another thread about Roku's working outside of the US.*
Licensed content such as Netflix will not work on the Roku DVP yet, you have to setup a proxy server somehow. Officially Netflix will only work on a Wii, PS3 or your PC in Canada. More devices will be added later.

http://blog.netflix.com/2010/09/netflix ... anada.html

http://support.roku.com/entries/221163- ... th-netflix

*I think there should be a sticky in this forum.
moviegeek65

Postby calgarymac » Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:48 am

@moviegeek

I understand all that. I'm looking for a commitment from Roku that they DO plan to support the Canadian service. A previous postings by them in this forum (viewtopic.php?t=16718) indicated that Roku would "of course" support service in Canada if launched. It was on the strength of this comment that I purchased my Roku.
Last edited by calgarymac on Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
calgarymac

Postby bc24 » Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:05 am

It's really up to Netflix to get the streams in Canada working for Roku and other devices that they choose. Of course Roku wants to get it working in Canada so they have a whole new country full of potential customers. Have you gone to Netflix to find out when they will support the Roku and Blu-Ray players and all the other things? It's in their hands really.
bc24

Postby calgarymac » Sat Oct 02, 2010 1:43 pm

Actually, it is in Roku's hands. Sony's PS3 works nicely with the Canadian Netflix, as does the Nintendo WII. So too does the newly released Apple TV. For the Roku to work, Roku needs to update its firmware. Netflix has confirmed this, as has Roku. Trouble is, Roku is not making any commitment to do so.
calgarymac

Postby bc24 » Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:22 am

Where did Netflix state that? All I heard them say was that support for more devices was coming soon.
bc24

Postby calgarymac » Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:54 am

@bc24

Netflix said this to me when I called them. Roku also confirmed that they (Roku) needed to update the firmware of their boxes to support the service. (Currently, the box only connects to the US server, which has a significantly different "architecture" than the Canadian one. For example, in addition to not providing the option to order DVDs, the Canadian service does not provide the option for creating a queue for streaming at a later date).
calgarymac

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion