Netflix causing Reset?

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Netflix causing Reset?

Postby ECT_Phantom » Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:37 am

I've started to notice that certain shows or movies on Netflix seem to cause my Roku to reboot and would like to know if anyone else is having this problem.

It first happened about a month ago and I finally had to have my Roku XR replaced after only owning it for 6 months. At that time I could not watch any channels for more than 2-5 mins without the ROKU doing a reset. The Roku suppport had me do a complete reset and this didn't help so it was returned and replaced. It did have the 2 amp power supply and not the 1.5 amp power supply that was giving some users problems.

My replacement Roku XR does the same thing but only once in a while. The new Roku has a 2.5 amp power supply.

I'm thinking maybe Netflix caused my first Roku to have problems. What I would like to do is list one of the shows that causes me the problem and see if someone else could watch it with a Roku XR that has the same software and let me know if it crashes the ROKU at the same spot. If someone else notices this on another Netflix show or movie please let me know and I'll try to play it on mine to see if I can replicate the problem over here.

My Roku is set to "Browse & Search in Netflix enabled".

Player Info:
Software version 2.7 - build 857
Hardware version Model N1101

Ok here's one of the shows that caused it to reboot today after adding a show to my queue from the search feature of the Netflix channel. I didn't watch the show from the search function. I hit the up key and went to the show in my queue.

American Loggers: Season 1, episode 1 played less than 5 mins then the Roku locked up and reset itself.
ECT_Phantom

Re: Netflix causing Reset?

Postby TheEndless » Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:10 am

Well, I just tested this out on my XR, and it also rebooted about 5 minutes in. So, the good news is, it looks like it's the stream, and not specific to your Roku.
I also tested it on my Apple TV, and it didn't have any problems (at least not up to that same point in the show), though it may be using a different stream than the Roku.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), MainSqueeze (MAINSQUEEZE), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), Twitch.tv (TWITCHTV), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
TheEndless
** Valued Community Member **

Postby renojim » Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:17 am

That's amazing. At least it looks like it's repeatable so maybe Roku/Netflix will be able to figure out what the problem is. I can watch it, but I'm probably watching a different stream and I have different hardware. One thing that might be interesting is to force your box to a lower bit rate (Home 5 times, Rew 3 times, FF 2 times) and see if it still happens.

-JT
renojim

Postby ECT_Phantom » Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:27 am

Well first of all I would like to thank you for the replies.

A quick note I was able to watch the show after the reboot with no problems. The thing that I'm wondering about the most is did this cause my first box to become useless. It was happening more and more before it got to the point of only being able to run for 2-5 min and rebooting. Could a bad stream cause a box to die?

Hopefully ROKU will follow this thread and if it gets more replies with the same findings ask Netflix to investigate the problem.

I really like the new Netflix and of course my ROKU. So I would hate to think it could be killed by a channel with bad code or stream.
ECT_Phantom

Postby ECT_Phantom » Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:29 am

TheEndless wrote:Well, I just tested this out on my XR, and it also rebooted about 5 minutes in. So, the good news is, it looks like it's the stream, and not specific to your Roku.
I also tested it on my Apple TV, and it didn't have any problems (at least not up to that same point in the show), though it may be using a different stream than the Roku.

I was just wondering did you watch it from the search function of Netflix or did you save it to your queue and then try to watch it ?

And Thanks for the help.
ECT_Phantom

Postby TheEndless » Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:32 am

I was just about to report the same. After the reboot, it played through that same part fine...
This is the first time I've ever experienced a random reboot with Netflix on any of my three Rokus, so I'd be surprised if the problems you had with your first box were related.

ECT_Phantom wrote:I was just wondering did you watch it from the search function of Netflix or did you save it to your queue and then try to watch it ?

Based on your first post, I searched for it, added it to my instant queue, then played it from the queue.
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), MainSqueeze (MAINSQUEEZE), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), Twitch.tv (TWITCHTV), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
TheEndless

Postby ECT_Phantom » Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:32 am

TheEndless wrote:I was just about to report the same. After the reboot, it played through that same part fine...
This is the first time I've ever experienced a random reboot with Netflix on any of my three Rokus, so I'd be surprised if the problems you had with your first box were related.

ECT_Phantom wrote:I was just wondering did you watch it from the search function of Netflix or did you save it to your queue and then try to watch it ?

Based on your first post, I searched for it, added it to my instant queue, then played it from the queue.

Hopefully some other users will try this also. I guess the next step is to see if someone will try the two other ways the show could be added.

1 Could someone try to see if it will play from the Netflix Search on the the Roku?

2. Could someone add it to their queue from there home computer and then try to watch it.

Then maybe for more trouble shooting other than the Roku XR could be tried like the old SD players etc. If they all do it. It would seem to be a Netflix problem don't you think ? It does seem to only happen on the first search and add.
ECT_Phantom

Postby RokuMarkn » Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:13 pm

It's not likely that the problem depends on how the show was added to your queue. It's possible that only one of the multiple encodings of the show has a problem. Did you notice how many quality dots you got when it played and when it didn't? You could also try forcing the bitrate to see if it's isolated to one of the encodings.

--Mark
RokuMarkn
Roku Engineering

Postby TheEndless » Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:09 pm

RokuMarkn wrote:It's not likely that the problem depends on how the show was added to your queue. It's possible that only one of the multiple encodings of the show has a problem. Did you notice how many quality dots you got when it played and when it didn't? You could also try forcing the bitrate to see if it's isolated to one of the encodings.

--Mark

Both the failed play and the successful play had 4 dots and the HD symbol for me.
TheEndless

Postby ECT_Phantom » Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:05 pm

TheEndless wrote:
RokuMarkn wrote:It's not likely that the problem depends on how the show was added to your queue. It's possible that only one of the multiple encodings of the show has a problem. Did you notice how many quality dots you got when it played and when it didn't? You could also try forcing the bitrate to see if it's isolated to one of the encodings.

--Mark

Both the failed play and the successful play had 4 dots and the HD symbol for me.

Same over here 4 dots and HD. The problem is once it reboots it will play so it's hard to tell. This is why I was hoping some others could try and see if it would fail.

Just like sometimes if you pause a movie and let it go to screen saver it will lock up the ROKU and require a reboot.

I planned on posting this as a bug later. I was trying to trouble shoot it before approaching ROKU about the problems. I'm sure ROKU must have some Beta Testers and maybe they could do some trouble shooting also. I realize that ROKU provides the platform and Netflix is just a channel but I'm concerned that something is causing damage to the player.
ECT_Phantom

Postby renojim » Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:43 pm

As RokuMarkn said, have you guys tried forcing a 3 dot stream or non-HD stream? I'd try the HD stream, but I don't have the connection to support it. I guess it's a little tough to diagnose since sometimes it works.

-JT
renojim

Postby ECT_Phantom » Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:11 am

renojim wrote:As RokuMarkn said, have you guys tried forcing a 3 dot stream or non-HD stream? I'd try the HD stream, but I don't have the connection to support it. I guess it's a little tough to diagnose since sometimes it works.

-JT

Problem is once it happens it will play after the reboot. So it would be hard to narrow it down to a certain stream. Yeah it a little frustrating but we're trying. Could you try it with your stream and see if it freezes and reboots?

Today's reboot is on a four dot show Crime 360 season 2 Episode 15 crashes in the first 5 min or so. Try it on any stream to test. Why does a netflix program cause a Roku reboot and no other channel seems to freeze up and crash?

Thanks for any input and help.
ECT_Phantom

Postby Chuck_IV » Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:39 am

I had 2 reboots last night with in Netflix. BOTH were right after I started Netflix and it was trying to load my instant queue. It would sit there for about a minute(usually takes about 10 seconds if it does work) and the POOF... it rebooted.

So my reboots weren't specific to a program or type of stream.
Chuck_IV

Postby renojim » Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:52 pm

ECT_Phantom wrote:Today's reboot is on a four dot show Crime 360 season 2 Episode 15 crashes in the first 5 min or so. Try it on any stream to test. Why does a netflix program cause a Roku reboot and no other channel seems to freeze up and crash?

Thanks for any input and help.

I tried it a 3 dot stream and even forced my box to the maximum rate stream (which is the one I assume you're using) and I couldn't get it to happen. I have two boxes, an original and a new XDS, so neither is an XR, but I didn't think the video hardware portion of the box changed from the original to the XR. I could be wrong, so hopefully TheEndless will give it a try on his XR.

I doubt the Netflix channel has anything to do with it. It's more likely something about the stream. However, anytime I hear of a strange problem that happens sometimes and not others I immediately think about a possible overheating problem. The next time it happens I'd feel your box and adapter and see if either is unusually hot.

Sorry I can't be more help.
-JT
renojim

Postby ECT_Phantom » Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:51 pm

This is a replacement Roku-XR that I just received within the last 3 weeks and it came with the new Power supply that is 2.5 Amp. So the power supply should have a little breathing room. I feel bad for all the users that had problems with the 1.5 Amp and 2.0 Amp Power Supplies. All they hear is order a new power supply for this many $'s and your problem will go away. Roku knows they have a problem with their Power Supplies that is why the Amps keep going up. They should be replacing the defective for free.

The problem with returning the Roku is you lose some subscriptions. Example I lost 2 channels "Moonlight Madness" and "Drive-In Classics". I emailed the company to try and get these channels back that I paid for and no response. Granted they are $3 each, however I don't want to subscribe to anything I have to pay for when I don't know if Netflix is going to cause my Roku to die again.

What I really would like to know is how come only Netflix freezes and causes the Roku to Reboot all by itself? Is it a Netflix problem? Or is it a Roku Problem with there software?
ECT_Phantom

Next

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion