Hockey online

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Hockey online

Postby rbmunkin » Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:40 am

I thought I'd start a new thread where we can discuss ANY and ALL hockey online game watching systems. There is a separate thread for NHL Game Center.
I'd like to discuss hockeystream.

What can anyone say about it? Why go with the more restrictive and expensive NHL Gamecenter, over hockeystream? The only reason I can think of is that Roku will be supporting GC, which may very well be enough reason for me. But if someone else has a set up where their TV is acting as a computer monitor, then hockeystream sounds good, no?

I just got an email from hockeystream:
"We are currently in the process of developing applications for Roku, playOn, and Boxee. These will be ready in about a month. Alternatively, We have a large support of Homebrew applications which you can find at http://www.hockeystreams.com/homebrew".

Thoughts?
Thanks,
RB
rbmunkin

Re: Hockey online

Postby devil.punchbowl » Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:44 am

Of course at this time we don't have a hockeystreams private channel. If developers would like to reveal more I would leave it up to them if something is in the works. I'm not a developer so I can't really comment on it. So I'll personally leave my comments at that for now as far as a future channel goes......

Hockeystreams has no blackout dates. IT is a peer to peer type technology, but it is independent site. Rather then using something like justin TV that is free with terrible video quality. With JTV you have to abide by site rules so sports streams can be shut down by site owners. You have numerous choices on video quality depending on your internet speed. They will also be rolling out silverlight soon as H264. It is a test, but I would assume it will improve video quality even more if it works properly. Silver light has adaptive streaming so it feeds the video quality aoutmatically based on your internet speed just like gamecenter. Though gamecenter does not use silverlight. Currently the video quality I feel is not as good as gamecenter, but HS quality is acceptable. I carry both cause I can afford it. When gamecenter is blacked out I watch hockey streams. Or sometimes I use HS just to interact with community.

If your on a budget HS is the best. If you want superior video quality gamecenter is a better choice, but you get blackout dates. So you have to decide what is important to you. Also remeber HS may improve greatly with silverlight player. If it does I would probably not use gamecenter in the future.

I would suggest if you have not used gamecenter try it, and cancel within 4-5 days via the phone. Then try HS for however many days you want to try it for. No refunds with HS. User experience on HS does vary. Some love the site, and others do not. Both sites have positive, and negatives. You decide for yourself what you like. HS has some issues, but they seem to resolve it quickly. Their user base is also growing quickly so they have to adjust as the demand increases.

Legally as I understand it they are in a safe zone. They are outside of the NHL jurisdiction to do anything. Also the NHL does not have much money anyway. For me it is not a issue. Networks are greedy, and I choose not to support them. They all get money from me online anyway. For some this is a controversial area, and it is the most "hot" part of the discussion with most. Everyone has their own opinions on this issue. In the end everyone wants to think they are correct. You do what is most comfortable for you......

That is all the time I have for now. I may have missed some things in my rush. I'm familiar with the site very much. I don't push the site onto anyone. It exists as a second option for those that are interested. If you have further questions I will certainly watch the thread. Take care.
devil.punchbowl

Location: way way northern California coast - hidden behind the redwood curtain

Postby rbmunkin » Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:22 am

"Of course at this time we don't have a hockeystreams private channel. If developers would like to reveal more I would leave it up to them if something is in the works. I'm not a developer so I can't really comment on it. So I'll personally leave my comments at that for now as far as a future channel goes......"

Not sure what you mean here, but are you saying you don't believe them when they told me they will be on Roku, PlayOn, and Boxee in about a month?

Why does GC blackout VS games but HS can get away with not doing so? The legalities of all this is too confusing for me!

"I would suggest if you have not used gamecenter try it, and cancel within 4-5 days via the phone. Then try HS for however many days you want to try it for. No refunds with HS."

This would be ideal, except HS isn't on Roku yet so it's hard to compare. I'm leaning toward GC for this coming season since it is on Roku and I am not living near my team so my team won't be blacked out. There will be some blackouts due to some of their games being on VS and the NHL channel, and also NBC (I think games on these three channels are always blacked out on GC, right?), but I guess I can live with that. Looking at the Bruins TV schedule, I see 11 games on VS, 3 games on NHL, and 1 game on NBC. So I guess I'll miss 15 games. Quite a few, but manageable. 18% of the season. But then, the REAL season is the playoffs anyway!
Then maybe next year I'll reconsider.

Do you subscribe to HS for the whole year? It seems like their 6 month option would cover just about the whole season. Almost. There might be a week missed!

Thanks for the info and your thoughts.

RB
rbmunkin

Postby devil.punchbowl » Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:43 am

Well technically Playon channel is already on roku. So if they add HS to playon then it would be on roku technically. As far as a private channel to roku directly with HS. I am not a channel devoloper, and I don't own HS. So it would not be my place to speculate at this time. I'm sure if someone is working on a channel they will speak up when the time is right. To provide private channel code, etc.

I use the one year sub with HS. they also show other related hockey stuff. They recently also did the Olympic hockey. Have UFC ongoing from time to time. The best value is the year if you use the service. You also have the option in your account at your own doings to freeze the account. If you want to save your account time during off season. That basically extends the life of what you pay.

blackouts -

The NHL has agreements with various broadcasters. These agreements say basically that for example when versus broadcasts a game to a national audience. That versus has the sole rights to broadcasting that game. So no one else can legally broadcast it. Which is why gamecenter blackouts those national televised games. Similar situation with local channels. gamecenter is focused on customers that want to watch teams outside of their broadcast area. Thr NHL has to follow the agreements they made with the broadcasters.

HS is located outside of the US. The operational side of HS I believe is the Netherlands. I just so happens Playon is in the same area as HS. This is not by chance. The laws are different in other countries. So basically HS can do as they please as long as they can get away with it. As I understand it the country HS, Playon is in you could consider a "safe zone" so to speak. You could say that they are out of the jurisdiction of American companies being able to do anything. The local laws in these other countries have no need to enforce laws that are not on their books. Could this change someday ? Sure, but it will probably be a while. If you ask HS they will tell you they feel very, very comfortable with the situation. Opinions vary greatly on this topic. Each person will react to that differently. wrong, or right you do what feels right to you. Or enjoy the service while you can if you like it.
devil.punchbowl

Location: way way northern California coast - hidden behind the redwood curtain

Postby rbmunkin » Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:01 am

"I'm sure if someone is working on a channel they will speak up when the time is right."

I'm confused. Did you see where I told you that HS wrote to me and said they ARE working on a Roku application? They say it will be ready in about a month.

" You also have the option in your account at your own doings to freeze the account. If you want to save your account time during off season. That basically extends the life of what you pay."

Cool.

"HS is located outside of the US"

Aha, okay. Cool.

RB
rbmunkin

Postby DennisDubay » Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:34 pm

Stealing is stealing.

When everything is gone, don't wonder why. You didn't give anything back.
DennisDubay

Postby rbmunkin » Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:46 pm

DennisDubay wrote:Stealing is stealing.

When everything is gone, don't wonder why. You didn't give anything back.

Excuse me? If it's online and it's legal it's not stealing.
Besides, it' cost money. Stealing is taking something that doesn't belong to you without paying.
rbmunkin

Postby Longboat » Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:59 pm

Guys since hockey may start again some day, I'd like to open up the Hockeystreams vs. NHL Gamecenter debate as I see Roku has a Hockeystreams private channel. What do subscribers think about it now, not years ago. I watched their preview stream of a Russian game and it looked great.
cheers
Longboat

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion