MiFi Card for Roku Wireless Connection

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

MiFi Card for Roku Wireless Connection

Postby cavefolk » Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:10 am

Is anyone using a MiFi card with their Roku for their wireless connection. I'm a new user and just received my Roku. I have a Virgin Mobile 2200 MiFi data card that I want to use for the Roku connection. This MiFi device is not in the list of devices that people have used for their connection, but the MiFi is a pretty new deal. I do not get the Roku screen on my television after connecting the Roku to the TV and 110 power. Can anyone give me suggestions. I can hardly wait to be using this great little Roku box. Thanks.
cavefolk

Re: MiFi Card for Roku Wireless Connection

Postby jeffrok » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:29 am

Welcome to RokuLand ;-).

What kind of cables are you connecting the Roku to the TV with? What kind of TV is it.. Be as speicific as possible to your home setup so we can better assist.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koy2eg1ioZ8&list=HL1380998604&feature=mh_lolz
jeffrok
** Valued Community Member **

Postby cavefolk » Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:17 pm

Thanks for the welcome. I'm afraid I'm not quite into Rokuland but sure want to be. I apologize for not being more specific. I'm connecting the Roku to a Philips selector (switcher) device with the cables that came with the Roku (red/yellow/white ends). Then from the selector's "Output to TV" to our Sharp 36L-S400B television via red/yellow/white cables and s-video. So, it's the MiFi VirginMobile 2200 hotspot wireless > Roku red/yellow/white cable > Philips selector red/yellow/white cable > Sharp 36L-S400B television. Hope you can help.
cavefolk

Postby -LD » Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:53 pm

MiFi more than likely isn't going to be fast enough. And you will burn through your monthly data cap after a couple movies.
-LD

Postby Saqqara » Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:08 am

This type of thing has come up often as a prepurchase question, but I've never heard anyone try it and report actual results.
Saqqara

Postby DaBronx » Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:41 am

Great question and I just happen to have a Virgin Mobile mifi 2200 wireless hotspot.

I went into network settings, selected wireless networks and the Roku picked up the Virgin Mobile Mifi hotspot. I entered my password and it connected me. So far so good.

I went to Netflix and it loaded, not much longer than my usual load time using a Wireless N 5 ghz connection.

Selected a movie in HD, Cheech and Chong's "Up In Smoke". Selected play. Movie loaded, gave me HD quality as it loaded, took about two minutes to fully download (retrieving screen). Movie started and a few seconds in reloaded/rebuffered, this time Netflix quality showed 2 dots. Watching movie as I type this, about 20 minutes in and no reloads since the first which took picture quality from HD to 2 dots however the quality is very good. Not quite HD as usual but well above a SD picture. Picture is not as sharp as HD but much better than I anticipated with the mobile hotspot. Very watchable.

As to cost as one poster mentioned, not an issue. The Virgin Mobile Mifi hotspot is $40.00 a month with unlimited usage, uses the Sprint 3G network (Sprint owns Virgin Mobile).

I can say from trying it this morning that the VM Mifi 2200 will work with Roku. Will try other channels later.

Peace

brett
Roku2 XS #13A164000326, Roku3 (still in factory sealed box), Roku1, wired to Netgear WND 3700 router, 100 mb cable broadband, Samsung 50" 720p plasma tv, (Subscriber- Hulu+, Netflix, HBOGO, EPIX HD, 2014 MLB.TV Premium)
DaBronx

Postby j883376 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:10 am

And by "unlimited", I'm sure they mean 5GB.
j883376

Postby DaBronx » Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:58 am

j883376 wrote:And by "unlimited", I'm sure they mean 5GB.

No, unlimited means unlimited, see - http://www.virginmobileusa.com/mobile-b ... nd2go.html

Used to have a 5 gb monthly limit with Verizon mifi at $60.00 per month with outrageous usage charges after that. The VM is all the internet you can use for $40 a month and can connect up to 5 devices to it.

Peace

brett
Roku2 XS #13A164000326, Roku3 (still in factory sealed box), Roku1, wired to Netgear WND 3700 router, 100 mb cable broadband, Samsung 50" 720p plasma tv, (Subscriber- Hulu+, Netflix, HBOGO, EPIX HD, 2014 MLB.TV Premium)
DaBronx

Postby cavefolk » Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:39 pm

DaBronx, this is great! Thanks for testing your Virgin Mobile Mifi. I have the unlimited VM plan and love it. You've proven that the VirginMobile MiFi does work with the Roku. I'd be tickled to have the results you got, but... I can't get my new roku to work at all with my VM card. I just get a black screen with "Input 1" which is the television's input I've connected to. I've tried powering both off and restarting. Also have tried setting the MiFi next to the Roku. Most people have such an easy setup that I wondered if I'm missing something obvious. I checked my connections and I think they're good and where they should be. I hope someone has some suggestions for me. Thanks again for your input and I appreciated the comments from others too.
cavefolk

Postby xackley » Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:39 pm

You should see the Roku screen with or without a network connection.

Simplify your setup. connect the cables directly to your tv.
If that don't display a ROKU screen, try a different set of cables.
If that don't work, and the power light on the Roku is on, there is something wrong with the roku box.
xackley

Postby kc8pql » Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:14 am

xackley wrote:You should see the Roku screen with or without a network connection.

Simplify your setup. connect the cables directly to your tv.

+1
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
OTA Antenna, "Netflix Player" N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R
kc8pql

Postby DaBronx » Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:21 am

cavefolk wrote:DaBronx, this is great! Thanks for testing your Virgin Mobile Mifi. I have the unlimited VM plan and love it. You've proven that the VirginMobile MiFi does work with the Roku. I'd be tickled to have the results you got, but... I can't get my new roku to work at all with my VM card. I just get a black screen with "Input 1" which is the television's input I've connected to. I've tried powering both off and restarting. Also have tried setting the MiFi next to the Roku. Most people have such an easy setup that I wondered if I'm missing something obvious. I checked my connections and I think they're good and where they should be. I hope someone has some suggestions for me. Thanks again for your input and I appreciated the comments from others too.

Any luck getting it going? As others have suggested try a direct hook-up from Roku to your TV and you should see the Roku home screen even without a network connection. Once at the home screen go into your network settings ---> then select scan wireless networks and your VM Mifi should appear, enter your password and you should be good to go.

BTW, good thing for unlimited usage, the one movie I watched yesterday used over 500 gb on the portable hotspot. Checked out the PlayOn channel also, streamed well, again not quite HD but very watchable with the VM hotspot.

Peace

brett
DaBronx

Postby DAS » Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:30 pm

A rep at Roku support just advised me you can not use Roku with a hotspot wireless connection. I was getting ready to pack up the device and return it when I saw this forum. Our apartment complex provides wi-fi to the residents. When I set up the Roku and got to the point "Select wireless network" my provider (Triton Wireless 1.3) is highlighted so I select it. The response is "Can't connect to Roku. Please try again later. Contact Roku support at roku.com/support. Code 011. I contacted them and that is when they advised it can't be used with a "hotspot" connection. Any advice?
DAS

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion