How are "Most Popular" Channels Determined?

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

How are "Most Popular" Channels Determined?

Postby trothatl » Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:11 pm

I'm just curious - does anyone know how Roku determines the "Most Popular" channels listed under that category in the Channel Store? Is it based on the number of people who have added that channel to "My Channels"? Or is it based on some viewing parameter? If the latter, is it the number of times the channel is accessed? The number of videos viewed? The amount of time spent on that channel?

Also, are the channels shown in the order of popularity? Right now, only 25 channels are shown under "Most Popular", starting with Netflix - that leads me to believe that they are in the order of popularity - followed by Amazon Video on Demand, then Pandora, Roku Newscaster, Revison3, Pub-D-Hub... well, you can go to your Roku player to see the rest of them.

That brings up another question - what does Roku track in regard to our viewing habits? But that could be a different post. I'm not paranoid about my viewing being tracked, I'm just wondering how "Most Popular" is determined.
trothatl

Re: How are "Most Popular" Channels Determined?

Postby BoloMKXXVIII » Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:18 am

Yes, Roku tracks what channels you watch. I read it somewhere in the developer forum.

As for "Most Popular", I think they use a magic 8 ball.
The NSA is the largest criminal organization in the United States.

** Non-valued Community Member **
BoloMKXXVIII

Postby kc8pql » Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:29 am

BoloMKXXVIII wrote:As for "Most Popular", I think they use a magic 8 ball.

I think user ratings are used to determine the most popular. Open a channel in the channel store and you'll see an option to choose between 1 and 5 stars in the menu.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
OTA Antenna, "Netflix Player" N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R
kc8pql
** Valued Community Member **

Postby lilaclily » Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:16 pm

I dont know but i can tell u that PANDORA is a treasure trove. The songs are mostly original ones with full length, not the cut up version you hear on the radio.
I am hearing right now the "old school" Parliament funkadelik , Funketelechy.... ha ha... almost 11 minutes... rock on.
lilaclily

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion