Playon Alternative(s)

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

Re: Playon Alternative(s)

Postby TheEndless » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:59 pm

DeftOne wrote:
dynamitemedia wrote:well play on circumvents ads etc is my guess...

The Roku PlayOn channel did NOT circumvent the ads normally seen when watching the stream on your PC.

It did make it possible to fast forward through them, though, if you let a buffer build up, which isn't possible via the web player. I would also argue that PlayOn doesn't technically do "screencasting" either, since the video is never actually displayed on any physical screen that's being "casted", but that's a topic for some other discussion, somewhere else... :P
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), MainSqueeze (MAINSQUEEZE), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), Justin.tv (JUSTINTV), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
TheEndless
** Valued Community Member **

Postby smlsr » Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:49 pm

TheEndless wrote:
DeftOne wrote:
dynamitemedia wrote:well play on circumvents ads etc is my guess...

The Roku PlayOn channel did NOT circumvent the ads normally seen when watching the stream on your PC.

It did make it possible to fast forward through them, though, if you let a buffer build up, which isn't possible via the web player. I would also argue that PlayOn doesn't technically do "screencasting" either, since the video is never actually displayed on any physical screen that's being "casted", but that's a topic for some other discussion, somewhere else... :P

Awwww...... lol
smlsr

Postby Saqqara » Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:32 pm

Playon was a paid subscription service that expressly marketed itself as a way to get Hulu among others who might not approve of the idea, on your TV. Look at the 1.2.3. diagram on Playon's website. It's that parasitic business model that Roku may have felt was a liability, both legally, and in terms of creating barriers to courting premium content rights-holders to directly support the platform. A TV network executive's eyes will probably glaze over when you talk about streaming protocols but slap his brand name and logo all over your website as if it was your product to deliver and you will quickly have his attention.

Comparing AVC or DLNA to that may be the difference between "pocket knife" and "switchblade." I think it is important how you brand your channel and what applications for it you support on these forums. You need to understand what Roku is trying to achieve and position it to be compatible with those goals. Roku has been very supportive of developers, tinkerers, and even armchair quarterbacks, and that's created an environment where I can't wait to log in here each day and see what new thing someone has come up with.
Saqqara

Postby K9man » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:12 pm

Ok sorry if this is'nt the right thread, but is there another way to watch shows like Modern Family, without using Playon? I hear the debates between Netflix and Playon, but using Hulu with Playon is the only way I can watch a current episode after the kids are asleep. If there is something else beside Playon I'd use it. So for now it's either watching on the PC or tv with Playon.
K9man

Postby TheEndless » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:27 pm

K9man wrote:Ok sorry if this is'nt the right thread, but is there another way to watch shows like Modern Family, without using Playon? I hear the debates between Netflix and Playon, but using Hulu with Playon is the only way I can watch a current episode after the kids are asleep. If there is something else beside Playon I'd use it. So for now it's either watching on the PC or tv with Playon.

Not today, but you'll be able to once the Hulu+ channel is released, if you want to pay for the Hulu+ service.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), MainSqueeze (MAINSQUEEZE), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), Justin.tv (JUSTINTV), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
TheEndless
** Valued Community Member **

Postby dynamitemedia » Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:55 pm

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=33646

test it out and see what ya think, hope its useful for someone
Twitter: iptvmyway facebook: iptvmyay
Channels: Warriors of War, Go Fight Live, Heading Outdoorz, IPTVmyway
dynamitemedia

Previous

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion