Hulu Plus now on Sony blu-ray

Moderators: RokuShawnS, RokuDouglas, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Re: Hulu Plus now on Sony blu-ray

Postby TheEndless » Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:37 pm

shelleyp wrote:I am a new subscriber.

You're only "new" until you've activated and signed up. Since you've already watched some videos per your earlier post, I'm assuming you've already signed up, so you'd no longer be "new" as far as that activation page is concerned.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), MainSqueeze (MAINSQUEEZE), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), Justin.tv (JUSTINTV), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
TheEndless
** Valued Community Member **

Postby CalvinMcGowan » Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:56 pm

When the Hulu Plus icon changed on my Sony, I got as giddy as a school girl on prom night and immediately signed up on-line.

Three hours later, I canceled my subscription.

Hulu Plus's movie selection is extremely subpar; a majority of the movies aren't even worthy of Wal-Mart's bargain bin. With movies being my primary interest, I just can't see myself paying ten bucks a month for access to movies I will most likely never watch. And as for their selection of television shows, it too is weak, at least for me. Again, there just aren't enough shows that interest me enough to cause me to be willing to pay a monthly fee for. So for now, I will keep the ten bucks in my pocket and remain monogamous with Netflix, who provides access to a more-than-adequate quantity of movies and television shows I want to watch, and will check out Hulu Plus again six months from now, after it has gone through its growing pains, to see if their selection has improved.
CalvinMcGowan

Postby shelleyp » Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:05 pm

TheEndless wrote:
shelleyp wrote:I am a new subscriber.

You're only "new" until you've activated and signed up. Since you've already watched some videos per your earlier post, I'm assuming you've already signed up, so you'd no longer be "new" as far as that activation page is concerned.

I had watched Hulu, not Hulu Plus.
shelleyp

Postby TheEndless » Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:14 pm

shelleyp wrote:I had watched Hulu, not Hulu Plus.

Sorry, I missed the part where you said it rejected your activation code when you first tried to activate. I thought you were trying the special offer page after you had already activated on the other. :oops:
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), MainSqueeze (MAINSQUEEZE), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), Justin.tv (JUSTINTV), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
TheEndless
** Valued Community Member **

Postby shelleyp » Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:03 pm

TheEndless wrote:
shelleyp wrote:I had watched Hulu, not Hulu Plus.

Sorry, I missed the part where you said it rejected your activation code when you first tried to activate. I thought you were trying the special offer page after you had already activated on the other. :oops:

Ah, no worries.

No, I tried activation code, and when that failed, did the full sign up.

When it becomes available on Roku, though, double-check with this forum, see if there's any special deals and how to ensure you get them.
shelleyp

Postby shelleyp » Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:13 pm

I just heard from Hulu Plus customer support. They weren't even aware that Hulu Plus had been turned on for the blu-rays, that's how recent it was.

Regardless, they told me the two month promotion is only applicable if you buy the TV or blu-ray between November 1, 2010, and January 31, 2011.

That makes more sense: it's a package promotion thing.
shelleyp

Postby jhernes » Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:50 pm

shelleyp wrote:Regardless, they told me the two month promotion is only applicable if you buy the TV or blu-ray between November 1, 2010, and January 31, 2011.

Yes! It was pretty clear from there web sites that you need to buy there expensive BD or TV. Why they didn't offer it yet to SMP-N100? Would Roku pick up the tab they're already did it for Netflix and $10 for Amazon, A combination of three would be a profitable Christmas, but I don't think so or who knows? If the promotion is applied to SMP-N100 that's a different ball game.
Last edited by jhernes on Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ROKU MODEL: N1000 - Decommissioned, HD 2000C-00 - Decommissioned, XS 3100R - Visio 50, R3 4200R - Samsung LN55
jhernes

Postby CalvinMcGowan » Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:05 pm

jhernes wrote:
shelleyp wrote:Regardless, they told me the two month promotion is only applicable if you buy the TV or blu-ray between November 1, 2010, and January 31, 2011.

Yes! It was pretty clear from there web sites that you need to buy there expensive BD and TV. Why they didn't offer it yet to SMP-N100? Would Roku pick up the tab they're already did it for Netflix and $10 for Amazon, A combination of three would be a profitable Christmas, but I don't think so or who knows? If the promotion is applied to SMP-N100 that's a different ball game.

It's odd that Sony's Hulu Plus promotion web site does not mention any purchase beginning date, only a "purchase by" date.

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/sto ... &langId=-1

(Be sure to expand and read the Terms & Condtitions.)
CalvinMcGowan

Postby shelleyp » Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:50 am

CalvinMcGowan wrote:
jhernes wrote:

Yes! It was pretty clear from there web sites that you need to buy there expensive BD and TV. Why they didn't offer it yet to SMP-N100? Would Roku pick up the tab they're already did it for Netflix and $10 for Amazon, A combination of three would be a profitable Christmas, but I don't think so or who knows? If the promotion is applied to SMP-N100 that's a different ball game.

It's odd that Sony's Hulu Plus promotion web site does not mention any purchase beginning date, only a "purchase by" date.

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/sto ... &langId=-1

(Be sure to expand and read the Terms & Condtitions.)

The offer has already started, and they are using terminology that implies the deal is for new users. I suppose they could have used "Between now and..." to clarify, but no biggie.

I really wasn't expecting anything. And my problems with activation were only because I hadn't signed up for the account when I got the activation code and tried to enter. Well, sure, of course. I'm used to having subscription first and _then_ registering a device. And I wasn't expecting the Hulu to work, just clicking it out of curiosity.

I'm still not sure about the commercials. I would rather pay a few bucks more and have no commercials. Also a bit disappointed in how many TV shows aren't in Plus yet. Including some older ones I rather expected to be in the service.

I'd say Plus needs some tweaking. However, customer service is first rate. And the video quality is excellent. I watched an old Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea. It's not widescreen but the quality was exceptional. Fun to see, too.

I'll keep the subscription, give the service some time to work through the business model. I don't have cable so I can afford to play around a bit.
shelleyp

Postby moviegeek65 » Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:51 am

jhernes wrote:

Yes! It was pretty clear from there web sites that you need to buy there expensive BD or TV. Why they didn't offer it yet to SMP-N100? Would Roku pick up the tab they're already did it for Netflix and $10 for Amazon, A combination of three would be a profitable Christmas, but I don't think so or who knows? If the promotion is applied to SMP-N100 that's a different ball game.

Hulu Plus works on my SMP-N100 but not the promotion, I bought it on 9/22.
I agree that the wording on Sony's website should be clearer.
moviegeek65

Postby shelleyp » Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:01 am

There's another issue I found, too, that you'll all want to be aware of.

When browsing for TV shows at the Hulu site, I noticed that Sanctuary was listed as Hulu Plus. However when I searched for it on my blu-ray I couldn't find it.

I then discovered that there are clips available for TV, but not the full shows. So if you're looking to decide if this is a good deal and you see a show marked as H+, make sure you can access full shows, not just clips.

A bit of misinformation on Hulu's side.
shelleyp

Postby devil.punchbowl » Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:12 pm

Slacker radio - ABC news reported this. They also mentioned Hulu Plus would be released on the PS3 next week.
devil.punchbowl

Location: way way northern California coast - hidden behind the redwood curtain

Postby nickthrolson » Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:47 pm

I don't know if this is on sony's side or hulus side but I would really like to see a resume playing and easier way to watch old seasons I thought hulu would have season 1 to 7 of house for example. also would like to see the buffering issue addressed something like netflix has mine keeps trying to play in 720 eats up my internet and lags had to go down to 480. If your having problems with buffering go to the settings and un check the auto adjust which is best for your internet speed they need to fix some of the bugs.
nickthrolson

Postby jcmolet » Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:53 pm

nickthrolson wrote:I don't know if this is on sony's side or hulus side but I would really like to see a resume playing and easier way to watch old seasons I thought hulu would have season 1 to 7 of house for example. also would like to see the buffering issue addressed something like netflix has mine keeps trying to play in 720 eats up my internet and lags had to go down to 480. If your having problems with buffering go to the settings and un check the auto adjust which is best for your internet speed they need to fix some of the bugs.

You will probably get better feedback in the Sony or Hulu Plus forums.
jcmolet

Postby mkiker2089 » Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:52 pm

nickthrolson wrote:I don't know if this is on sony's side or hulus side but I would really like to see a resume playing and easier way to watch old seasons I thought hulu would have season 1 to 7 of house for example. also would like to see the buffering issue addressed something like netflix has mine keeps trying to play in 720 eats up my internet and lags had to go down to 480. If your having problems with buffering go to the settings and un check the auto adjust which is best for your internet speed they need to fix some of the bugs.

I think you expect too much regarding season 1-7 of House. Hulu is cheap so they spend their resources on the Season pass. I like it personally. Keep it cheap and relevant. Let Netflix take care of the catalog items.

Just like the people who complain about it not having movies. It wasn't intended for that, they've added a few for variety but it's not the point. Hulu is TV.
-Marshall-

Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv.
I know nothing, I see nothing, I wasn't there,
and if I was there, I was asleep.
mkiker2089

PreviousNext

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion