Netflix versus Hulu Plus

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

Netflix versus Hulu Plus

Postby mkiker2089 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:18 am

How many here use both?

I've tested Hulu on the PS3 against Netflix. I have to say Hulu is less than stellar so far. It's good, but I'm hard pressed to say I'd keep it.

The picture quality is worse, pretty bad actually for "HD." I've tried setting it to HD manually but I still just don't see it. Then again setting it to the lowest setting doesn't make much of a change either which makes me wonder if the override is actually just a red herring. This could be an issue with some encodes though. Bones looked good, House looked even better. Eureka however didn't look very clear at all on any bitrate setting. Hulu lacks any way of knowing which stream you are getting as well. One would assume that "auto" would give you the best your bandwidth could allow but there's no way of knowing that. Why would they leave such an obvious feature out?

The interface is nice, but I don't want Netflix to adopt it. Apples and Oranges thing here. Hulu is a little complicated to use but their set up seems to warrant it.
-Marshall-

Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv.
I know nothing, I see nothing, I wasn't there,
and if I was there, I was asleep.
mkiker2089

Re: Netflix versus Hulu Plus

Postby moviegeek65 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:46 pm

So far I'm happy with Hulu since I don't have cable or a DVR, the HD PQ is a little soft but acceptable. If you go on Hulu's website and hover the cursor over a show it will tell you if you can get it in HD on TV. I noticed they only have one commercial at the beginning of the show which is nice, I think all the complaining and they have good revenue made them reduce the ads.

http://money.cnn.com/2010/11/10/technol ... hollywood/
moviegeek65

Postby mkiker2089 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:17 pm

The commercials seem to vary per show. Bob Newhart is a short show but it had to commercial breaks anyhow. They were short however. I watched Bones and don't recall it having commercials, yet Doogie Howser did.

Someone said the commercials were at bad times, I haven't seen that either. I've only watched TV shows but it seems like they did a good job with the placements. Movies might be a different story.

Have either of you seen the "skip" effect on your shows? I got that a few times. It was like bad editing or something because a second of the show will be skipped. If I rewind however it doesn't usually do that. It shouldn't be an internet issue because the PS3 is hardwired to a ~20mbps connection.

I don't mind the commercials but I would prefer the price drop. I'd rather have less content (I'll explain later) and pay less.

Anyway some random thoughts.

-people have complained about a lack of movies. I'd rather they didn't spend anything on movies and keep the costs down. Hulu was built off of TV. If you want movies get Starz.
- they need a system to tell you exactly what stream you get and when. Netflix always ensures a way to know at least vaguely. I also think that the override either doesn't work, or isn't accurate. For example I'm pretty sure some of the shows that show HD because of the overrride aren't really HD. Maybe someone can check and see if it's the same on other platforms (I just have a PS3.)
- to me Hulu's biggest asset is the current season programs. They really need to focus on that. Having classics is nice, but Netflix has that. Hulu can't beat Netflix, it just won't happen. They need to make sure to stick to their strong points.
-Marshall-

mkiker2089

Postby j653 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:24 pm

According to Engadget, Hulu+ on the PS3 offers four bitrates. 1 mbps (SD), 1.5 mbps (HD), 2.5 mbps (HD) and 3.2 mbps (HD). Assuming a high-quality file is submitted to Hulu, the video quality should be very similar.
j653

Postby jcmolet » Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:27 pm

debro1114 wrote:I watch Netflix through my Roku. I don't think Netflix or Hulu Plus is an either or. I am happy I have both of them and feel they compliment each other. What one doesn't have available the other usually does.

Agreed. I have expressed a similar sentiment in other threads that discuss Hulu Plus. It seems as though a lot of people are focused on seeing the introduction of Hulu Plus as a contest between it and Netflix. While there is some overlap and it is possible (probably even likely) that they will come more into direct competition (content wise) in the future, right now that is not the case. One service focuses on older movies and television shows, while the other focuses primarily on the current season of some television shows, older seasons of shows and a few movies/documentaries as filler. Regarding picture quality, I have viewed content from both on multiple devices and by and large their quality (along with other streaming services like Amazon VoD and Blockbuster VoD) is similar. The quality may vary a little between the various devices, service or particular program, but overall there is no discernible difference. The one streaming service that is clearly superior, regarding PQ, in my experience is Vudu.
jcmolet

Postby ltgrady » Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:31 pm

I'll have to vote for Netflix.

Because I STILL don't have stinking Hulu on my Roku!!!
ltgrady

Postby jcmolet » Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:00 pm

ltgrady wrote:I'll have to vote for Netflix.

Because I STILL don't have stinking Hulu on my Roku!!!

I heard a rumor they were not going to release the channel until there is at least a 24-hour period where no one mentions the 'H' word in these forums. :?
jcmolet

Postby mkiker2089 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:09 pm

People have been asking for hulu for years now. I remember personally talking about it before any Revision 3 was added even.

Can anyone remember which was first MLB or Revision 3?

As far as hulu quality, I'll have to watch more. I would prefer to get work done around the house and be productive but I feel obligated to help others with their in depth research on interactive digital entertainment.
The sacrifices I make.

I want to add that I won't continue to pay 10 dollars a month. I'd rather pay 5 even if it means a few more ads. I told Hulu that I'm going to bu lots of stuff from Victoria Secret so the ads I'm getting aren't that bad :twisted:
-Marshall-

mkiker2089

Postby shelleyp » Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:55 pm

Interestingly enough, tonight I've had excellent service with Hulu Plus (via Sony blu-ray)

Before, I was getting several ads, and a lot of buffering. Tonight, though, one ad before the show and no buffering. The show quality has always been excellent.

If it continues like tonight, I'm keeping it.

It doesn't compare to Netflix, but it does make a nice addition.
shelleyp

Postby shelleyp » Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:59 pm

Yup, Hulu has changed its format.

The buffering has stopped and the only ads are at the beginning of the show.

Now, this is much more like it!
shelleyp

Postby mkiker2089 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:11 pm

I don't know what shows you guys are watching but I'm still getting a break or two during the show. They are 30 seconds, but they are there. I'm watching Bones now and it had two spots. One after the credits, one mid show. There will probably be at least one more near the end.

I'm not seeing any real buffering either. Netflix on the PS3 buffers almost instantly but Hulu is even faster. Of course it has a static screen ad at the start so it may hide behind that.

Actually I've thought for a while that Netflix should do something like that. Not an ad though (maybe). Like the Stars opening screens but with less motion so it will help get shows started. One thing I've learned working with the public is that people don't mind waiting if they aren't bored in the process. Give them a magazine and a cup of coffee and they will gladly sit and relax a minute. If Netflix gave us a splash screen to distract it would be cool. They could even go as far as put rating info, running time, year of release etc.
-Marshall-

mkiker2089

Postby shelleyp » Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:35 am

Well, as other blu-ray and PS3 etc users are finding, all of the videos have disappeared. There's some kind of major system failure and no video will play.

That's why Roku owners (such as me, too) should be glad Hulu Plus isn't available on the Rokus yet. By the time it gets to the Roku, hopefully a lot of the streaming and ad issues will be resolved.
shelleyp

Postby jcmolet » Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:59 am

shelleyp wrote:Well, as other blu-ray and PS3 etc users are finding, all of the videos have disappeared. There's some kind of major system failure and no video will play.

That's why Roku owners (such as me, too) should be glad Hulu Plus isn't available on the Rokus yet. By the time it gets to the Roku, hopefully a lot of the streaming and ad issues will be resolved.

I think it is possible the troubles you are seeing are related to your Sony Blu-ray player, your LAN or some combination of the two. I am not experiencing problems with Hulu Plus on any of my devices. Also, you had mentioned buffering problems recently...again, no such issues on any of my devices.
jcmolet

Postby moviegeek65 » Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:51 pm

I'm also not experiencing missing videos or buffering, shelleyp is it possible that your videos have expired or are not available on TV?
moviegeek65

Postby mkiker2089 » Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:47 pm

Hulu is having trouble. I have plenty of bandwidth and have seen it. It's growing pains maybe.
-Marshall-

mkiker2089

Next

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion