The Next Channel to Clamor For...

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

The Next Channel to Clamor For...

Postby jcmolet » Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:02 am

Now that Hulu -- in the form of Hulu Plus -- has finally arrived, what is the next channel people will clamor for? While ESPN3 might appear to be the obvious answer, I would vote for Vudu. No doubt that ESPN3 would be nice, unfortunately the current model/implementation ties it to only certain cable providers...a lot of users would still be left out in the cold.

It looks like Walmart is going to push Vudu to compete with Amazon VoD as it appears Vudu is making its way to the PS3 by the end of the month.
http://www.zatznotfunny.com/2010-11/vud ... /#comments

I like Amazon VoD on the Roku player; however, Vudu has the best streaming quality I have seen and competition is always a good thing.
jcmolet

Re: The Next Channel to Clamor For...

Postby KennyJ » Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:41 am

I'm not a sports fan so nothing really. I'd really just like to see more content on Hulu, Netflix, and Amazon. There are websites I use that I would like to see on my Roku, but nothing big. I think live TV (like Filmon, but high quality and not flaky) could be interesting.
Last edited by KennyJ on Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
KennyJ

Postby tobarefeet » Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:47 am

playon or film on if not ESPN3. vodu would be good, competition is always a good thing. A true weather channel would be nice. Hey, I'm just grateful for hulu plus.

Mints on my pillow too. LOL
tobarefeet

Postby jcmolet » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:02 am

tobarefeet wrote:... Hey, I'm just grateful for hulu plus.

Hulu Plus is definitely a nice addition. While there has been -- and will probably continue to be -- a lot of discussion about content, pricing, UI, etc., I think it is nice to have another option. The a la carte nature of Roku is part of what makes it so compelling. If you like, and can afford it, add the channel. If you don't like and/or cannot afford it, don't add it. Moreover, I think competition is a great thing. As much as I like Netflix, I like the fact that Hulu Plus offers something a little different and serves as a counter weight in a way. Do we really want Netflix to be the only game in town?
jcmolet

Postby berger6696 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:06 am

I'd love to see live sports (not available OTA) on the Roku. ESPN, NFL Network, Big Ten Network (Go Bucks!) come to mind.
berger6696

Postby BoloMKXXVIII » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:13 am

How about a Discovery networks channel? Discovery, TLC, TLC Health, etc.
The NSA is the largest criminal organization in the United States.

** Non-valued Community Member **
BoloMKXXVIII

Postby KennyJ » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:14 am

BoloMKXXVIII wrote:How about a Discovery networks channel? Discovery, TLC, TLC Health, etc.

These would be great, but I'd be just as happy if they were part of my $8 Hulu or $10 Netflix. :)
KennyJ

Postby scyber » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:18 am

NFL Sunday Ticket To Go

I know its never gonna happen, but I can dream can't I?

Vudu and ESPN3 are 2 that I would like to see also. They are also pretty likely to be coming at some point (based on the companies strategies). I'm not a big fan of the PPV VOD model, but as was already said, competition is good.

Content from the following networks (be it via an independent channel or hulu/netflix) would also allow me to cut the cord completely: TLC, HGTV, USA, FX, AMC, Food Network.
scyber

Postby BoloMKXXVIII » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:20 am

KennyJ wrote:
BoloMKXXVIII wrote:How about a Discovery networks channel? Discovery, TLC, TLC Health, etc.

These would be great, but I'd be just as happy if they were part of my $8 Hulu or $10 Netflix. :)

The problem with Hulu or Netflix is they wouldn't/don't carry everything the network offers. A dedicated channel would (hopefully) have their full line up. I would definitely pay for that.
The NSA is the largest criminal organization in the United States.

** Non-valued Community Member **
BoloMKXXVIII

Postby berger6696 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:25 am

BoloMKXXVIII wrote:
KennyJ wrote:

The problem with Hulu or Netflix is they wouldn't/don't carry everything the network offers. A dedicated channel would (hopefully) have their full line up. I would definitely pay for that.

Excellent! Either way would Rock!
berger6696

Postby mega1026 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:38 am

I could care less, but I would assume ESPN3 would be the next big "get"

the only thing that would top that would be a network specific channel, like a CBS channel or ABC channel, etc
mega1026

Postby cangel0612 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:47 am

A big YES to all of those...

ESPN3, because if you have an ISP that already subscribes, there are no extra fees. :D

CBS: For sure!

Vudu: there are more fees, but might be worth looking into

TLC, Discovery, AMC, Food Network... would be great!
Roku HD
HDTV 720p HDMI 37"
Cox Internet Premier
No cable/sat service :)

Roku Private Channel List: http://almostaccurate.com/roku/
cangel0612

Postby bozzy » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:08 am

BoloMKXXVIII wrote:
KennyJ wrote:

Yeah, but Netflix and Roku have the ability to get licensing deals with those providers. While Roku is doing a great job providing channels, they aren't really in position to provide that type of network content.
bozzy

Postby shdware » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:26 am

scyber wrote:Content from the following networks (be it via an independent channel or hulu/netflix) would also allow me to cut the cord completely: TLC, HGTV, USA, FX, AMC, Food Network.

TheEndless has already released an unofficial HGTV channel. It's quite good.
4200R [Roku 3]

Formerly:
3100X [Roku 2 XS]
2050X [Roku XD]

42" VIZIO via HDMI @ 1080p
Comcast 20Mbit
shdware

Postby SuetyStanes » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:43 am

Comedy Central. Since they separated from Hulu it'd be nice to have a separate channel for their stuff.

In fact, a more a la carte offering of most of the cable channels would be great. One of the reasons I left cable long ago was because there was a lot that I was paying for that I never watched. If I could pick and choose what I wanted to pay for, those channels would regain a customer.

Premium channels like HBO and Showtime could be cool too, if priced right.
SuetyStanes

Next

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion