Suddenlink Cable vs AT&T DSL for Roku?

Discussions about Roku products, channels, and Roku-related topics.

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Suddenlink Cable vs AT&T DSL for Roku?

Postby NeilGunton » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:20 am

I am taking the plunge today and dropping my Suddenlink Cable TV service altogether. I'm keeping the 10Mb internet, for Netflix streaming on my Roku, and going to AT&T for a basic local phone package.

Apparently AT&T has 6Mb DSL in my area for $19.95 for 12 months ($40 after that). I'll be paying Suddenlink $54.95 for their 10Mb service. Both have 768 up.

This 6Mb DSL seems pretty cheap. Can anybody give me any advice on whether it would be a good idea to switch over to AT&T from Suddenlink for internet? I am a website developer, and I need good, reliable, fast internet from my home. Suddenlink has been ok so far, with the occasional outage, and I get about 7 or 8 Mb on speedtest.net. I'd like to save some money, but I don't want to get into an endless round of hassle. How is AT&T DSL these days? Is it pretty reliable? Is 6Mb enough for good streaming on the Roku? Or is DSL as dead as a dodo these days?

Thanks,

Neil
NeilGunton

Re: Suddenlink Cable vs AT&T DSL for Roku?

Postby mkiker2089 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:44 am

DSL often uses a router/modem which some have had issues with. Most don't however. DSL should be rock solid if it works well on day one. Most phone companies are expanding their fiber optic network to extend range and increase quality.

I think DSL would be fine so go for it.
-Marshall-

Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv.
I know nothing, I see nothing, I wasn't there,
and if I was there, I was asleep.
mkiker2089

Postby Village Idiot » Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:22 pm

I have the AT&T DSL Pro
works great for me.
I use the AT&T all-in-one router/modem 2701 HG-B
I don't think they make it anymore.
If and when i need a new one i'm going with another combo router/modem
Less headaches.
Years ago i had a separate modem from a route. Nothing but hookup problems.
Get the combo and you're good to go.
Village Idiot

Postby senorgregster » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:02 pm

Did you want HD streaming?
senorgregster

Postby NeilGunton » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:09 pm

senorgregster wrote:Did you want HD streaming?

Potentially in the future, yes. Right now we have a standard definition CRT TV. Why do you ask, is 6Mb DSL not sufficient for that in your experience?

I have gone ahead and ordered their fastest "Elite" DSL service, to try it out in parallel with the Suddenlink cable. If it doesn't seem good then I'll get rid of it.

I have to say, the connect.att.com website is completely baffling in its utter glacial slowness. It literally takes minutes to render a page sometimes. How on earth does AT&T think that this is going to attract new customers? It's an extremely frustrating experience, almost like they are trying to drive people away. I went in with my eyes open, however - unfortunately we have limited choices for internet and phone service, so you just have to grit your teeth and put up with the dysfunctional service on all fronts.

Neil
NeilGunton

Postby senorgregster » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:26 pm

NeilGunton wrote:
senorgregster wrote:Did you want HD streaming?

Potentially in the future, yes. Right now we have a standard definition CRT TV. Why do you ask, is 6Mb DSL not sufficient for that in your experience?

I have gone ahead and ordered their fastest "Elite" DSL service, to try it out in parallel with the Suddenlink cable. If it doesn't seem good then I'll get rid of it.

I have to say, the connect.att.com website is completely baffling in its utter glacial slowness. It literally takes minutes to render a page sometimes. How on earth does AT&T think that this is going to attract new customers? It's an extremely frustrating experience, almost like they are trying to drive people away. I went in with my eyes open, however - unfortunately we have limited choices for internet and phone service, so you just have to grit your teeth and put up with the dysfunctional service on all fronts.

Neil

I don't have experience with HD (I'm also on my trusty SD set) but I would be worried about bottlenecks at 6MB if I was doing web development work plus HD streaming. For instance, with ~6MB from Comcast I used to have VOIP (Vonage) issues when streaming SD. FYI - there are some good posts on the forum re: speed requirements for 1, 2, 3, 4 star and HD quality. Do a search for something like "speed requirements star and HD quality".
senorgregster

Postby NeilGunton » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:38 pm

I would never be doing web development and HD streaming at the same time. To be clear, I'm not doing contract stuff or VOIP, I just ssh into my colo server and also have my workstation at home set up as a MySQL slave to the production master. I mainly work on my own website, nothing too extravagant (though it is quite a busy community site, related to bicycle touring - you can see it via my home page link if you're interested).

DSL appears to be highly variable depending on location and distance from the telco office. I guess the only way to find out is to try it, so I'll just do that. I'm keeping the Suddenlink cable internet in the meantime, so hopefully no harm done either way except for a month or two (if that) of parallel service.

I was concerned about the possibility of data transfer caps with AT&T, since they had apparently been running a data cap test run, but from what I can gather they seem to have dropped that idea. Maybe they got the message from their customers that people *really* don't like the idea of data caps on their home service. Strangely, people seem much more open to the concept for their cellular data plans, but that's a whole other story.

The speed test will tell the tale... I have my own Netgear WiFi router, so hopefully it'll be a fairly painless and simple process to swap the two connections and see how they compare.

Thanks,

Neil
NeilGunton

Postby MoonChaser » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:19 pm

I have my Internet through AT&T Uverse, 6mb speed, and my connection is rock-solid. I don't have HD, but it should be fast enough for that. I believe the HD streams require around 3-4 mpbs so that should be fast enough for you, with room to spare even.

"regular" DSL from them at the same speed should work as well.
MoonChaser

Postby bullardc » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:27 pm

I have the regular AT&T 6mb dsl, and get hd streams with no problems while running two players at once. So I don't see a problem. Oh, and on top of that, someone else will be using the Internet. So the speed and service have been fine for me. Not even 1 problem!!!
bullardc

Postby NeilGunton » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:43 pm

I think what I signed up for had "UVerse" somewhere in the name. What's the difference between that and "regular" DSL?
NeilGunton

Postby nighthawk_md » Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:07 pm

I previously had 5 Mbps DSL (averaged 4.5 actually) and Netflix HD alone was fine. Doing much else besides browsing lite websites and checking email was slow. 10 Mbps (actual is like 8.5) recently became available so Netflix HD + other simultaneous activities is pretty nice. This is rural NC, so not sure if in a busier area service would be different (better infrastructure vs. more traffic). Uverse is the AT&T answer to Verizon FIOS, except that the fiber optics dont go all the way to your house, but just to your neighborhood.
nighthawk_md

Postby bullardc » Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:39 pm

nighthawk_md wrote:I previously had 5 Mbps DSL (averaged 4.5 actually) and Netflix HD alone was fine. Doing much else besides browsing lite websites and checking email was slow. 10 Mbps (actual is like 8.5) recently became available so Netflix HD + other simultaneous activities is pretty nice. This is rural NC, so not sure if in a busier area service would be different (better infrastructure vs. more traffic). Uverse is the AT&T answer to Verizon FIOS, except that the fiber optics dont go all the way to your house, but just to your neighborhood.

I live in very rural Georgia, and if you'll notice by my previous post I have no trouble streaming two players, 1 in HD the other in SD, and browse the Internet all at the same time on 6mb AT&T dsl.
bullardc

Postby dividebyzer0 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:29 pm

Works for me, no problems...
HD-XR model N1101 Firmware 3.1 Bld 1182
Linksys BEFSX41 <==> AT&T ADSL
Channel Master CM-7000 HDTV Tuner
27" RCA ColorTrak circa 1992. Scissors! ---8<-----
dividebyzer0

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion