Color and cable connection issues for newbie

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Color and cable connection issues for newbie

Postby Branden » Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:11 pm

Installed basic HD Roku with standard Philips set and composite cable (only one set of available inputs on TV gives me both audio and video; 2d set gives audio only, for some reason). Finally managed to get it set up and working with Netflix, but:
1) Color, tint, brightness, clarity, etc. has been off, on set that was giving me superb color, etc. before. Customer service only suggested using different set (only one in house); will upgrade when this one dies, but don't see point until then. I fixed it somewhat by using TV remote to change settings, but still not quite right, and worry I may have to fiddle around with this every time I move between Roku and other inputs (cable, DVD player). Suggestions?
2) I subscribe to Verizon FIOS for cable, broadband. With it still plugged in I could barely see Roku on-screen setup instructions, had to unplug the DVR through which I get the Verizon signal to the TV in order to set up Roku. Customer service claims I should not have to do that; their suggestion again is "get another TV." Plugging in DVR again after set-up still incurred interference. Alternatives?
Thanks in advance for your ideas.
Branden

Re: Color and cable connection issues for newbie

Postby djmenny » Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:10 pm

I have the same problem
My Rocu is XDS and video interference is my problem (color)
It was fine for one week...and then I lost the video qualety
I Call support and they told me it's your internet.
IT HAS TO DO NOTHING WITH INTERNET!, my problem is before I go to internet, before I stream videos, soon as ROKU logo starts the video is pinkish on the top screen and red-green is like stretched paint brush color. ( I resit, unplug, plug...still the same)

I did connect in the same cable the satellite, works fine
I change the hdmi cable, still problem when I plug Rocu

I try to connect it with other LCD or Plasma TV's... still the same!
This problem occurs only with HDMI connection, Works good with composite cables ( I did not try with component, don't have the adapter 3.5mm jack on the other end. ) I change the resolution settings on roku 1080, 720, all the same problems in hdmi.

I'm going to return it...
djmenny

Postby microlady » Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:12 pm

Branden

It might help if you described your exact connections setup. What is connected to what and what cables are you using?

I think your 2nd audio set might be to connect to stereo speakers.

As far as your Netflix connection.. you mention a DVR as well as getting cable and broadband.

Describe your connection setup for the Netflix. Maybe there can be a clue as to what is interfering with the color.
Original Roku 1, called N1000,bought 2008 (2014 still works perfectly)
2014 new owner of Roku 3500 (HDMI) streaming stick
microlady

Postby Leeladisky » Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:59 pm

Same problem here, occurred immediately after the firmware update on TWO brand new players... All connected to Denon 4308 receivers and HDMI. Display was fine prior to update, then immediately after update, ALL VIDEO is now PINKISH. The only video that displays normally is the Roku logo immediately after the player restarts itself. I have tried two different HDMI cables, different HDMI inputs on the receiver and direct connection to the TV. Same problem.

HELP!!!!!!
Leeladisky

Postby Branden » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:41 pm

My color problems seem much less than Leeladisky and djmenny have been having; less a matter of what sounds like smeared bands across whole sections of the screen than just the colors are off on the elements in the picture (e.g., faces a bit orange or bluish, grass a kind of fake green) and images not really sharp as they are when I'm just getting the feed direct from Fios or from my DVD player.

microlady, I'm out of town for a week, so can't give you detailed setup arrangements (other than what memory provides). My cable from Fios feeds into a DVR, which then feeds into the TV. I have a splitter which allows me to either feed the Fios signal or the DVD player signal into the TV, but that should have nothing to do with the problems (I was not using the DVD player during the Roku use). The Roku, of course, plugs directly into the TV. So when I was having the interference, this was when I had both the Roku and the cable from the DVR feeding into the TV, making (logically) for two signals coming in and thus interfering with each other. But there is no mention of this in the provided documentation, I didn't see anything about this in the commentary online that I read from users before I decided to try the Roku, and as I said in the initial post the Roku customer service person in India said I shouldn't be having interference from the Fios input.

Hope this helps, and sorry to hear others are having even worse problems. At least I am able to stream watchable (if odd looking) video from Netflix on my new machine!
Branden

Postby microlady » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:33 pm

Thank you for the setup explanation, Branden. When you say the Roku, of course, plugs into the TV, is that with composite video (yellow cable) and audio (red and white)?

From writing out what seem to be your setup, I did see you saying you had a splitter to feed either the FIOS OR the DVD Player to the TV.

Then I see you say you had BOTH the ROku and the DVR feeding into the TV.

I don't have a DVR but I do have analog cable and a number of DVDRecorder and VCRs attached in addition to my Roku.

It might be as simple as getting an audio/video selector switcher that has 3 inputs (FIOS, DVD player, Roku plugged into its composite connections) and 1 output that goes to the TV. Then you would have the choice of sending either the FIOS, the DVD player, OR the Roku to the TV. If you are watching one of these, you do not need the others having an open line to the TV at the same time. A matter of pushing a button corresponding to the right unit that you want to send to the TV. Maybe something like this.

Actually I use such a switch with 6 inputs and 2 outputs that connect my various units to the TV. My cable is on a splitter and goes directly to the TV as well as to each recorder but my recorders all are connected to the TV itself with composite video (or S-video) and RCA audio to my switcher and the switcher out to the TV. When I want to watch the Roku I simply push in the button that sends the Roku's output to my TV's audio/video jacks and watch it on the Audio-Video Input Selection on the TV. On my old 1995 RCA TV I watch it on a Channel 00, which is a special channel that particular TV had that shows you anything connected to its back a/v input jacks. It still amazes me how futuristic that 1995 set is as I can still use it with all the modern players. It has composite and S-video input jacks. My second output goes to a 32" LCD HDTV so I have a combination of both old and new TVs..until my 1995 goes kaput.

Does any of this sound like something you might try? I have written out a drawing of what you described as your setup. Maybe something else will dawn on me to suggest or getting into more exact your setup like... I assume your splitter is 1 GHz or higher,etc.

Talk to you when you get back.
Original Roku 1, called N1000,bought 2008 (2014 still works perfectly)
2014 new owner of Roku 3500 (HDMI) streaming stick
microlady

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion