[SOLVED] Roku XD and Netgear Wireless-N (WNR2000) problem

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

[SOLVED] Roku XD and Netgear Wireless-N (WNR2000) problem

Postby Craig123 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:13 am

Hi,

I bought a new Roku XD player, and when I tried to connect to my Netgear Wireless-N (WNR2000) router,
I could not get the Roku to connect to the wireless network.

The following would happen:
(1) Upon scan, I could see a list of available networks, and I could select my network SSID.

(2) When trying to connect to the wireless network, I would get "can't connect to your local network" error messages.

I fiddled for nearly 4 hours trying to get it to work, and stumbled across the following solution:

(1) Log into the Netgear Wireless-N (WNR2000) router ( http://192.168.1.1 ):

(2) Change these two Wireless Settings:
OLD SETTINGS WHICH DID NOT WORK
==================================
Channel: Auto
Mode: Up to 300 MBPS

NEW SETTINGS WHICH WORKED
====================================
Channel: 6
Mode: Up to 145 MBPS

*NOTHING* else worked, i.e. disabling firewall, etc.
I needed *BOTH* these settings changed at the same time, otherwise things would not work.

Can someone at Roku shed some light why this is a problem? I have managed to connect multiple laptops
and smart phones to my wireless network with the old settings on the Netgear, without problem.....only the Roku complained.

I have latest software/firmware on both the Roku XD and the Netgear router.

This was *very, very* difficult to debug, and I am an engineer who works in a networking company. For the average consumer, they will
most likely give up, and return the unit. With the upcoming holiday season, it would be nice
if Roku could fix the problem, because a lot of average consumers will want to buy the Roku players and just
plug them in and use them without problem.
Craig123

Re: [SOLVED] Roku XD and Netgear Wireless-N (WNR2000) proble

Postby jambandit7 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:19 am

Nice to see someone with their first post being a solution to a problem. 8) This is an issue that i believe roku should address (hopefully it is being looked at already) as many folks are having trouble with connecting wireless, and most users choose to go wireless rather than wired. I didnt have any problems with my set up initially....running two XD models in my home, but after three months use... one player dropped my wireless and could not get it to reconnect.

Factory reset the router, reconfigured my same set up as before and nothing. Last option i tried was setting security to none and the box connected. I could also use WEP but that is just the same as none IMO. I hate the fact my network is unsecured for no other reason than the problem with the roku. I will continue to work at it to try and find a solution....if i do i will post it back here. Thanks to the OP for your feedback...
Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. - Will Rogers
Roku2 XD- 3050X/HDMI/Composite Audio
Roku XD-Composite A/V
Roku XD-HDMI
jambandit7

Postby ab3 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:07 pm

Thank you so much! I've had problems for months with my new Roku XD giving horribly slow speeds and poor quality streaming via my Buffalo router (while my older non N roku has been working great with full HD). Nothing worked. Tried rebooting the router, sat on hold forever with Roku, they had me change DNS servers, hard reset the roku XD, and all the usual bs, but nothing fixed the problem. I happened across your post today. All I did was change my router channel to 6, and now like magic I'm getting perfect 4 dot hd streaming!

Thanks again! I have no idea why Roku XD likes channel 6 in order to get 4 dots and HD, but it does! This should be a sticky! You solved a problem that's been driving me crazy for a month that no one at ROKU has been able to help me with. I was about to return the ROKU XD until I saw your post and said what the heck, I've tried everything else, let's see if this works. It's a Festivus miracle! Thanks!

I'm curious if anyone knows why channel 6 is the sweet spot for optimal HD streaming on the Roku XD (remember, I've been getting full HD on my older non N Roku on a different channel for over a year). Thoughts?
ab3

Postby hn333 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:25 pm

ab3 wrote:Thank you so much! I've had problems for months with my new Roku XD giving horribly slow speeds and poor quality streaming via my Buffalo router (while my older non N roku has been working great with full HD). Nothing worked. Tried rebooting the router, sat on hold forever with Roku, they had me change DNS servers, hard reset the roku XD, and all the usual bs, but nothing fixed the problem. I happened across your post today. All I did was change my router channel to 6, and now like magic I'm getting perfect 4 dot hd streaming!

Thanks again! I have no idea why Roku XD likes channel 6 in order to get 4 dots and HD, but it does! This should be a sticky! You solved a problem that's been driving me crazy for a month that no one at ROKU has been able to help me with. I was about to return the ROKU XD until I saw your post and said what the heck, I've tried everything else, let's see if this works. It's a Festivus miracle! Thanks!

I'm curious if anyone knows why channel 6 is the sweet spot for optimal HD streaming on the Roku XD (remember, I've been getting full HD on my older non N Roku on a different channel for over a year). Thoughts?

I don't see why the channel should make any difference. The only thing I can say is maybe your getting interference on the the other channels. The main WiFi channels are 1, 6, and 11 btw. All the other channels are just subsets of those three main channels. It could also just be your router, Channel 6 is usually the default channel that routers are set to at the factory. You router may need firmware update.
hn333

Postby Craig123 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:18 pm

hn333,

My Netgear Wireless-N (WNR2000) router is fine. It has the latest firmware updates.
I have connected to the Netgear router via wireless with multiple laptops,
one Android smartphone, and one iPhone. Never had a problem.

I even used the Wifi Analyzer program on my Android phone to analyze the WIFI traffic and see if
there was any possible interference:
http://sites.google.com/site/farproc/wifi-analyzer

Only the Roku gave me a problem, and the only solution that worked was setting "Channel 6" and "< 145 MBPS".
Craig123

Postby ab3 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:55 pm

Same here, my router is fine. Firmware is already updated. It used to be set to channel 11 (which a spectrum analyzer indicated was the channel with the lowest interference from any other routers in the area). On channel 11, my year old G roku player got perfect 4 dot, HD streaming, while my newer N Roku XD got horrible 2 dot streaming and constant rebuffering.

I switched to channel 6 per your advice (even though that channel is very crowded compared to the channel 11 that it used to be on), and now my Roku XD gets perfect 4 dot streaming with HD. My older Roku gets 4 dot streaming on Channel 6 as well.

Don't know why my older G roku player works great both on channel 11 and 6, while the N Roku XD only works on channel 6 at top quality. Channel 6 in my neighborhood is extremely crowded, while channel 11 hardly has anything in it. Oh well, I'm just happy I can enjoy my Roku XD finally. Thanks again.
ab3

Postby k37744 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:44 pm

craig123,

I owe you at least a case of beer. I was ready to throw my Roku XD out the window because of spotty wireless performance until I read your post. I have a Netgear wgr614v10 and just purchased the Roku a few weeks ago. I upgraded my internet service TWICE through AT&T and finally settled on their fastest package..thinking this would solve my Roku wireless problems. Not so. I was absolutely at my wits end and either going to duct tape network cable around to every tv in my house or just return the <Force equals mass times acceleration> thing. I set the router to Channel 6 and voila.....4 dots, lightning fast...and beer for craig123. Thank you SO much for posting your solution. Roku should give you mad props. I'm keeping my Roku...for now.

k37744
k37744

Postby tjcramer » Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:25 pm

Craig123. Between you and one other post I FINALLY got up and running. Thank you google for getting me to this post in the first place. My problem was slightly different so its worth posting a follow up. I have the WNR2000v2, and upgraded to firmware version V1.0.0.40_32.0.54NA. Was at V1.0.0.34 when I started... I was using WPA-PSK [TKIP] for some reason, maybe the tech set it up that way... and when I upgraded it let me know that it can only do Wireless G with WPA, so I switched to WPA2-PSK [AES]. note that NEITHER of these got me to connect using the trick of Channel 6 and "up to 145mbps". So there was another post that suggested channel 11 works. I tried that and finally connected. I'm still at "up to 145mpbs" also, haven't tried any other combination. Streaming video at 4 dots!
tjcramer

Postby judytm » Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:06 pm

Thank you, Craig123!! I'd spent about six hours over the past few days trying to get help from Roku techs, but none could solve the Roku-Netgear wireless connection problem. After reading your post today, I set the channel to 6 and the mode to 65 (the highest option that was 145 or below), and it worked--I nearly fell out of my chair! Thank you so much.
judytm

Postby Colly » Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:49 pm

For users with Netgear WNDR3300 and Roku 2 XS:
This works for me:

I also had wireless networking problems and managed to figure them out after reading the other posts in this forum and my router's manual.
I have a "NETGEAR RangeMax Dual Band Wireless-N Router WNDR3300 Wireless router - 4-port switch (integrated) - EN, Fast EN, IEEE 802.11b, IEEE 802.11a, IEEE 802.11g, IEEE 802.11n (draft 2.0)"
and a Roku 2 XS that I just bought this week at Best Buy.

I could not get the Roku to see my router using wireless-N until I found that my router can NOT do B/G at the same time as N (but it doesn't gray out the wireless-N to clue you in on this.)
My router has 4 mode settings with speeds of up to
(1) 270Mbps @ 2.4GHz
(2) 270Mbps @ 5GHZ & 54Mbps @ 2.4GHz
(3) 130Mbps @ 2.4GHz
(4) 130Mbps @ 5GHZ & 54Mbps @ 2.4GHz
On the Netgear WNDR3300, ONLY the options that do NOT specify 5GHz enable the wireless N (which uses BOTH channels.)
I am using Mode: 270Mbps @ 2.4GHz which I later noticed on the Router Status page shows the "11N SSID" set to 11(P)+7(S) and the "11G SSID" set to -- (i.e. disabled)
With SSID broadcast enabled, I could now see my 11N SSID and the SSID for the B/G was gone (as expected now). This was good, as I wanted the wireless N enabled because it's faster and also my laptop uses wireless N.
I have also re-enabled encryption and am using WPA2- (AES) as suggested in another post above.

Summary:
Netgear WNDR3300 and Roku 2 XS working on wireless N settings with
Mode: "Up to 270Mbps @ 2.4GHz" <<< With this setting, or any single-speed mode setting, only Wireless-N is enabled. With any dual-speed mode setting, only B/G are enabled and N will be disabled.
11N SSID set to (channel) "11/2.462GHz"
Security encryption set to "WPA2-PSK [AES]" with a nice long PASSPHRASE. Mine is 15 characters long and include a nice mix of stuff.

Extras:
I have also set my administrator login to a non-default name and a new password.
I have also set both my SSID's to non-default names. "Why?" you may ask, since I broadcast them. Well, if a neighbor has the same model router, you don't want your SSID to match his, do you?
I have also used the backup option to backup my router configuration in a saved CFG file.
I have also set up the Roku's MAC ID in my Wireless Card Access List under the Netgear's Advanced Wireless Settings (though I don't have this enabled at the moment.)
Colly

Postby elorimer » Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:01 am

A few things that might be helpful, but I'm no expert and welcome someone coming in and correcting me.

Wireless-N only allows WPA2(AES) and none as security settings. Anything else is against the spec.
Any B/G device connected pulls everything down to G speed for compatibility.
To get 300mbps takes two channels offset by 20mhz, so if 6 is your main channel the other will be 2 or 10. The main channel is used for B/G devices. If there is any device operating on the other channel, N drops back to the main channel only. In addition some devices will not do 2 channels in the 2.4ghz band because it messes up other networks.

The 5ghz band is less busy than the 2.4ghz band, which is why two channels are easier to setup. But in the 2.4ghz band, if there are other devices around two channels can be difficult to setup. Channels 1, 6 and 11 are non-overlapping. For 2 channels, only 5, 6 and 7 give you the ability to have either a lower or higher auxiliary channel. But 5 and 7 will overlap on one side or the other with more channels, so 6 is the least interfering choice.

I'm not familiar with the WNR2000 router, but I'm assuming setting this 145mbps speed is the same as setting a single channel and you are seeing better performance because there is some other device in the neighborhood.
elorimer

Postby tannenba » Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:28 pm

hn333 wrote:
ab3 wrote:Thank you so much! I've had problems for months with my new Roku XD giving horribly slow speeds and poor quality streaming via my Buffalo router (while my older non N roku has been working great with full HD). Nothing worked. Tried rebooting the router, sat on hold forever with Roku, they had me change DNS servers, hard reset the roku XD, and all the usual bs, but nothing fixed the problem. I happened across your post today. All I did was change my router channel to 6, and now like magic I'm getting perfect 4 dot hd streaming!

I don't see why the channel should make any difference. The only thing I can say is maybe your getting interference on the the other channels. The main WiFi channels are 1, 6, and 11 btw. All the other channels are just subsets of those three main channels. It could also just be your router, Channel 6 is usually the default channel that routers are set to at the factory. You router may need firmware update.

Wow! Even after 'talking' to their tech support, I had connection problems. Couldn't go to all "N" because my printer is a "G". I have a DLINK DIR-655 and going to chan 6 and auto, I got 4 dots and a HD on AMAZON instant movies.

thank you.
tannenba

Postby lmdean » Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:45 pm

Craig123 - I too, owe you a case of beer and a pizza. I have spent the past 3 days trying to fix this issue, and even resorted to replacing the router. I tried EVERYTHING suggested everywhere else, but this worked. Thank you!
lmdean

Postby GeorgeMD » Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:42 pm

WOW!! Been having connection problems for weeks. Defaulting my Roku did not fix the issue. A week ago I did a google search for "Roku rebooting and crashing" still no luck. Today I google "Roku wireless problems" and this pops up. I changed my AT&T 2Wire router channel to 6 and BINGO! It connects super fast, streams fast, and best of all STAYS CONNECTED!!! Don't know how you figured it out but YOU DA MAN!!
GeorgeMD

Postby wangelala » Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:33 pm

Thank you for this solve! Switching to Channel 6 also worked for my Netgear WNDR3400v3 router. After 1/2 hour on the phone with technical support, I just happened to stumble upon this posting and tried it. Presto! This solve needs to get logged on the hotline. Resetting the Roku box was the only suggestion I received through that option.
wangelala

Next

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion