Playing .avi, .mkv, etc. files on Roku XD/S

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Playing .avi, .mkv, etc. files on Roku XD/S

Postby ncincy1 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:07 pm

I recently installed the USB channel on my new Roku XD/S. I can play most audio files but the unit will not recognize and/or play most of my video files such as .avi, .mkv, .wmv, etc. Do i need to wait for the "official" launch of the USB channel in the Roku Channel Store or is there anything I can do now to play these files? Note: I can't convert the orginal files to mpeg4 video files so not really sure what to do. Please help ....and thanks.
ncincy1

Re: Playing .avi, .mkv, etc. files on Roku XD/S

Postby kumasuki » Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:14 pm

You can try using the PlayOn channel, if you have a computer running the PlayOn software to act as a server which will do the transcoding on the fly.
--------------------------------------
Roku XDS; DSM-520; HDX1000 w/1TB drive; Neuros; Hauppauge 1212 HD-PVR; HDHomeRun; Vudu; VuNow HD; Boxee Box
kumasuki

Postby kc8pql » Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:40 pm

ncincy1 wrote:...the unit will not recognize and/or play most of my video files such as .avi, .mkv, .wmv, etc. Do i need to wait for the "official" launch of the USB channel in the Roku Channel Store...

If you wait for the official USB channel you're likely to be disappointed. These are the only file types they've announced USB support for:
Other Ports

* USB 2.0 port (enabled via free software upgrade expected Dec 2010). Video support: MP4, M4V (H.264). Audio support: MP3, AAC, M4A. Image support: JPG, PNG
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
OTA Antenna, "Netflix Player" N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R
kc8pql
** Valued Community Member **

Postby dynamitemedia » Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:09 pm

I wrote up a tutorial over here that may help you i use avidemux on my avi and most flv and since i havent much experience with .mkv i am not sure but it also can be a proper .h264 file all you need to do is remux it and it takes minutes and then it should play in all your apple devices as well

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=34454&start=0#p222551
Twitter: iptvmyway facebook: iptvmyay
Channels: Warriors of War, Go Fight Live, Heading Outdoorz, IPTVmyway
dynamitemedia

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion