Roku XDS - USB drive available to other network devices?

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

Roku XDS - USB drive available to other network devices?

Postby Redflea » Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:41 pm

On an XDS, if you have a USB drive connected is that drive only available to the Roku, or is it also available to other devices on the network?

Wondering if I connect a spare 500GB drive, can I move new files to it from my NAS drive while the USB drive is connected to the roku...
Redflea

Re: Roku XDS - USB drive available to other network devices?

Postby kumasuki » Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:44 pm

At present the Roku is the only device aware of something attached to it via USB (it doesn't have file server protocols).
--------------------------------------
Roku XDS; DSM-520; HDX1000 w/1TB drive; Neuros; Hauppauge 1212 HD-PVR; HDHomeRun; Vudu; VuNow HD; Boxee Box
kumasuki

Postby rnd » Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:41 am

Is there such a thing as a Network drive (nas) that can also be mounted locally by a USB device? So that a network could be used to move files to the drive and played by the Roku?
rnd

Postby mikebdoss » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:15 am

rnd wrote:Is there such a thing as a Network drive (nas) that can also be mounted locally by a USB device? So that a network could be used to move files to the drive and played by the Roku?

This is exactly what I'm looking for.
mikebdoss
** Valued Community Member **

Postby rilex » Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:15 am

No.

The hardware containing the USB drive would have to be running an OS (to make it available to other devices) and it is also complicated by needing to have a cluster-aware file system (because you're attempting to mount the drive by multiple OSes).
rilex

Postby kumasuki » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:59 pm

rnd wrote:Is there such a thing as a Network drive (nas) that can also be mounted locally by a USB device? So that a network could be used to move files to the drive and played by the Roku?

This absolutely is possible! Iomega has a great new device called an iConnect Data Station. It is a wired(gigabyte) or wireless NAS with 4 USB ports (that can also be used to share a printer) - USB drives of any kind can be used but must be formatted as FAT, FAT32, or NTFS. All of these formats are compatible with the Roku USB media channel - so, all you need do is plug your USB drive into the iConnect, load up files, unplug it and then plug it into the Roku. Amazon has the iConnect for under $75 :!:
Roku XDS; DSM-520; HDX1000 w/1TB drive; Neuros; Hauppauge 1212 HD-PVR; HDHomeRun; Vudu; VuNow HD; Boxee Box
kumasuki

Postby rilex » Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:17 pm

That isn't what is being asked, though. The OP wants a device that can be connected, simultaneously, to both the Roku and serve up files over the LAN.

FAT and FAT32 are definitely not cluster-aware. NTFS isn't directly cluster-aware, either.
rilex

Postby kumasuki » Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:25 pm

rilex wrote:That isn't what is being asked, though. The OP wants a device that can be connected, simultaneously, to both the Roku and serve up files over the LAN.

I didn't respond to the OP. So, I guess it depends on what poster Rnd means by 'locally mounted USB drives' - which I took to mean a NAS with USB ports that accept a USB drive whose format is compatible with the Rolu so the USB drive could be 'mounted locally' in either the NAS or the Roku.
kumasuki

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion