How To Boost Wireless Quality and Signal

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

How To Boost Wireless Quality and Signal

Postby gregbert7789 » Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:41 pm

I recently bought a Roku XDS, and it is connected to my wireless network. I activated debugging so I could see the speed of the connection the Roku is recieving. I'm only getting 0.9-1.5mbps, which translates to 2-3 dots of video quality.
I'm running Cox High Speed Cable, and I ran a speed test on a wired desktop computer, and it said my download speed was 26.9mbps. I'm assuming the probem is my wireless router, since the wired connection is running way faster than the roku is recieving. I'm currently using a Wireless-G router, cisco WRT54G2. The roku is about 20' away from the router, with 1 wall in between.

How can I boost my download speeds and video quality wirelessly for the Roku?

I was thinking of updating my router, should I get a standard wireless-N router? Or should I spring for the Dual band wireless-N router, since I have the XDS and it supports dual band N? Will it make much of a difference? If so, any recommendations for specific routers that you're using?
Or, are there wireless settings that I should change with my current router to improve the speed?

Thanks!!
gregbert7789

Re: How To Boost Wireless Quality and Signal

Postby jackstrat » Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:17 pm

gregbert7789 wrote:I
How can I boost my download speeds and video quality wirelessly for the Roku?

I was thinking of updating my router, should I get a standard wireless-N router? Or should I spring for the Dual band wireless-N router, since I have the XDS and it supports dual band N? Will it make much of a difference? If so, any recommendations for specific routers that you're using?
Or, are there wireless settings that I should change with my current router to improve the speed?

Thanks!!

I just replaced my old router with an inexpensive Netgear unit that supports "N" broadband and even with a 1.4 Mbs avg speed, I stream at the ROKU with 3-4 dots.

Jack
jackstrat

Re: How To Boost Wireless Quality and Signal

Postby jhernes » Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:38 pm

If you have XD's there's no reason not to upgrade to dual band wireless router....that's one of the beauty of your player you might as well use that functionality. Must be nice checking email, browsing Internet to multiple computers using 2.4GHz....while simultaneously streaming HD movies and other media on the 5GHz band. The only question w/c router and does it work?
ROKU MODEL: N1000 - Decommissioned, HD 2000C-00 - Decommissioned, XS 3100R - Visio 50, R3 4200R - Samsung LN55
jhernes

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion