Won't Play Anything

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

Won't Play Anything

Postby JeanieT » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:24 am

I know there are a thousand posts regarding this type of issue, but trying to read through them and see what anyone has done to actually get anything to play is difficult...so, sorry to repeat this.

I had problems getting my Roku even set up - but have finally, after many frustrating conversations with Customer Support and several very helpful posts and pms on this forum I was able to get it set up - and have all my channels show up on my home page.

The problem I am still having, though is to get anything to play. I go into either Amazon VOD library or Netflix and when I click on a show it starts retrieving data but never completes and pops out to the prior window...then if I click on the movie again too quickly I get an unable to connect message...if I wait a couple seconds, I no longer get the unable to connect message, but it still does not complete retrieving data.

I am not an overly technically savvy person...though I have no fear in attempting something if someone in the no explains it to me. That being said I have found lots of discussion regarding pinging and tracing, etc...when I was unable to find the channel store, I did ping the adress someone suggested...and there was no problem there. So, if pinging something or tracing routes would help find the issue, I can do that - if someone explains it.

I have seen some people say the speed of their internet was a problem - I only have a speed of 2.5...but the last person I spoke to on here said they only have 2.5 and have had no problems....when it is retrieving the streams it usually shows 3 dots...occasionally 2....before it stops attempting to retrieve. I can check into getting higher speed internet - but don't know at what point I'm spending a ridiculous amount of money on a monthly basis to sit on my butt and watch tv or look up someting on wikipedia or buy something on Amazon - since that is about all I do on my internet....and, others say increasing their speed did nothing - so I don't want to increase it if it won't help.

I have set my router to use Open Source DNS...I am using channel 11 on my wireless....I have seen some people talk about having certain ports "open" and have seen discussion of enabling DHCP......but, I don't understand how to do either of those, or if I should.

Any help anyone can give me would be appreciated.

thanks,

Jeanie

I have turn
JeanieT

Re: Won't Play Anything

Postby mikebdoss » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:33 am

Have you tried a wired connection (even if it's temporary)? To me, your problem sounds like wireless interference. Either way, it would help narrow down what the problem is.
mikebdoss
** Valued Community Member **

Postby stratcat96 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:35 am

JeanieT wrote:I know there are a thousand posts regarding this type of issue, but trying to read through them and see what anyone has done to actually get anything to play is difficult...so, sorry to repeat this.

I had problems getting my Roku even set up - but have finally, after many frustrating conversations with Customer Support and several very helpful posts and pms on this forum I was able to get it set up - and have all my channels show up on my home page.

The problem I am still having, though is to get anything to play. I go into either Amazon VOD library or Netflix and when I click on a show it starts retrieving data but never completes and pops out to the prior window...then if I click on the movie again too quickly I get an unable to connect message...if I wait a couple seconds, I no longer get the unable to connect message, but it still does not complete retrieving data.

I am not an overly technically savvy person...though I have no fear in attempting something if someone in the no explains it to me. That being said I have found lots of discussion regarding pinging and tracing, etc...when I was unable to find the channel store, I did ping the adress someone suggested...and there was no problem there. So, if pinging something or tracing routes would help find the issue, I can do that - if someone explains it.

I have seen some people say the speed of their internet was a problem - I only have a speed of 2.5...but the last person I spoke to on here said they only have 2.5 and have had no problems....when it is retrieving the streams it usually shows 3 dots...occasionally 2....before it stops attempting to retrieve. I can check into getting higher speed internet - but don't know at what point I'm spending a ridiculous amount of money on a monthly basis to sit on my butt and watch tv or look up someting on wikipedia or buy something on Amazon - since that is about all I do on my internet....and, others say increasing their speed did nothing - so I don't want to increase it if it won't help.

I have set my router to use Open Source DNS...I am using channel 11 on my wireless....I have seen some people talk about having certain ports "open" and have seen discussion of enabling DHCP......but, I don't understand how to do either of those, or if I should.

Any help anyone can give me would be appreciated.

thanks,

Jeanie

I have turn

I apologize that I really don't have any ideas to solve your problem, but I only have 1.5mbs of conection from my isp and never have connection issues. I would rule out your internet speed that you pay for right away. Whether you are getting that is different story altogether. Have you tried running a speedtest by going to speedtest.net with a computer? Good luck :)
stratcat96

Postby kumasuki » Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:14 pm

mikebdoss wrote:Have you tried a wired connection (even if it's temporary)? To me, your problem sounds like wireless interference. Either way, it would help narrow down what the problem is.

+1 mikebdoss is right - there are 2 primary bottleneck points: 1) external Internet transmission into your router; and 2) internal data transmission from your router to your devices. So temporarily eliminating the Wifi (by going wired to the router) can help determine if the issue is internal or external. Also DHCP is already enabled on your router - the Roku can only receive an IP address via DHCP so it wouldn't be functioning at all if DHCP were not running on the router.
--------------------------------------
Roku XDS; DSM-520; HDX1000 w/1TB drive; Neuros; Hauppauge 1212 HD-PVR; HDHomeRun; Vudu; VuNow HD; Boxee Box
kumasuki

Postby JeanieT » Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:20 pm

Thanks, I am at work right now, but will try getting a movie with the router plugged directly into the Roku when I get home tonight.

Jeanie
JeanieT

Postby JeanieT » Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:31 pm

Oh - one question, when I do the speed test what should it show? I did one a while ago and it showed 1.5 one direction and 1.6 the other direction?
JeanieT

Postby stratcat96 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:35 pm

JeanieT wrote:Oh - one question, when I do the speed test what should it show? I did one a while ago and it showed 1.5 one direction and 1.6 the other direction?

its not ypical that you will gat approximately the same speed up as down, usually the upload speed is lower.. But what that is doing is gauging the speed you *get* as aposed what you pay for.. You pay for 2.5 down and are seeing 1.5 down.. It could be network congestion at that time of day, or there could be something stopping up traffic somewhere. Was that computer wired to the router or wireless?
stratcat96

Postby JeanieT » Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:09 pm

stratcat96 wrote:
JeanieT wrote:Oh - one question, when I do the speed test what should it show? I did one a while ago and it showed 1.5 one direction and 1.6 the other direction?

its not ypical that you will gat approximately the same speed up as down, usually the upload speed is lower.. But what that is doing is gauging the speed you *get* as aposed what you pay for.. You pay for 2.5 down and are seeing 1.5 down.. It could be network congestion at that time of day, or there could be something stopping up traffic somewhere. Was that computer wired to the router or wireless?

Can't remember for sure - I will check it again when I get home tonight.

thx!
JeanieT

Postby JeanieT » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:56 pm

OK....I hooked the router to the roku with the cable....I can play everything - Netflix, Amazon VOD, YouTube, etc.

I did a speed test and it shows 1.52 download and 1.35 upload....

So, sorry to be ignorant, but what does that mean now?

thx!

Jeanie
JeanieT

Postby stratcat96 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:09 pm

JeanieT wrote:OK....I hooked the router to the roku with the cable....I can play everything - Netflix, Amazon VOD, YouTube, etc.

I did a speed test and it shows 1.52 download and 1.35 upload....

So, sorry to be ignorant, but what does that mean now?

thx!

Jeanie

it means that over wireless there is either a problem with the reception your are getting from the router, possibly interference, or particular settings in your router are interfering. What's the model of your router, how far is it from the roku, are there other deviceson the wireless network?
stratcat96

Postby kumasuki » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:10 pm

JeanieT wrote:OK....I hooked the router to the roku with the cable....I can play everything - Netflix, Amazon VOD, YouTube, etc.
what does that mean now?

If everything plays properly with the Roku wired to the router then the bottleneck is not coming externally from the Internet - therefore, something about how your router is configured is likely the culprit. One thing you can try with an E2000 router is prioritizing your IP traffic. Page 33 of your router's manual discusses how to prioritize your IP traffic by MAC address - just enter the MAC identifier from the underside of the Roku and select a priority level.
Roku XDS; DSM-520; HDX1000 w/1TB drive; Neuros; Hauppauge 1212 HD-PVR; HDHomeRun; Vudu; VuNow HD; Boxee Box
kumasuki

Postby JeanieT » Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:53 pm

Thanks, so much...I put the MAC address in and gave it high priority....I am able to open and play Netflix fine, but my Amazon VOD starts and then pops out and I get a message saying the title is temporary unavailable. Is this an issue with my settings, still, or is it a temporary issue? It does say to contact Amazon.com customer support, which I will do if no one has any suggestions. I did watch several Modern Family episodes on Amazon last night while it was hooked up via the router....the one I tried today was one I had watched last night, just to make sure I was testing the same thing. It showed a quality of 3 dots.

Thanks again for you help so far!

Jeanie
JeanieT

Postby kumasuki » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:11 pm

Despite the fact that OpenDNS has appeared to be an improvement over your default ISP DNS, it may not necessarily be the best DNS in your situation. So you might want to download and run NameBench to see what it determines to be the best DNS for your location. (You needn't change any settings in NameBench, just install it and run it - refrain from using the internet while it is running).
kumasuki

Postby JeanieT » Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:48 pm

I did that and it suggested the following:

And now it won't even open Netflix says retrieving data and then goes back to home screen....it opens Amazon VOD but when I try to open an episode it only has one dot and starts loading and then pops back to the prior screen....
JeanieT

Postby kumasuki » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:01 pm

There's likely more than one factor at play here - since you've gone from nothing working to somethings working to nothing working and back again! When the Roku was wired to the router everything worked and I think you had either your ISP DNS or OpenDNS - so you may be better off keeping one of those after all (NameBench is not necessarily a perfect predictor). That points the troubleshooting back to the wireless settings on your router. Some things to try are:
-NOT using auto-channel (select a specific channel - preferably a primary one like 1, 6, or 11)
-NOT using mix-mode (select wireless-G only or wireless-B only)
-NOT using auto channel width (select 20MHz only)
Changing these settings is discussed on pp22-23 of your router's user manual.

P.S. - when changing something like DNS it's a good idea to power cycle everything (modem-router-Roku) to make sure that all these devices are in sync - not sure if you did that when trying the DNS recommendations from NameBench.
kumasuki

Next

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion