Roku keeps re buffering

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

Re: Roku keeps re buffering

Postby jbrave » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:50 am

Does it rebuffer if you bypass the linksys router and connect straight to your DSL line?

- Joel
Screenshades: The first Screensaver for Roku2!
Musiclouds: The best free internet music, on your Roku!
Ouroborialis: Psychedelic Screensaver for Roku!
jbrave

Postby Solar » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:03 pm

I bypassed the router and it didn't re-buffer.Was able to watch two movies without interruption. Hooked up the router and it was back to not loading the movie and re buffering.
What does this mean?
Solar

Postby kumasuki » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:06 pm

Solar wrote:I bypassed the router and it didn't re-buffer.Was able to watch two movies without interruption. Hooked up the router and it was back to not loading the movie and re buffering. What does this mean?

Connecting directly to the modem means that the Roku had to be using your ISP's default DNS settings (which are unlikely to be OpenDNS) - so you may want to have your router also using the ISP DNS settings.
Alternatively, you might want to download and run NameBench to see what it determines to be the best DNS for your location. (You needn't change any settings in NameBench, just install it and run it - refrain from using the internet while it is running). After entering the DNS recommendations from NameBench make sure you power-cycle everything (modem/router/Roku).
--------------------------------------
Roku XDS; DSM-520; HDX1000 w/1TB drive; Neuros; Hauppauge 1212 HD-PVR; HDHomeRun; Vudu; VuNow HD; Boxee Box
kumasuki

Postby Solar » Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:40 am

I did the name bench. How about the setting for debugging, is this only for test purposes or do I shut this off.
Solar

Postby vmps » Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:41 am

kumasuki wrote:
Solar wrote:I bypassed the router and it didn't re-buffer.Was able to watch two movies without interruption. Hooked up the router and it was back to not loading the movie and re buffering. What does this mean?

Connecting directly to the modem means that the Roku had to be using your ISP's default DNS settings (which are unlikely to be OpenDNS) - so you may want to have your router also using the ISP DNS settings.
Alternatively, you might want to download and run NameBench to see what it determines to be the best DNS for your location. (You needn't change any settings in NameBench, just install it and run it - refrain from using the internet while it is running). After entering the DNS recommendations from NameBench make sure you power-cycle everything (modem/router/Roku).

You're better off with simply experimenting, as namebench only measures how quickly a DNS server returns a result and does nothing to evaluate the quality of the results returned.
vmps

Postby kc8pql » Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:40 am

Solar wrote: How about the setting for debugging, is this only for test purposes or do I shut this off.

It's up to you. I leave it on just because I like to know what's going on with my fairly slow connection. If you
have really fast service there isn't much point, because your going to get the fastest streams all the time anyway.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
OTA Antenna, "Netflix Player" N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R
kc8pql
** Valued Community Member **

Postby Solar » Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:35 pm

I want to thank you all that replied. I'm all set for now, I will keep trying things but you have helped me a great deal.
These Forums are great. Keep up the great work.
Solar

Postby Marcomike » Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:06 am

the WRT54G is a G speed router I suggest upgrading to a N router with over 150 mbps that should help the re buffering issuses
Marcomike

Postby kc8pql » Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:34 am

Given that the fastest stream available from any of the content providers is less than 4Mbps average bitrate, I doubt that will do much. Even a B router is more than fast enough to keep up.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
OTA Antenna, "Netflix Player" N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R
kc8pql
** Valued Community Member **

Postby vmps » Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:36 am

Marcomike wrote:the WRT54G is a G speed router I suggest upgrading to a N router with over 150 mbps that should help the re buffering issuses

Changing from G to N is unlikely to make any difference at all unless you're on the ragged edge of a distance limitation or are experiencing interference. Either one is far faster than needed to maintain a decent stream, and far faster than any internet connection most people are going to have in their house.
vmps

Postby Solar » Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:32 am

Came home the other day to find my router down. Thought I had to get a new one.I couldn't get to the set up page for the router. Took a while but got a suggestion to hold the reset down while unplugging and replugging the power, which got me back to square one. Had to set up the router again. It is back working . Plugged the roku back in and now it is ok. No more re buffering. Good to go for now.
Solar

Postby prosete » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:33 pm

I have an original model, bought in Nov 2008. I've had problems with re-buffering from day one. Also using DNS. Have wired it and ran it wifi. I subscribe to a 10Mbps download speed package and it seems to run very well with my PC. But, whenever I attempt to download a movie from Netflix, my debugging screen shows a variety of initial download speeds anytime of the day or night, often causing the re-buffering. I can download movie A and the screen might show the initial connect bandwidth as a "10.0Mbps system." Then the next minute I can download movie B and it might show it as a "3.5Mbps system." The initial speed 'hit' will fluctuate up and down endlessly. I usually stop watching Netflix when this happens. I'm used to it by now, over 2 years later, since I haven't found a fix yet.

prosete

Postby Solar » Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:47 pm

Not as bad as before but roku is re buffering when plugged into router. I by pass the router to get a movie with out interruption. The re bugging is like what the last person said was happening with his, when plugged into the router. When plugged into the modem,it only shows at the beginning of the movie and usually says it is down loading at 1.5mbps on my internet connection of 2.6mbps.
Solar

Previous

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion