Cannot get new Roku to work

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Cannot get new Roku to work

Postby dunky » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:13 pm

Hello everyone,

I recently purchased a Roku XD after owning a previous roku model for a while now, and I cannot get this one to connect to my internet and stay connected.

After reseting my router, I got it to hook up to the internet and update, but after it restarted I cannot get it to connect to my local wireless network or connect to the internet. I tried disabling my firewall with no luck. It took me about 5 minutes to set up my previous roku, but this one still isn't working despite me trying to get it to work for the last 2 hours. My other roku box is working fine on the current network settings.

Does anyone have any tips to help me get this thing going or did I get a defective one? I'm not extremely tech-savvy, so if you could give any help in layman's terms it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
dunky

Re: Cannot get new Roku to work

Postby kumasuki » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:18 pm

The make/model of the router would be helpful. You should also try wiring the Roku directly to the router - this should allow it to finish the initial setup (if that process is still unfinished) and enable you to test a channel or two. Then try switching back to wireless mode - if connecting wirelessly is still a problem then at least you'll have narrowed the issue down to something involving the wireless settings of the router (despite the fact that the 'older' Roku works OK).
--------------------------------------
Roku XDS; DSM-520; HDX1000 w/1TB drive; Neuros; Hauppauge 1212 HD-PVR; HDHomeRun; Vudu; VuNow HD; Boxee Box
kumasuki

Postby dunky » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:22 pm

Router is a Linksys Wireless-N Home Router, model number: WRT120N.

I will try hooking it up to another tv that is closer to the router, and connecting it via wire to see if that will help.
dunky

Postby dunky » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:46 pm

I moved it to a TV that is right next to the router and it worked fine wirelessly and allowed me to hook my roku to my account and to netflix, but as soon as I moved it back to my bedroom it will not work. It gives me the "cannot connect to your local network"

How far away can a Roku XD be from a router? I was wanting this one for my bedroom, which is approximately 15' away from the router through one wall. I haven't had any issues with any of my other electronics (Macbook, Asus Netbook, iPod) getting a wireless signal at the same distance and they always have as many bars as are available.

I'm not sure if it matters, but my internet speeds are approximately 25 MB/sec download and 5 MB/sec upload in my bedroom using my Macbook.
dunky

Postby stratcat96 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:15 pm

dunky wrote:I moved it to a TV that is right next to the router and it worked fine wirelessly and allowed me to hook my roku to my account and to netflix, but as soon as I moved it back to my bedroom it will not work. It gives me the "cannot connect to your local network"

How far away can a Roku XD be from a router? I was wanting this one for my bedroom, which is approximately 15' away from the router through one wall. I haven't had any issues with any of my other electronics (Macbook, Asus Netbook, iPod) getting a wireless signal at the same distance and they always have as many bars as are available.

I'm not sure if it matters, but my internet speeds are approximately 25 MB/sec download and 5 MB/sec upload in my bedroom using my Macbook.

15 feet for a wireless signal should be no problem. To troubleshoot because you are likely getting some interference, try shuttng off the other items that are connected, or even moving the device around away from other electronics
stratcat96
** Valued Community Member **

Postby dunky » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:28 pm

I shut everything else off and tried moving around the box, I could only get it to work if I held it in the doorway and pointed it directly at the router. After that, I tried switching to the RCA inputs and it actually works that way, but the picture quality leaves a whole lot to be desired. I don't understand why it would make any difference between the RCA and the HDMI.

Should I just send it back? Maybe upgrade to the XDS? I'm extremely frustrated with this at the moment.
dunky

Postby mkiker2089 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:29 pm

Can't "connect" is different from can't "find". Where exactly is it failing? From what you've said it sounds like it's finding and doing the initial connection but fails at the point where it gets an IP. Why distance would affect this is beyond me but it's a starting point. Changing the wireless channel may help if it's interference. I also suspect a flaw in the Roku that makes it less able to deal with dynamic channels since tech has recently added the "channel 6" mantra to their scripts. This is new and is strangely more prevalent on boxes outputting 720p than either SD oe ED.

You last post points directly to the channel 6 flaw. try channel 6 and get back to use before anything else.
-Marshall-

Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv.
I know nothing, I see nothing, I wasn't there,
and if I was there, I was asleep.
mkiker2089

Postby mkiker2089 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:31 pm

Just to add that the RCA forces it to output SD where as with HDMI you probably set it to 720p. That's a known software bug. Hopefully channel 6 will fix it.
-Marshall-

mkiker2089

Postby dunky » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:36 pm

mkiker2089 wrote:Can't "connect" is different from can't "find". Where exactly is it failing? From what you've said it sounds like it's finding and doing the initial connection but fails at the point where it gets an IP. Why distance would affect this is beyond me but it's a starting point. Changing the wireless channel may help if it's interference. I also suspect a flaw in the Roku that makes it less able to deal with dynamic channels since tech has recently added the "channel 6" mantra to their scripts. This is new and is strangely more prevalent on boxes outputting 720p than either SD oe ED.

You last post points directly to the channel 6 flaw. try channel 6 and get back to use before anything else.

It shows the wireless signal with all of the "bars" when I try to connect to it, it will connect to the wireless but then fail to connect to the network and the internet. How do you change the wireless channel? What is Channel 6?
dunky

Postby kumasuki » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:48 pm

mkiker2089 wrote:Just to add that the RCA forces it to output SD where as with HDMI you probably set it to 720p. That's a known software bug. Hopefully channel 6 will fix it.

To date the possible "bug" referred to here has resulted in some Rokus with the most recent firmware being unable to find the local network wirelessly when the display is set for HD - in these cases if the display is changed to SD, the box is able to connect wirelessly again. I have not seen reported a case where the box would connect wirelessly again simply by using the RCA outputs (but keeping the display set for HD) - but I don't know that the possibility has specifically been ruled out either. The most effective workaround has been to switch to wifi channel 6 (as suggested). If using wifi channel 6 is undesirable, a user has recently posted successfully getting around the issue by changing the Roku display to 1080p (which has no adverse consequences even if you only have a 720p TV).
Roku XDS; DSM-520; HDX1000 w/1TB drive; Neuros; Hauppauge 1212 HD-PVR; HDHomeRun; Vudu; VuNow HD; Boxee Box
kumasuki

Postby dunky » Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:06 pm

Thank you to everyone for helping, I've just decided to return it and purchase a different product.
dunky

Postby kumasuki » Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:09 pm

dunky wrote:Thank you to everyone for helping, I've just decided to return it and purchase a different product.

Could you at least try switching to the 1080p display to see if that works - we could use come corroboration on this as a viable workaround.
kumasuki

Postby mkiker2089 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:10 pm

Wireless channel 6 is in the router settings. IT is probably set to auto which means the router just picks one at random. In theory it changes it occasionally and the devices read it.

It's really a simple fix. I know it's frustrated you but I have little doubt that this would get you online.
-Marshall-

mkiker2089

Postby dunky » Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:23 pm

kumasuki wrote:Could you at least try switching to the 1080p display to see if that works - we could use come corroboration on this as a viable workaround.

It is working now that I switched it to the 1080p display type, but it has about 4" of black on each side of the screen. It was still a bit sluggish, but so far it is working.
dunky

Postby kumasuki » Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:29 pm

dunky wrote:It is working now that I switched it to the 1080p display type, but it has about 4" of black on each side of the screen.

Thanks for the update! (this tells us that whatever may be going on at the firmware level, auto-channel negotiation may not be the main culprit). As for the "black bars" - that could well be a clash between the Roku outputting a wide-screen format and the TV's current aspect ratio setting. Do you have the manual for that TV?
kumasuki

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion