WiFi won't connect while using HDMI

Moderators: RokuShawnS, RokuDouglas, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

WiFi won't connect while using HDMI

Postby chaddarack » Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:40 am

I'm sure I'll get Kumatsu's attention with this one.

Got my new Roku HD. Of course it would not connect with WiFi - isn't it stupid that the firmware loaded on the unit is so bad you can't even use it without plugging it in the first time to update the firmware? It is also retarded that the Roku (made by Netgear) does not have ALL of the Netgear routers on it's compatibility list. So I carried a TV into the room where my router is, plugged it into ethernet, and it updated firmware and worked. So I unplugged the Roku, carried it out to the living room 20 feet away, and plugged it into my HDTV. It now connected and even let me get on Hulu plus, open my account, and select a show. As the show started to buffer, it froze. After about 10 minutes, I power cycled the Roku, and of course now it wont connect to the network. Sometimes it can't even see my network, but it can see several neighbors' networks at 300ft away or more. Other times, and more commonly it would freeze while searching for available networks. I spent several hours trying, and gave up at 1am. Oh yeah, I tried channel 6 on the router - didn't work. The next day, after reading a few more connection issues on this board, I tried detaching the HDMI and using the RCA cord instead. Works perfectly that way. I watched several shows, with no bumps, almost no buffer times, etc. Bummer that I can't get HD on it though.

Tonight I will try using the HD on one input on my tv while simultaneously connecting HDMI to see if I can trick it. I plan on using HDMI on my livingroom HDTV and RCA out to an RF modulator to run my other tv's in the house with an iPhone remote.

Apple TV would NOT have had these firmware issues. I am not impressed with the Roku product thus far, and will have a hard time recommending this to friends. Most of them are not as computer/AV savvy as I am, and would likely never get it working. I thought Google TV was rushing their platform out the door too quickly, but ROKU certainly is.
chaddarack

Re: WiFi won't connect while using HDMI

Postby stratcat96 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:17 am

chaddarack wrote:I'm sure I'll get Kumatsu's attention with this one.

Got my new Roku HD. Of course it would not connect with WiFi - isn't it stupid that the firmware loaded on the unit is so bad you can't even use it without plugging it in the first time to update the firmware? It is also retarded that the Roku (made by Netgear) does not have ALL of the Netgear routers on it's compatibility list. So I carried a TV into the room where my router is, plugged it into ethernet, and it updated firmware and worked. So I unplugged the Roku, carried it out to the living room 20 feet away, and plugged it into my HDTV. It now connected and even let me get on Hulu plus, open my account, and select a show. As the show started to buffer, it froze. After about 10 minutes, I power cycled the Roku, and of course now it wont connect to the network. Sometimes it can't even see my network, but it can see several neighbors' networks at 300ft away or more. Other times, and more commonly it would freeze while searching for available networks. I spent several hours trying, and gave up at 1am. Oh yeah, I tried channel 6 on the router - didn't work. The next day, after reading a few more connection issues on this board, I tried detaching the HDMI and using the RCA cord instead. Works perfectly that way. I watched several shows, with no bumps, almost no buffer times, etc. Bummer that I can't get HD on it though.

Tonight I will try using the HD on one input on my tv while simultaneously connecting HDMI to see if I can trick it. I plan on using HDMI on my livingroom HDTV and RCA out to an RF modulator to run my other tv's in the house with an iPhone remote.

Apple TV would NOT have had these firmware issues. I am not impressed with the Roku product thus far, and will have a hard time recommending this to friends. Most of them are not as computer/AV savvy as I am, and would likely never get it working. I thought Google TV was rushing their platform out the door too quickly, but ROKU certainly is.

are you switching the output settings in the Roku when you are going between the compsite cable and HDMI? The Roku outputs all connections simulataneously and has no idea which you're using. So unless those settings are being changed, plugging one cable over another shouldn't cause any problems on the Roku's connectivity. It has been a known issue that some problems may arise if the user selects "1080p" as their output.. If that is when you are experiencing the problem, try simply setting it to 720p... Right now there really isn't any 1080p content of note out there anyway so you won't likely be missing anything. I'm sure that the next firmware update will fix that issue.
stratcat96
** Valued Community Member **

Postby chaddarack » Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:22 am

No I haven't changed the video settings at all. I was trying to get it to connect with the HDMI cord immediately before I changed the cords and it worked right away. Of course I rebooted the ROKU when changing a cord. But I had rebooted the thing 50 times previously with no improvement, and this time it was hung up searching for networks again. I didn't even have to search for the network once I had the RCA plugged in, it automatically found it from the previous settings inputs.
chaddarack

Postby Munst » Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:44 am

chaddarack wrote:Apple TV would NOT have had these firmware issues.

Yeah, Apple NEVER has any problems with firmware. :lol:
Munst

Postby chaddarack » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:03 am

:shock:
I am not an Apple fan. I am an Apple hater in general. But I do own an iPhone and will never go back. The iPhone firmware worked perfectly from day one, and I got this phone in the first few months of its existance. Actually my wife got the iPhone, and I got the "iPhone killer" of its day. I quickly realized that not only was the Apple product more fun to work with, it was much simpler to use out of the box. My HTC Tilt had more features and a more powerful system, but I had to break out the book to figure it out. Even once I figured one thing out, I need the book to figure out some other functionality. I switched to the iPhone, and when it asked for what I wanted to name it, I called it "The Dark Side", because I had sampled a product from evil Apple and their proprietary monopolistic ways. It is still the only Apple product I own except for the iMac that is running Windows XP pro natively.

I'm pretty confident Apple wouldn't send out a product (I got this ROKU direct from the ROKU website) that requires hours of research to get it to work. That is Apple's one selling feature, is simplicity out of the box. If they weren't such a control freak over content and software. . . However, I'm more interested in comments on the ROKU, and how to get the most out of it. Or solutions to my HDMI problem.
chaddarack

Postby stratcat96 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:23 am

If you are not changing display settings in Roku, then the cable you are using is not the culprit. The fact that it worked when you use the composite is likely a coincidence more than anything else. If it worked hardwired, but has difficulties with wireless, your problem looks to be in the router, or even in reception area/interference.

As far as Roku sending out a product that's not ready to be marketed, 99% of users plug it in and have no issues keeping under the 5 minute setup statement. I have two that conform to that. Postings looking for help are made by exactly that, peploe who need help. So if you extrapolate that, possibly a few people a day post for help while thousands of others have no problems setting up.. It's all relative. Unfortunately there are dozens, if not more, of variables in router type, signal type, dns setting, etc. that prohibit every set up from being universally the same. If you look at Atv's boards you will see that they have the same issues too.
stratcat96

Postby Munst » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:31 am

chaddarack wrote:I'm pretty confident Apple wouldn't send out a product (I got this ROKU direct from the ROKU website) that requires hours of research to get it to work.

For most users it doesn't. I have 3 that all worked within minutes. Unfortunately, all network devices tend to not always behave with every access point. It is unfortunate that is the case for you. To state that Apple does not have these problems, however, is disingenuous. A quick browse over to the Apple support forums will yield plenty of folks who have wireless issues with their AppleTV.

I also am an Iphone user, generally happy, but it is not flawless. Mine would not work with my Netgear if SSID was disabled. Should have worked, but didn't.

Point is....this is a good place to look for help, however, bashing the unit while praising "Flawless" Apple is not the best way to start.
Munst

Postby kumasuki » Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:56 am

chaddarack wrote:No I haven't changed the video settings at all. I was trying to get it to connect with the HDMI cord immediately before I changed the cords and it worked right away. Of course I rebooted the ROKU when changing a cord. But I had rebooted the thing 50 times previously with no improvement, and this time it was hung up searching for networks again. I didn't even have to search for the network once I had the RCA plugged in, it automatically found it from the previous settings inputs.

This thread isn't the easiest to follow - however, the gist I'm getting is 1) your Roku has current firmware and you got through all the initial setup procedures. 2) you now find that after selecting 720P in the Roku display settings the box no longer connects wirelessly. If this is in fact the central issue here, then it likely is due to a suspected firmware bug (discussed in several other threads). I can attest two workarounds: 1) using wifi channel 6 (which I believe you've tried) and 2) setting the display mode to 1080P - which does not have detrimental effects even if your TV is only 720P.

You could also consider doing a 'hard' reset: with the Roku powered up, remove all cables (except power); press and hold the reset button for 30+ seconds; while still depressing reset, pull the power; re-connect everything.

Kumasuki (no relation to Kumatsu)
--------------------------------------
Roku XDS; DSM-520; HDX1000 w/1TB drive; Neuros; Hauppauge 1212 HD-PVR; HDHomeRun; Vudu; VuNow HD; Boxee Box
kumasuki

Postby kumasuki » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:06 pm

stratcat96 wrote:It has been a known issue that some problems may arise if the user selects "1080p" as their output.

To which issues are you referring? There are reports of difficulties with 1080p content that some users believe adhere to Roku's 1080p requirements yet they can't get these streams to display. However, I'm unaware of any technical problems arising just by selecting 1080p in the Roku display settings; and using the 1080P display option still allows you to stream content at any lower resolution just fine.
Roku XDS; DSM-520; HDX1000 w/1TB drive; Neuros; Hauppauge 1212 HD-PVR; HDHomeRun; Vudu; VuNow HD; Boxee Box
kumasuki

Postby stratcat96 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:12 pm

kumasuki wrote:
stratcat96 wrote:It has been a known issue that some problems may arise if the user selects "1080p" as their output.

To which issues are you referring? There are reports of difficulties with 1080p content that some users believe adhere to Roku's 1080p requirements yet they can't get these streams to display. However, I'm unaware of any technical problems arising just by selecting 1080p in the Roku display settings; and using the 1080P display option still allows you to stream content at any lower resolution just fine.

You have seen those posts, as have I where users that have had 1080p sets that have insisted on having 1080p selected in the Roku and thusly are having problems with connectivity have found restored connectivity by selecting a different output mode. I'm not at all bashing Roku, just relaying information that I've seen on these boards in the past.
stratcat96

Postby kumasuki » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:22 pm

stratcat96 wrote: posts ... where users that have had 1080p sets that have insisted on having 1080p selected in the Roku and thusly are having problems with connectivity have found restored connectivity by selecting a different output mode.

I'm just truly curious here - threads in which a user insists on selecting 1080p and as a result couldn't connect wirelessly? - any reports like that in the last month? The only discussions that come to my mind are all the back-and-forth about which framerates do or don't work at 1080p on the Roku, and (in)compatibility with certain TV makes/models (not wireless connectivity issues).
kumasuki

Postby chaddarack » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:23 pm

kumasuki wrote: 2) you now find that after selecting 720P in the Roku display settings the box no longer connects wirelessly.

Well, I'm not changing any settings on the video settings. I only changed from HDMI cord to the RCA cord. I wonder if the settings automatically change when there is no HDMI cord attached.

One problem for me is that I only got the HD. So it won't have the setting for 1080p right? Chanel 6 didn't work. I'll try the hard reset.

Kumasuki your comments are always helpful.
chaddarack

Postby chaddarack » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:29 pm

Munst wrote:Point is....this is a good place to look for help, however, bashing the unit while praising "Flawless" Apple is not the best way to start.

No Munst, the point is . . . . this is a good place to help, however bashing Apple, instead of helping is not the best way to start.
chaddarack

Postby kumasuki » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:39 pm

chaddarack wrote:Well, I'm not changing any settings on the video settings. I only changed from HDMI cord to the RCA cord. I wonder if the settings automatically change when there is no HDMI cord attached.

One problem for me is that I only got the HD. So it won't have the setting for 1080p right? Channel 6 didn't work. I'll try the hard reset.

Yeah, the 1080p option is only available for the older XR and the current XD & XDS models - so that's not an option for you. Just to clarify, for the Roku display setting, do you currently have SD or HD (720p) selected?? If you've only had SD selected from the start and haven't done any switching to 720p - then it's not clear that there is necessarily any connection between using HDMI and problems connecting wirelessly (unless this is something new going on). There's been no mention of the make/model of your router.
Last edited by kumasuki on Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kumasuki

Postby kumasuki » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:44 pm

chaddarack wrote: I tried detaching the HDMI and using the RCA cord instead. Works perfectly that way. I watched several shows, with no bumps, almost no buffer times, etc. Bummer that I can't get HD on it though.

This comment led me to believe that you were using the Roku in HD display mode!
kumasuki

Next

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion