Using Roku as Computer Monitor?

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

Using Roku as Computer Monitor?

Postby johnpannell » Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:19 am

Is it possible to use the Roku box as a computer monitor, or to turn my tv into a monitor? For example, there is content I can watch online but is not yet available through Roku. I would like to be able to use my tv as an additional monitor to watch such content, without having to physically connect it to a laptop computer.
johnpannell

Re: Using Roku as Computer Monitor?

Postby Gilgamesh » Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:26 am

Right now no. But one of the super developers that frequent here may create a ch for that. There have been many surprises spring from the diverse developers pool.
Gilgamesh

Postby retrotom » Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:37 am

Actually, you can do that with the latest Gabby beta. It allows you to screencast from your computer to the Roku. We're still working on improving the overall experience, but it work pretty well in practice -- it just takes a long time to load enough buffer material for the Roku. You can find more information here: http://gabilan.com/forums/index.php?topic=62.0.
retrotom

Postby bach37115 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:41 am

Dyyno Enables Everyone to Stream Live TV to the Family Room With Roku, I use it and it works.
http://www.dyyno.com/pages/
bach37115

Postby Narsh » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:25 am

I haven't done it with the Roku, but on my Seagate box I've been streaming from my PC with a combination of VLC and TVersity. It's a bit involved, but a similar setup might work on the Roku if a developer was willing to tackle it.

Another option (P*****) seems to have been officially frowned upon, so I'm not sure how far similar efforts will get.

The Gabby beta mentioned above does look promising.
Narsh

Postby johnpannell » Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:18 am

Thanks... I now have a few options to try...
johnpannell

Postby johnpannell » Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:32 am

Neither of the two programs appear to be workable options for me. Gabby would not install. Dyyno installed but would not run. I'm not inclined to tinker... Thanks anyway.
johnpannell

Postby Gilgamesh » Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:11 am

johnpannell wrote:Neither of the two programs appear to be workable options for me. Gabby would not install. Dyyno installed but would not run. I'm not inclined to tinker... Thanks anyway.

I was able to get Gabby to install and run on two different computers, both of which are capable of running server apps from, RoksBox, Chaneru, MyMedia, PlayOn and others, they even can run two or three of these at a time and still surf the web or run other apps but Gabby overloads either one and maxes out the processor even if it is the only app running.

Even running it by itself most videos will not play and the screen app just times out. (It would be useless anyway if it prevented other apps from running) I wish it worked but it just does not.

Maybe some other app will show up that will do the job but, for now, Gabby does not appear to be a viable choice.
Gilgamesh

Postby knownchild » Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:45 am

I use Plex to stream media to my Roku, but it would be awesome if there was a desktop streaming program kinda like a virtual video cable.

For anyone that is interested in Plex:
http://www.plexapp.com/
knownchild

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion