Credit Card required AFTER purchase?

Moderators: RokuShawnS, RokuDouglas, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Credit Card required AFTER purchase?

Postby Hippocrates » Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:29 am

Hello folks,

So, let me start off by saying that I love the concept of the Roku, and several of my friends have been satisfied owners for a number of years. Eventually I tired of having to watch Netflix streams on my computer, while my buddies got to watch them on their TV's, and I figured it was time to buy a Roku for myself.

Now, I'm very cautious with my credit card; I've had my number stolen from a retailer once, and twice my bank has issued a new card due to retailers informing them that batches of numbers had been stolen (I know; it happens all the time). With that being said, I checked the specs and information available, and nothing was mentioned about needing a credit card number beyond the initial purchase. I bought my Roku, pulled it out of the box, went to link it, and BAM. Credit card required, to be kept on file with Roku, inc, for my *own convenience.*

Eh?

I asked my friends if this was something they'd gone through, and received a negative. I did a more in depth search, and only once I knew what I was looking for, did I find FAQ questions/answers about the whole thing. Further reading showed it to be result of a fairly new service, and a requirement all new customers. Right now a very nice customer support Rep has been on and off the phone with me all morning trying to be as helpful as possible, but she's just a call center rep and doesn't set policy (ie, can't do much).

Now here's my thing. I understand why they might want CC info. But when one goes looking at the base information when making a purchasing decision, none of this was disclosed in an easy to find spot. Also, there should be some way to opt out. The simple fact of the matter is that I don't WANT to give out my CC info (this company is new to me, I don't know them, nor have I even seen what the channel service is like yet). All I wanted was to watch my Netflix movies - for which I already pay seperately.

Give me the option? Sure. Maybe I'll take it. But make it mandatory? Without disclosing it clearly ahead of time? For a service I have 0 interest in? No thanks! So far I have been unsuccessful in skipping this step. Is anyone aware of another method by which I may do so?

(Yeah, I know about the Paypal option..I even have an account. I tried it, and even though I have an active, recognized card in there, they want me to RE-ENTER the number, all on a page emblazoned with Roku emblems everywhere. I'm a trusting guy, really...I'm just annoyed at the way I'm being pushed into something without wanting it).
Hippocrates

Re: Credit Card required AFTER purchase?

Postby mommom » Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:33 am

Does your CC company let you have temporary CC #s?
mommom

Postby stratcat96 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:37 am

This is a new model that Roku has decided to implement. Many users and reviews had complained that in order to sign up for various pay channels (all very inexpensive) the user had to go to an external website to create an account and pay. The compared it to the ease of itunes with apple. The creation of a centralized place to pay for something rather than having to use the computer came out of those requests. You would only "pay" for something if you wanted that particular service. It's no different than having to register and provide that info with itunes.
stratcat96
** Valued Community Member **

Postby Hippocrates » Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:52 am

The thing is, I don't even provide that info to iTunes; I use prepaid iTunes cards for that, which serves as an example of a company offering an option. However, I didn't know they had already tried a different model and that people complained about THAT one. I'm still giving the current model a thumbs down, but at least they're trying and responding to customer feedback.

Update:
Either way, 10 minutes after I posted (always the way it happens, no?) customer service called back and escalated me to a supervisor. He was able to help me out, and an account has been created sans CC info. As with the first rep, the service provided by the supervisor was very friendly and responsive. Top notch customer service isn't something which can be taken for granted these days, so I'm very thankful for their assistance.

Problem resolved.
Hippocrates

Postby Gilgamesh » Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:54 am

stratcat96 wrote:This is a new model that Roku has decided to implement. Many users and reviews had complained that in order to sign up for various pay channels (all very inexpensive) the user had to go to an external website to create an account and pay. The compared it to the ease of itunes with apple. The creation of a centralized place to pay for something rather than having to use the computer came out of those requests. You would only "pay" for something if you wanted that particular service. It's no different than having to register and provide that info with itunes.
While this may be a common model I, for one, would object strenuously to having to supply CC info because it "might" be useful later.

A better method would be to set this up the first time it is needed and use that info for subsequent purchases. Better would be to make it optional as it is with most shopping sites. You can have the info stored or not at the time you use the service.

Of course, if you use PayPal cards then use one to set this up and then report it lost to PayPal and request a replacement. This is what I do for any purchases that I do not wholly trust or do not wish to have my info stored with. Don't use the PayPal function for this just use the PayPal card just like any other card.

There are a few sites that I allow to store my info but most I don't and, as much as I like Roku, I would have them fall into the latter category at this time.
Gilgamesh

Postby stratcat96 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:57 am

Hippocrates wrote:The thing is, I don't even provide that info to iTunes; I use prepaid iTunes cards for that, which serves as an example of a company offering an option. However, I didn't know they had already tried a different model and that people complained about THAT one. I'm still giving the current model a thumbs down, but at least they're trying and responding to customer feedback.

Update:
Either way, 10 minutes after I posted (always the way it happens, no?) customer service called back and escalated me to a supervisor. He was able to help me out, and an account has been created sans CC info. As with the first rep, the service provided by the supervisor was very friendly and responsive. Top notch customer service isn't something which can be taken for granted these days, so I'm very thankful for their assistance.

Problem resolved.

Itunes has been around awhile longer, and there was a time, in its infancy, before they had prepaid cards. This new pay model for Roku has only been around for a week. One could always use a prepaid debit card for the Roku stuff. Admittedly, I signed up my first Roku in November and obviously that wasnt a requirement then. I'm not sure I'd have been too jazzed about it either....
stratcat96

Postby steelersrule » Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:37 am

I like the way the VUDU streaming service does it. It allows you to signup, without even giving a CC#. You can add one later, or not at all. Although VUDU has no gift cards to add to an account for credit, but I suspect this will change soon. At least I hope it will.

I am like the OP that I am very protective of my CC, and credit rating in general. I love the fact that Netflix/Cinemanow/etc... have gift cards whcih can be added to an account without having to even use your CC. Granted a CC is needed for signup for those servcies, but I like having the ability to add funds to my account without it using my CC. And then just ending them whenever I want.
steelersrule

Postby TenderBranson » Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:07 am

stratcat96 wrote:
Hippocrates wrote:The thing is, I don't even provide that info to iTunes; I use prepaid iTunes cards for that, which serves as an example of a company offering an option. However, I didn't know they had already tried a different model and that people complained about THAT one. I'm still giving the current model a thumbs down, but at least they're trying and responding to customer feedback.

Update:

Problem resolved.

Itunes has been around awhile longer, and there was a time, in its infancy, before they had prepaid cards. This new pay model for Roku has only been around for a week. One could always use a prepaid debit card for the Roku stuff. Admittedly, I signed up my first Roku in November and obviously that wasnt a requirement then. I'm not sure I'd have been too jazzed about it either....

Even if they didn't have prepaid cards for itunes I'm sure there was never a time when entering a cc# was required. The reason for this is simple. Not everyone is going to make a purchase. Some people are going to just listen to radio streams and mp3's they have had for ever. The same thing applies to Roku. A lot of people are just going to use netflix which they have to pay for via a computer anyways. Then there is all the free services available. Simply put, a lot of people are never going to need/want a cc# on file. I think it would be great to offer the option to add a cc# at setup, but if I had to set my account up like this I'd be ticked too.

And also, whats to stop someone from just ordering a channel without my consent? Is there a pin number now on the roku?
TenderBranson

Postby TheEndless » Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:21 am

TenderBranson wrote:Even if they didn't have prepaid cards for itunes I'm sure there was never a time when entering a cc# was required.

What are you basing that on? As far as I'm aware, since Apple started selling music, either a credit card or a gift card has been required to create an account. One of the primary reasons being for verification, since they have a lot content that is geographically restricted, so you can't just create an account for use in any of the international iTunes stores without proof that you live in that area.

TenderBranson wrote:Is there a pin number now on the roku?

Yes. If you look at your account settings on the Roku site, you will see the payment options, including the option to set up a PIN for purchases.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), MainSqueeze (MAINSQUEEZE), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), Justin.tv (JUSTINTV), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
TheEndless

Postby shelleyp » Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:21 am

I did receive a first time invoice from Roku today, listing out all of my free channels.

However, I attached a Paypal account to my Roku account yesterday to buy Hogo Pro, so that may have triggered the invoicing.

I am a bit surprised that Roku is requiring a CC or paypal account for new accounts. There's a lot of free material available.

I do like the fact, though, that I don't have to provide a CC for all the little sites and can just the Roku account.

Seems to me a compromise is the way to go: not require a CC or paypal account UNLESS you do buy one of the new Roku apps, or subscribe to one of the smaller subscription sites. Once you have to pay it, though, the payment info is held on record.
shelleyp

Postby hammerpocket » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:00 pm

I think some of the disagreement here is based on confusing iTunes the application with the iTunes Store. Certainly there is not -- and never has been -- a credit card requirement for using iTunes to listen to music. iTunes Store accounts generally require a credit card, but there are instructions to create a credit card-free account in the iTunes App Store on Apple's support site. I've seen reports that the account can then be used in the music store as well.
hammerpocket

Postby jroy » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:06 pm

Following up on this thread...

I just got my new Roku a few days ago, I was very happy. Today I connected it up, ready to go (happily) and, oh we need for CC for "future purchases". What? (no longer happy)

So I'm not going to give my CC for "future purposes" anymore than I'm going to go around town and give all the restaurants and shops my CC for when I may decide to eat there or buy something. That is not the way the world works. I am not a Roku customer, so I'm not giving a CC. Roku has not earned any loyalty from me. If a Roku demands a CC (or paypal or whatever) before I can use this box I've already paid $90 for then I'll be happy to take my business elsewhere and justifiably drag the name of this brand thru the virtual mud.

What are they thinking!

I already have an RMA# from amazon for this box. Tomorrow I'm going to give customer service 5 minutes to active the box without any BS. Then I'm going to write off the $5 return shipping cost to experience. Maybe file a quick virtual false advertising claim.
jroy

Postby fredp » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:35 pm

Wow. I am surprised no one has objected to the fact that, using this method, you can sign up for a free channel and if the developer decides to charge for it later you get billed automatically. You can't say no because your credit card number is on file and billing is at the discretion of the developer.

Don't you think this should really be an opt-in service with just a few more safeguards?
fredp

Postby rilex » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:57 pm

I am surprised no one has objected to the fact that, using this method, you can sign up for a free channel and if the developer decides to charge for it later you get billed automatically. You can't say no because your credit card number is on file and billing is at the discretion of the developer.

Sure you can. It is called a charge back, and it will get very expensive for Rokulabs if this starts happening en mass.

Just make sure to use a credit card and not a debit/bank/cheque card!
rilex

Postby RokuJamesL » Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:01 pm

fredp wrote:Wow. I am surprised no one has objected to the fact that, using this method, you can sign up for a free channel and if the developer decides to charge for it later you get billed automatically. You can't say no because your credit card number is on file and billing is at the discretion of the developer.

Don't you think this should really be an opt-in service with just a few more safeguards?

Where are coming up with this? That scenario is impossible in our channel store system. If a channel developer decides to switch their channel from free to subscription/purchase, it would require the developer to submit an entirely new channel, separate from the free version.
RokuJamesL
Roku Engineering

Next

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion