Credit Card required AFTER purchase?

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

Re: Credit Card required AFTER purchase?

Postby unterhausen » Sat Dec 24, 2011 8:19 pm

After the Sony debacle and any number of other companies losing their cc databases, I can't even see why Roku would want to keep the card, and you'd have to be a little slow to give it to them. I guess I'm a little slow.

Somehow my original attempt to get an account here failed, and Roku customer service refuses to figure out if I did create an account under a valid (but not belonging to me) email. AFAIK, someone else now has access to my credit card information, at least for the purposes of charging it for Roku. They should at least make sure that you have access to your account before forcing you to put your CC information in.

So I did create an account without CC information on file. Big deal, they have it in their database somewhere, so when the inevitable happens, it will be in the wild if it isn't already.
unterhausen

Postby AngryNewUser » Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:39 pm

I received a Roku 2 XS player for Christmas from my parents. While it seems like a cool device, I don't know much of anything about it. I was excited to try it, and, as soon as my HDMI cable arrived from Amazon, I plugged it in and powered it up. Lo and behold, the signup demanded a credit card. I don't even know how a Roku works or if I would even find it useful, so I'm not particularly interested in risking my credit card to try out a device.

I've repacked the device, and tomorrow I'll make the awkward call to my parents asking how to return it. Thanks a lot, Roku. The device turned out to be a major disappointment.
AngryNewUser

Postby Gilgamesh » Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:48 pm

AngryNewUser wrote:I received a Roku 2 XS player for Christmas from my parents. While it seems like a cool device, I don't know much of anything about it. I was excited to try it, and, as soon as my HDMI cable arrived from Amazon, I plugged it in and powered it up. Lo and behold, the signup demanded a credit card. I don't even know how a Roku works or if I would even find it useful, so I'm not particularly interested in risking my credit card to try out a device.

I've repacked the device, and tomorrow I'll make the awkward call to my parents asking how to return it. Thanks a lot, Roku. The device turned out to be a major disappointment.

If you had bothered to read this thread or asked the question you would have found that a simple call to customer service would have allowed you to activate the Roku without a credit card.

Reading has become a lost art.
Gilgamesh

Postby mikebdoss » Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:13 pm

Gilgamesh wrote:
AngryNewUser wrote:I received a Roku 2 XS player for Christmas from my parents. While it seems like a cool device, I don't know much of anything about it. I was excited to try it, and, as soon as my HDMI cable arrived from Amazon, I plugged it in and powered it up. Lo and behold, the signup demanded a credit card. I don't even know how a Roku works or if I would even find it useful, so I'm not particularly interested in risking my credit card to try out a device.

If you had bothered to read this thread or asked the question you would have found that a simple call to customer service would have allowed you to activate the Roku without a credit card.

Reading has become a lost art.

But moaning and whining is as strong as ever.
mikebdoss
** Valued Community Member **

Postby Glendower » Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:26 pm

I'm sorry, Roku apologists, it is not "whining" to complain that they want CC info after purchase (which is not listed as a requirement anywhere on the box). And that I have to call them as a work around? That's unnecessarily inconvenient. Why not prompt users to enter CC info once they decide to purchase games, channels, etc? This is really dumb. I am not going to recommend a Roku to anyone. This is unnecessary and certainly reveals the supposed simplicity of this unit, which is a selling point, to be a lie. It's tedious or invasive-- take your pick.

"Whining" would be complaining about something that shouldn't be expected (e.g. wanting a Roku to be a BluRay player or file server); this was a total surprise to me and I'm pretty irritated.
Glendower

Postby RokuShawnS » Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:34 pm

Glendower wrote:I'm sorry, Roku apologists, it is not "whining" to complain that they want CC info after purchase (which is not listed as a requirement anywhere on the box). And that I have to call them as a work around? That's unnecessarily inconvenient. Why not prompt users to enter CC info once they decide to purchase games, channels, etc? This is really dumb. I am not going to recommend a Roku to anyone. This is unnecessary and certainly reveals the supposed simplicity of this unit, which is a selling point, to be a lie. It's tedious or invasive-- take your pick.

"Whining" would be complaining about something that shouldn't be expected (e.g. wanting a Roku to be a BluRay player or file server); this was a total surprise to me and I'm pretty irritated.

You don't even have to call CS. The moment you create the account, you can delete the credit card information. It's not stored on our system once deleted.

C. Shawn Smith
Forum Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Postby mkiker2089 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:51 pm

RokuShawnS wrote:
Glendower wrote:I'm sorry, Roku apologists, it is not "whining" to complain that they want CC info after purchase (which is not listed as a requirement anywhere on the box). And that I have to call them as a work around? That's unnecessarily inconvenient. Why not prompt users to enter CC info once they decide to purchase games, channels, etc? This is really dumb. I am not going to recommend a Roku to anyone. This is unnecessary and certainly reveals the supposed simplicity of this unit, which is a selling point, to be a lie. It's tedious or invasive-- take your pick.

You don't even have to call CS. The moment you create the account, you can delete the credit card information. It's not stored on our system once deleted.

C. Shawn Smith

Don't you see the lunacy in it however. If it's so easy to remove or so easy to call CS and skip it, then why not put a simple "skip" link in the set up?

It's no an issue of security or convenience. It's pure customer service at this point. Customers don't want to put their CC info in the box. It doesn't matter why it just matters that the paying customers want this to be an OPTION and not a hassle or requirement. Has this been in your weekly reports?
-Marshall-

Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv.
I know nothing, I see nothing, I wasn't there,
and if I was there, I was asleep.
mkiker2089

Postby philsoft » Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:59 pm

mkiker2089 wrote:Don't you see the lunacy in it however. If it's so easy to remove or so easy to call CS and skip it, then why not put a simple "skip" link in the set up?

It's no an issue of security or convenience. It's pure customer service at this point. Customers don't want to put their CC info in the box. It doesn't matter why it just matters that the paying customers want this to be an OPTION and not a hassle or requirement. Has this been in your weekly reports?

It makes sense to me to require the credit card info be entered, because probably the vast majority of people will just leave the info there, and it will be easy for them to make purchases, so they would be more LIKELY to make purchases. It just makes sense from a business standpoint. They probably know that it will ruffle a few feathers, but that is probably more than compensated for by the projected increase in sales due to requiring the credit card info. Any businessman that would choose NOT to make that business decision, probably wouldn't be in business for too long.
philsoft

Postby mikebdoss » Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:05 pm

philsoft wrote:It makes sense to me to require the credit card info be entered, because probably the vast majority of people will just leave the info there, and it will be easy for them to make purchases, so they would be more LIKELY to make purchases. It just makes sense from a business standpoint. They probably know that it will ruffle a few feathers, but that is probably more than compensated for by the projected increase in sales due to requiring the credit card info. Any businessman that would choose NOT to make that business decision, probably wouldn't be in business for too long.

Exactly. Most people don't care, and like the convenience of NOT having to enter information for ever purchase (or have to go to their computers to buy a channel). The few that care can opt out. The rest are going to complain about everything anyway.
mikebdoss

Postby mkiker2089 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:34 pm

mikebdoss wrote: The rest are going to complain about everything anyway.

I think it's more likely that apologists have lost their perspective. I understand the business idea behind impulse buying. I also understand the business idea that the customer is always right.
-Marshall-

Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv.
I know nothing, I see nothing, I wasn't there,
and if I was there, I was asleep.
mkiker2089

Postby RokuShawnS » Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:42 pm

mkiker2089 wrote:Don't you see the lunacy in it however. If it's so easy to remove or so easy to call CS and skip it, then why not put a simple "skip" link in the set up?

It was at the request of channel developers that this process ended up happening, as well as the request of end-users, who wanted it to be convenient and easy (sort of like a fire-and-forget missile).

By the way, please note that the term "Roku apologists" holds a slightly negative and confrontational tone. While I won't try to censor it, it would be appreciated if terms like that weren't used. It's the firecracker in the middle of a problem neighborhood that starts the gunfire.
Forum Community Liaison

------------
RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Postby RokuShawnS » Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:46 pm

Added: And just FYI: I was an end user (before I was an employee) that didn't have to input the credit card. I admit I'd be a bit *miffed* at having to do it now, but I'd do it without hesitation. Most online services require a credit card to register, even if you get a month free. I've been a part of 3 or 4 already that required it, allowed me to download for free anything I wanted within 30 days (or sometimes just a week), but they still required that credit card, even if I cancelled. Most cases, I didn't.

But I'm not arguing that perhaps it could be better advertised as being necessary. As such, I've included it in my weekly reports on a few occasions, so you ARE being heard at some point.

C. Shawn Smith
Forum Community Liaison

------------
RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Postby steamer » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:00 pm

mikebdoss wrote:
philsoft wrote:It makes sense to me to require the credit card info be entered, because probably the vast majority of people will just leave the info there, and it will be easy for them to make purchases, so they would be more LIKELY to make purchases. It just makes sense from a business standpoint. They probably know that it will ruffle a few feathers, but that is probably more than compensated for by the projected increase in sales due to requiring the credit card info. Any businessman that would choose NOT to make that business decision, probably wouldn't be in business for too long.

Exactly. Most people don't care, and like the convenience of NOT having to enter information for ever purchase (or have to go to their computers to buy a channel). The few that care can opt out. The rest are going to complain about everything anyway.

and then there are those who complain about people who complain about LEGITIMATE problems ...
or complain about those who aren't as tech savvy as they.

this is supposed to be a forum where those in the know help those who are not ...
rather than snivel and whine themselves.
you know who you are.
"The Selection of Random Numbers is too Important to be Left to Chance."

Roku 1 - Model #2100X V 3.1 b1017
Roku 2 - Model #3100X V 5.5.321
both wired
VisionNet ADSL2+4 Ports Wireless
Toshiba 40G300U HDMI, 1080P
steamer

Postby mikebdoss » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:11 pm

steamer wrote:and then there are those who complain about people who complain about LEGITIMATE problems ...

this is supposed to be a forum where those in the know help those who are not ...
you know who you are.

Not liking a company's credit card requirement (which can be overcome) isn't a "legitimate" problem (it's a complaint), nor is it an issue of tech savvy.
mikebdoss

Postby stratcat96 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:20 pm

steamer wrote:
mikebdoss wrote:

and then there are those who complain about people who complain about LEGITIMATE problems ...

you know who you are.

a complaint about a complaint that was about a complaint. How delicious... :mrgreen:
stratcat96

PreviousNext

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion