USTVNow

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

USTVNow

Postby Schmye Bubbula » Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:19 pm

Anyone using USTVNow? http://www.ustvnow.com/
(I'm brand new here, with my first-ever Roku box on order.)
How does USTVNow work for you? How good is the "DVR"? Can one set TiVo-like "Season Passes"?
When I signed-up for it, they were very strict about ensuring that one's a USA citizen.
Although I think it's barely mentioned — if at all — on the website, there was one vague allusion in the Terms of Acceptance that it's really intended for USA citizens overseas, so I wonder how strict they are about using it domestically.
– –
first-generation Roku XD|S (2100X), composite connection to old 4:3 CRT SDTV
Schmye Bubbula

Re: USTVNow

Postby stratcat96 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:25 pm

Schmye Bubbula wrote:Anyone using USTVNow? http://www.ustvnow.com/
(I'm brand new here, with my first-ever Roku box on order.)
How does USTVNow work for you? How good is the "DVR"? Can one set TiVo-like "Season Passes"?
When I signed-up for it, they were very strict about ensuring that one's a USA citizen.
Although I think it's barely mentioned — if at all — on the website, there was one vague allusion in the Terms of Acceptance that it's really intended for USA citizens overseas, so I wonder how strict they are about using it domestically.

I've never heard of it and it looks shady
stratcat96
** Valued Community Member **

Postby SuetyStanes » Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:28 pm

Is there a Roku channel? I haven't seen one in the channel store, but I haven't been looking either. They do say on their website though that it's usable with a Roku.

Very interesting.
SuetyStanes

Postby fredp » Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:33 pm

I have it and it works well. local channels are free and cable tv costs about the same as cable tv anywhere. yes, the service is designed for ex-pats, but that does not mean we can't use it. please don't give out your social security number, though.
fredp

Postby Schmye Bubbula » Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:36 pm

I just got an email from USTVNow answering an inquiry, and they say that they may be offering the "DVR" service for the otherwise free channels at an "in-between" price in the next few months.
– –
Schmye Bubbula

Postby kumasuki » Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:42 pm

SuetyStanes wrote:Is there a Roku channel? I haven't seen one in the channel store, but I haven't been looking either. They do say on their website though that it's usable with a Roku.

from the USTVNow site:
On your computer: USTVNOW has to be added as private channel on your Roku player since it is not listed in the Roku Channel Store. In order to do this enter "ustvnow" as the linking code and click on "add channel" on your Roku account page available here https://owner.roku.com/add/ustvnow
--------------------------------------
Roku XDS; DSM-520; HDX1000 w/1TB drive; Neuros; Hauppauge 1212 HD-PVR; HDHomeRun; Vudu; VuNow HD; Boxee Box
kumasuki

Postby Schmye Bubbula » Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:43 pm

When I signed-up, they only asked for the first five digits of a Social Security number. My understanding is that this is a recent change, and that they used to ask for the whole thing (or else a credit card number, which now still can be substituted even for the first 5-digit-SS), but I gather that there was a popular outcry, so they changed.
I haven't tried it, but this is said to work.
– –
Schmye Bubbula

Postby Schmye Bubbula » Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:52 pm

fredp wrote:...local channels are free and cable tv costs about the same as cable tv anywhere....

I added it up, and the USTVNow monthly $49 all-channels-and-DVR is $28/month cheaper than my local Time-Warner Basic (broadcast + cable) plus DVR Service.
– –
Schmye Bubbula

Postby stratcat96 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:56 pm

Schmye Bubbula wrote:
fredp wrote:...local channels are free and cable tv costs about the same as cable tv anywhere....

I added it up, and the USTVNow monthly $49 all-channels-and-DVR is $28/month cheaper than my local Time-Warner Basic (broadcast + cable) plus DVR Service.

until they get sued and shut down for distributing content (for $$ no less) they have no legal right to.. There have been several recent occasions where court cases have been brought about over that
stratcat96

Postby SuetyStanes » Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:59 pm

Schmye Bubbula wrote:

I'm intrigued by the short term 1 day/3 day/1 week passes too. If you knew you had a whole weekend with nothing going on, you could just plunk down a few bucks and veg out.
SuetyStanes

Postby SuetyStanes » Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:07 pm

stratcat96 wrote:
Schmye Bubbula wrote:

until they get sued and shut down for distributing content (for $$ no less) they have no legal right to.. There have been several recent occasions where court cases have been brought about over that

Why do you think they don't have the legal right to stream what they're streaming?
SuetyStanes

Postby matt47 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:09 pm

Has anyone played it on there roku yet? Do you have to have a paid plan for it to work? The free version works pretty good on my computer. How has no one discovered this yet? Think it said its been on Roku since November.
matt47

Postby kumasuki » Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:13 pm

matt47 wrote:Has anyone played it on their roku yet? Do you have to have a paid plan for it to work?

I have it loaded on my Roku now - you do NOT need to subscribe to any paid plan to get NBC, ABC, CBS, CW, FOX, or PBS.
--------------------------------------
Roku XDS; DSM-520; HDX1000 w/1TB drive; Neuros; Hauppauge 1212 HD-PVR; HDHomeRun; Vudu; VuNow HD; Boxee Box
kumasuki

Postby matt47 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:21 pm

Thats awesome! Hows the picture? If this works out its a big deal.
matt47

Postby mikebdoss » Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:28 pm

Their website is setting off all sorts of alarms for me. It's also supposed to be only for US citizens, and only while abroad (as per the following in their registration):

I am an American citizen (by birth or naturalization) and hold a United States passport or ‘Green Card’ for permanent residence. I understand that USTVNow’s Internet content is available, at this time, only to US citizens and residents while they are in foreign countries. I promise and warrant that my use of USTVNow is and will be consistent with this limitation.

To the best of my knowledge, no TV agreements that those stations might be making with a random internet provider would require citizenship - that's absurd. Second, none of the cable stations seem in on the whole thing from their side. Third, the grammar and design on the site is poor, and that's typically a sign that the company might not be up to the level of what's needed to negotiate streaming TV contracts from every major network in the US (when those channels don't stream to ANYONE ELSE, because they CAN'T).

I'm not sure if they're skirting the system by being offshore, or if they're just too small to have been shut down. But I'm betting it's one or the other.
mikebdoss

Next

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion