Screen goes blank during Netflix playback

Discussions about Roku products, channels, and Roku-related topics.

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Screen goes blank during Netflix playback

Postby BartInAl » Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:45 am

I've had my Roku since Christmas and I've had trouble with Netflix for a while now. When I"m watching a movie or show, sometime during the show, the screen goes blank. My TV senses the drop out in video and shows 720p (if the show was in 720p or it shows 480p). My TV will sometimes flash a PC type video setting, such as 1024x768 or higher. Occasionally, after a few seconds, the video will return. I know the Roku is still streaming since the movie comes back later in time than when the video went off. Most of the time, the video never comes back. I have to pull the power from the Roku and restart it. I've not noticed it on other channels like Pub D Hub, but I don't watch other channels as much as I do the Roku. I've tried changing the display settings from 1080p (my TV can play it back) to 720p, and lower, but no change. I thought maybe the roku is getting hot some I'm trying some different locations. So far, no change.
BartInAl

Re: Screen goes blank during Netflix playback

Postby destruk » Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:04 am

Yes I've seen this happen before. Since it only happens for a few seconds and seemingly random depending on the show I'm watching I never really worried about it. It doesn't happen often.
destruk

Re: Screen goes blank during Netflix playback

Postby Scottheb » Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:08 am

I haven't purchased an HDTV yet but It sounds like your tv is going into a sleep mode like your computer screen would. After a few seconds though your tv realizes that it is still receiving a signal so it comes back up. I would check your energy star settings or sleep mode settings. It's just a though. Good luck.
Scottheb

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion