bizzare Roku customer service experience

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

bizzare Roku customer service experience

Postby Rubisco321 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:49 pm

Hello,

I'm new to the forum, and I'm hoping to pass on a very weird experience that I recently had with Roku customer service. Since I could not locate a live phone number for the US office, I thought I would try to post here as a way to get my strange story seen by someone in the US.

I've been a happy Roku user for about 19 months, until 2 weeks ago when the HDMI port failed on my Roku box. I called customer support and spoke to someone in India who told me:

1) Roku couldn't help, since my box is over 1 year old
2) Maybe Amazon could - since I bought it through them

I spoke with Amazon who told me:

1) I didn't actually buy my Roku from them, but rather through them - from Roku.
2) Amazon can't help me.

At this point, I'm feeling OK about things - my Roku is outside of the warranty period, and I understand that.

This is where it gets weird. A week later, I get a call back from the person I spoke with in India. She would like to know if Amazon was able to help me resolve my problem. I told her they were not able to help. She asked if there was anything else she could do to help. I answered that there probably was not, unless she could provide me with a replacement. She put me on hold for a few minutes, returned, and said "OK - we will send you a replacement." She told me to forward my original purchase email to help@roku.com, and gave me a case number.

Within 30 minutes, I received 2 different emails, with 2 different case numbers - now I have 3 different case numbers, and I'm wondering why - so I call customer service. A new representative looks up my case, and tells me "I'm sorry, we've given you wrong information - I will notify my supervisor who will call you back within 30 minutes."

About 90 minutes later, the supervisor calls back and leaves a message on my machine saying something to the effect of "We're sorry that you were given incorrect information - we will discipline the person who you originally spoke with."

Before all this, I felt OK about having an out of warranty Roku - but now I've been told in the course of 2 hours:

1) that I will get a replacement
2) that I won't get a replacement
3) that someone in India is being "disciplined" for misleading me.

Now I'm confused, and feeling bad for the person who (from my point of view) was going above and beyond on my account.

Seems like a strange way to operate customer support.
Rubisco321

Re: bizzare Roku customer service experience

Postby RokuJamesL » Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:40 pm

If you can send a PM to me with all the various case numbers, your name and e-mail address, I can give all that to our customer support manager here in California to investigate.

Yes, it definitely sounds very odd...
RokuJamesL
Roku Engineering

Postby Rubisco321 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:00 pm

Thank you James for your reply - I've PM'd you with the information you requested.
Rubisco321

Postby ViciousTwist » Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:41 pm

This sounds a lot like what happened to me, only instead of an HDMI issue, I was trying to extend my Roku warranty.

When I try to login to the Roku website to pay for the extended warranty it gives me an error that says "Invalid Email Address"
I know it is the correct address, because after I emailed Roku, all they did was repeat to me what I already knew:

They basically told me, the email you purchased the Roku with is: BLAHBLAH@GMAIL.COM , use that and it should work... and of course it didn't.... when I try to explain the problem to them they don't understand... I tell them the website says my email address is invalid and they say something along the lines of: "The website is messed up? What is wrong with the website?"

I got fed up with all of the confusion and just hung the phone up...
ViciousTwist

Postby Rubisco321 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:37 pm

Just to follow up, I've been contacted by two different people from Roku's US office, and am very impressed with the response.
Rubisco321

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion