MLB says "No soup for you Roku" (No spring training games)

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

MLB says "No soup for you Roku" (No spring training games)

Postby DaBronx » Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:14 pm

I wrote to mlb to ask if the spring training games would be available on the Roku or the PS3 and got the response below.

Peace

brett

<begin c&p>

Subject
---------------------------------------------------------------
Will 2011 Pre-Season games be available on PS3 or Roku devices?

Discussion Thread
---------------------------------------------------------------
Response Via Email(Customer Support) - 02/24/2011 04:19 PM
Dear Brett xxxxxxxx:

Thank you for your interest in MLB.com.

We apologize for the inconvenience, but unfortunately Spring Training games are not accessible to PS3, Roku and other devices. You will be able to watch over 150 Spring Training Games on the website by logging into your account on your computer.

Please feel free to email us or call using our toll free number 1-866-800-1275 should you have any additional questions.

Your tracking number for this inquiry is xxxxxxxx.

Sincerely,

MLB.com Customer Support

<end c&p>
Roku2 XS #13A164000326, Roku3 (still in factory sealed box), Roku1, wired to Netgear WND 3700 router, 100 mb cable broadband, Samsung 50" 720p plasma tv, (Subscriber- Hulu+, Netflix, HBOGO, EPIX HD, 2014 MLB.TV Premium)
DaBronx
** Valued Community Member **

Re: MLB says "No soup for you Roku" (No spring training game

Postby jbrave » Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:58 pm

Really? That is bad news. I just got an email telling me they will start billing my credit card soon, so I was all excited...

- Joel
Screenshades: The first Screensaver for Roku2!
Musiclouds: The best free internet music, on your Roku!
Ouroborialis: Psychedelic Screensaver for Roku!
jbrave

Postby TxRyan » Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:00 pm

Based on their track record (MLB's), I will be jumping for joy if REGULAR season games are available on Roku before May. There were oodles of problems last year, but it was still well worth the subscription price for me. From what I've read there isn't going to be any major improvements with the service this year and they are still using the dopey NextDef technology for HD delivery on computers which rarely worked. But the MLB channel is the reason I dumped DiSH and switched to Roku over a year ago and I have no regrets.

I look forward to another season of baseball and I sort of even look forward to the long threads, here and on MLB support, of frustrated fans complaining about the service and the inevitable apologists who will say no one's to blame so stop complaining. :lol:
TxRyan

Postby figaro » Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:28 pm

To TxRyan - Perfect. You nailed it.
WIred Ethernet - Comcast Cable (20 Mbps) - Linksys WRT54GS Router
figaro

Postby Chuck_IV » Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:50 am

I posted a bit of a nasty post on their forums about it. They have in blazen graphics on the front page of their MLB.TV site that you can see up to 150 pre-season games without blackouts, yet NOWHERE on that page/graphic does it say only on the PC and Boxee. I summized that the only way to see if your device is supported it to goto each individual device's page and see if the same graphic is there. The only devices it shows on are PC page and the Boxee page.

I told them they needed to put some type of note on their graphics that is is only on select devices. I doubt they care or will do it. To me it's false advertising.

**EDIT**
Well it seems they got the hint. I noticed they have put the full schedule link in the graphic and on the page linked, it now clearly states what devices you can view the spring training games on. It does NOT include Boxee, only the PC, Mac, iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad.
Chuck_IV

Postby TheLizard » Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:06 am

How disappointing. I have recently purchased the equipment necessary to bring MLB.tv to system. Now I find that Roku is not supporting the Spring Training games. Why on earth would MLB.tv and Roku drop that ball? I am certainly glad that I didn't sign up for service yet, like some here have done.
Get it together, folks. If you want to give Comcast, DirecTV and DISH the boot, you can't be making grievous errors like this.
TheLizard

Postby jstraw » Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:09 am

I bought the Android app and re-upped MLB.tv yesterday...without researching this first. Frankly, it's a terrible idea to make us wait till opening day to find out if MLB.tv is going to function properly on Roku this year, after the utter nightmare they delivered last season. Last year, even after it got markedly better, it never got to the point where one could just stop worrying about it and watch baseball. It never got bug-free. And I still remember that in 2009, I didn't have ANY problems with it at all. That they're not ramping up service to devices like Roku, PS3 and Boxee before opening day is really a bad idea from both a technical standpoint and public relations standpoint.
jstraw

Postby jstraw » Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:11 am

TheLizard wrote:How disappointing. I have recently purchased the equipment necessary to bring MLB.tv to system. Now I find that Roku is not supporting the Spring Training games. Why on earth would MLB.tv and Roku drop that ball? I am certainly glad that I didn't sign up for service yet, like some here have done.
Get it together, folks. If you want to give Comcast, DirecTV and DISH the boot, you can't be making grievous errors like this.

Let's not go down this road of confusion again this year. The statement "Now I find that Roku is not supporting the Spring Training games." is not supportable. Roku can only present the programming the content providers make available. This is entirely on MLB.
jstraw

Postby woodrow » Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:38 am

Again, based on last year's disastrous experience with roku/mlb.tv, there is no way I am ordering mlb.tv for 2011 until we know for sure whether it will work reliably on the roku. I don't trust roku at all on this issue. Notice that there has not been a peep from roku about this issue. That tells me that they have no idea whether it will work. Anyone who has already bought or will buy mlb.tv with the intent of watching it on the roku in 2011 is gambling their money.
woodrow

Postby larryslounge » Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:50 am

That's why you need to wait until the regular season starts, and MLB streams in HD, to see if it really works. Once you sign up you have 5 days to cancel the package (either for whole year subscription, or at beginning of each monthly subscription). I'm certainly going to wait until around April 1 to sign up.
larryslounge

Postby jstraw » Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:19 am

larryslounge wrote:That's why you need to wait until the regular season starts, and MLB streams in HD, to see if it really works. Once you sign up you have 5 days to cancel the package (either for whole year subscription, or at beginning of each monthly subscription). I'm certainly going to wait until around April 1 to sign up.

Rockies/D-Backs are on MLB Premium today. I don't know if that's HD or not. It just amazing to me that MLB doesn't use ST as an opportunity to get everything working properly.
jstraw

Postby TheLizard » Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:29 am

Even if this is "Entirely on MLB" the fact is that last week, Roku was prominently advocating their product for use in streaming MLB.tv. No mention that Spring Training was exempt. Today, I am having trouble finding any mention of MLB.tv on the Roku site. I wonder what happened? I would hope that the regular season contract is not in question.
TheLizard

Postby DaBronx » Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:21 am

jstraw wrote:Let's not go down this road of confusion again this year. The statement "Now I find that Roku is not supporting the Spring Training games." is not supportable. Roku can only present the programming the content providers make available. This is entirely on MLB.

Agreed. This appears to be a decision by MLB and not Roku (or Sony for the ps3).

All complaints should be directly to MLB in their forum for mlb.tv @ http://mlb.mlb.com/help/supportforum/index.jsp?tcid=mm_mlb_vid if you want the people at mlb to see your discontent.

I have not seen Roku advertise the availability of spring training games, only "watch the full season". Let's hope mlb.tv is ready to roll by opening day and we don't repeat last seasons early fiasco.

But hey, I am a baseball fan and used to the fan abuse by now.

Go Yankees!

Peace

brett
Roku2 XS #13A164000326, Roku3 (still in factory sealed box), Roku1, wired to Netgear WND 3700 router, 100 mb cable broadband, Samsung 50" 720p plasma tv, (Subscriber- Hulu+, Netflix, HBOGO, EPIX HD, 2014 MLB.TV Premium)
DaBronx

Postby mikebdoss » Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:55 am

TheLizard wrote:Even if this is "Entirely on MLB" the fact is that last week, Roku was prominently advocating their product for use in streaming MLB.tv. No mention that Spring Training was exempt. Today, I am having trouble finding any mention of MLB.tv on the Roku site. I wonder what happened? I would hope that the regular season contract is not in question.

Weird, you're right - there's no mention of MLB on the home page, on the sports "What's On" page, or the "All Channels" page. Something is amiss...
mikebdoss

Postby kc8pql » Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:18 pm

Well, if I was Roku, I would have taken it down, until the regular season starts anyway, so I wouldn't have a bunch of people yelling that they bought a Roku just so they could watch spring games that aren't there because MLB decided they weren't going to make them avalable on anything but web browser devices (PCs, Macs and Boxee). Good move on Roku's part I'd say.

They do read these threads...
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
OTA Antenna, "Netflix Player" N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R
kc8pql

Next

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion