Can't even get a Roku Menu to come up ...

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Can't even get a Roku Menu to come up ...

Postby karen k » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:18 am

I promise that I am not totally challenged, here; my DVD player works just fine going into one of the three SD red/white/yellow SD video hook-ups on the back of my Sony Trinitron (circa 2004). But when I hook up the Roku XDS, I get the purple light on front, the internal red light ... and then nothing on my tv screen. I have tried different cables, different "video in" spots, and every possible line/source/vcr/vtr/tv etc on my tv remote. I also have an old Tivo SD box that works woth DirecTV. I fear the Roku box is a lemon. Help!
karen k

Re: Can't even get a Roku Menu to come up ...

Postby gnonny11 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:29 am

Have you tried switching channels on your tv set? I'm no techie, just throwing that out there. I just know that for me to get Roku, the tv has to be on "Video 1," for regular cable tv it has to be on "Video 2," and for the dvd player, it has to be on channel 3.
Setup: Roku HD (2000C)/ Netgear WNR1000v2-VC router/ Ubee D3.0 modem/ Wired ethernet / Sanyo DS20424 20 in. flat screen SD tv / R/Y/W RCA cable
gnonny11

Postby jeffrok » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:18 am

Sounds like she tried that already.

To the OP- are you SURE you have the cables in the right inputs? Yellow->Yellow White->White Red->Red?

Do you have another TV you can try this on to make it's not something with the TV?
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koy2eg1ioZ8&list=HL1380998604&feature=mh_lolz
jeffrok
** Valued Community Member **

Postby karen k » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:15 pm

Maybe I will try it with another TV, but I have a bad feeling about the little Roku box. I thought maybe Tivo was getting in the way or something ...
karen k

Postby gnonny11 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:22 pm

At the risk of bringing up something that may be totally irrelevant to the situation, could it possibly be a router issue??
(I guess someone here would've already brought that up though... )
Setup: Roku HD (2000C)/ Netgear WNR1000v2-VC router/ Ubee D3.0 modem/ Wired ethernet / Sanyo DS20424 20 in. flat screen SD tv / R/Y/W RCA cable
gnonny11

Postby kumasuki » Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:24 pm

gnonny11 wrote:At the risk of bringing up something that may be totally irrelevant to the situation, could it possibly be a router issue??
(I guess someone here would've already brought that up though... )

You can turn off the router and still get the Roku startup screen (which the OP indicates isn't appearing).
--------------------------------------
Roku XDS; DSM-520; HDX1000 w/1TB drive; Neuros; Hauppauge 1212 HD-PVR; HDHomeRun; Vudu; VuNow HD; Boxee Box
kumasuki

Postby gnonny11 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:41 pm

kumasuki wrote:You can turn off the router and still get the Roku startup screen (which the OP indicates isn't appearing).

Thanks. Wasn't sure about that. Okay, dummy here's gonna shut up now. (In this thread at least. lol)

OP, I hope you get it working!
gnonny11

Postby mommom » Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:49 pm

The first thing I would do is switch it to use the component cables that you already know are working on another device.Then try another tv,then wait for someone who is more tech inclined to post back.
mommom

Postby Louise2101 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:14 pm

I have exactly the same problem. I just attached my new roku to my sony tv via hdmi and nothing! No menu. I have roadrunner wireless and a netgear wireless router. What am I doing wrong? The instructions do not indicate what the tv should be set to for initial set up. A channel? Video 2 ( my only other option.) :?:
Louise2101

Postby kc8pql » Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:05 pm

Set the TV to the same input you plugged the HDMI cable into. Could be Video 1,2,3... Depends on your TV. If you don't know which one it is, just cycle through the buttons until you see the Roku screen.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
OTA Antenna, "Netflix Player" N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R
kc8pql
** Valued Community Member **

Postby karen k » Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:57 pm

the HDMI part confuses me ...

I only bought the XDS box because we wanted the extra output connection for higher end video, but our TV is 2004 or 2005 (very nice trinitron). I am only connecting the Roku to the TV with the red, white and yellow cables ... am I supposed to be using an HDMI cable somewhere? I don't even have HD TV (holding out for Tivo/Directv reunion).

anyway, I haven't tried a different TV yet (no others are hooked up right now). maybe I'm missing something obvious. maybe I should go get those blue/red/green (or whatever) plugs!

arrrghhh
karen k

Postby karen k » Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:58 pm

p.s.

I also tried plugging the internet right into the roku box (via the router). maybe I should try bypassing the router altogether!
karen k

Postby kumasuki » Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:07 pm

karen k wrote:... our TV is 2004 or 2005 (very nice trinitron).

What model Trinitron??
karen k wrote: ... am I supposed to be using an HDMI cable somewhere?

HDMI is completely irrelevant to your current situation.
Roku XDS; DSM-520; HDX1000 w/1TB drive; Neuros; Hauppauge 1212 HD-PVR; HDHomeRun; Vudu; VuNow HD; Boxee Box
kumasuki

Postby kumasuki » Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:13 pm

karen k wrote:... maybe I should try bypassing the router altogether!

"IF" you have the cables connected to the TV properly and "IF" you have the correct TV input selected (usually by using the TV remote) - then you should/will at least see the Roku splash screen (not simply a blank screen) whether or not the Roku is connected to the Internet at all.

PS - for troubleshooting (beyond getting the TV input sorted out), it is helpful to have the option of wiring the Roku to the router to isolate the cause of a problem even if you eventually go back to wireless.
kumasuki

Postby kagiso » Sun May 05, 2013 6:55 pm

Hello all,

I am attaching this reply onto this thread because it seemed to be the most accurate. I tried looking through several related threads but I cannot seem to find the answer I need. If this has already been posted and I missed it, please feel free to direct me elsewhere.

I acquired today 2nd-hand a Roku 2 XD box from a friend. It was working perfectly for him with an HDMI cable; he just wanted to upgrade. I have a Sony Trinitron non-digital TV (model # KV-32V26). After much playing around, I cannot seem to get the initial Roku menu to come up so that I can configure things; I just get a blank screen.

As I do not have an HDMI input, I am connecting with the RWY component cables (I am using the Roku A/V cable that plugs into the Roku box with 1 plug but then splits into the component RWY cables which then interfaces with my RWY component cable). I was using the cables with a DVD player, so I know the cables are not broken. I have tried plugging the RWY component cables into all 3 Video slots (2 on the back, 1 on the front) of the TV and have used the "TV/Video" button on the remote to cycle through and make sure that I'm on the correct setting. I know that the input slots work because I've connected up DVD players via those inputs before. I have tried unplugging the Roku, pressing the reset button for 15-30sec then plugging everything back in but that did not seem to help. I know that the problem is not my router because I'm writing this email on a computer that is using the wireless successfully.

Bizarrely, I feel like something is half-working in that if I have the Roku plugged into, say, "video 2" and then I switch to "Video 2" with the TV remote and then I press buttons on the Roku remote, I can hear a "doo-dunk" sound coming from the TV like one was making a menu choice but I do not see anything on the screen.

Any troubleshooting thoughts? I feel like there must be something stupid and small that I am missing.

Thanks in advance for any help!
--Nick
kagiso

Next

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion