Picasa Channel - Security of Login and Pwd?

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

Picasa Channel - Security of Login and Pwd?

Postby Hansfutz » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:43 am

Hi,
Just got a Roku XD, and it's awesome! I have a question though in regards to the security of login information with Private channels, specifically the Picasa channel.

After entering the link code on the developer's website (which I found uncomfortable vs. linking from a google site), I was prompted to enter my Google login with a warning that a 3rd party was trying to access my account. I stopped there because I wasn't sure if the developer's site was making use of my login info or if it was still private.

So my questions are:

1.) Where does the login info reside, and is it secure?
2.) Does the developer have access to the login info?

I appreciate any feedback!
Hansfutz

Re: Picasa Channel - Security of Login and Pwd?

Postby SuetyStanes » Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:21 am

Hansfutz wrote:Hi,
Just got a Roku XD, and it's awesome! I have a question though in regards to the security of login information with Private channels, specifically the Picasa channel.

After entering the link code on the developer's website (which I found uncomfortable vs. linking from a google site), I was prompted to enter my Google login with a warning that a 3rd party was trying to access my account. I stopped there because I wasn't sure if the developer's site was making use of my login info or if it was still private.

So my questions are:

1.) Where does the login info reside, and is it secure?
2.) Does the developer have access to the login info?

I appreciate any feedback!

Which login information are you talking about? Typically you need to set up an account with the service provider (Picasa in this case), log in to that site, and then tie a Roku player to your account. When this happens the first time, you will be given a code by the Roku that you enter at the provider's website.
SuetyStanes

Postby kc8pql » Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:31 am

Hansfutz wrote:Hi,

After entering the link code on the developer's website...

Picasa is a public channel available in the channel store.
You should be able to add it from there and link it to your Picassa account. No channel code is needed. I'm not sure what you're doing.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
OTA Antenna, "Netflix Player" N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R
kc8pql
** Valued Community Member **

Postby Hansfutz » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:09 am

Sorry, I misspoke referring to Picasa as Private channel.

What I meant was that after you select the Picasa channel it goes to a screen that says:

Please link your Roku player to your Picasa Web Albums account.
From your computer go to http://roku.chrishoffman.org/picasa
enter this code to activate:
xxxx

I go to that site and enter the activation code, which takes me to google. At the google login page, I get the message "A third party service is requesting permission to access your Google account".

That's where I stopped because I questioned how my login information to my Google account was going to be used.
Hansfutz

Postby SuetyStanes » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:33 am

Picasa appears to be a Google service, tied to your overall Google account (gmail, RSS feeds, etc.)

Wikipedia page on Picasa: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Picasa
SuetyStanes

Postby kc8pql » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:01 am

At the google login page, I get the message "A third party service is requesting permission to access your Google account".

That would be your Roku.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
OTA Antenna, "Netflix Player" N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R
kc8pql

Postby gonzotek » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:16 am

kc8pql wrote:
At the google login page, I get the message "A third party service is requesting permission to access your Google account".

That would be your Roku.
No it isn't(well, not JUST the Roku). The developer of the Picasa Channel, Chris Hoffman, implemented a Google App Engine site to ease the setup process . Here is his support thread: viewtopic.php?t=30575
and here is his reply to a previous privacy question:
hoffmcs wrote:
Bryce_V wrote:I was curious about privacy. You have access to our accounts, so what does that mean? Can you view our pictures or do other nefarious things? I'm not saying you would.... I just don't know how much power is allowed with the access granted.

I do not have any access to your account. I specifically set up the authentication process to be very secure. All authentication keys are only accessible on your Roku box and you only have to enter your password on a Google webpage. The only reason you are going to a website on my domain is for convenience instead of entering these long jumbles of letters, numbers, and symbols. Authentication uses an industry standard process called Oauth. If you ever think something nefarious is going on, you can always revoke access on this page https://www.google.com/accounts/b/0/IssuedAuthSubTokens.
Remoku.tv - A free web app for Roku Remote Control!
Want to control your Roku from nearly any phone, computer or tablet? Get started at http://help.remoku.tv
by Apps4TV - Applications for television and beyond: http://www.apps4tv.com
gonzotek

Postby Hansfutz » Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:08 pm

Thanks! That's kind of what I wanted to know.
Hansfutz

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion