Roku seems slow lately.

Moderators: RokuShawnS, RokuDouglas, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Re: Roku seems slow lately.

Postby KennyJ » Sun Apr 17, 2011 3:27 pm

I'll get slow response on occasion. Not sure what causes it. I just reboot my Roku (i.e. unplug and replug) and it fixes it. Not sure if its a memory issue or what.
KennyJ

Postby gonzotek » Sun Apr 17, 2011 3:48 pm

mkiker2089 wrote:
mikebdoss wrote:
jbrave wrote:One thing that will improve the responsiveness of your roku is fresh batteries in the remote. Might want to wipe off the remote so the front lens is clear from finger grease. Also the infrared port on the front of the roku. Also, get an air can and blow the dust out of your roku. Keep it right side up as it doesn't have an internal fan to cool it, and don't put anything on top. Computers act funny when they overheat.

It's absolutely not a remote issue - the unit flashes and makes the "received keypress" noise.

Yeah, that's part of the frustration. People don't seem to understand the problem until it happens to them. Once it does it's unmistakeable.

I absolutely do experience it, on occasion. Hulu happens to be the channel I 'feel' causes it the most, but it happens infrequently enough, and 'unrepeatably' enough that it's difficult to provide any other details.
Remoku.tv - A free web app for Roku Remote Control!
Want to control your Roku from nearly any phone, computer or tablet? Get started at http://help.remoku.tv
by Apps4TV - Applications for television and beyond: http://www.apps4tv.com
gonzotek
** Valued Community Member **

Postby jbrave » Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:14 pm

My unit flashes and makes the noise too, but responds snappier with fresh batteries. Can't hurt to change them, can it?

- Joel
Screenshades: The first Screensaver for Roku2!
Musiclouds: The best free internet music, on your Roku!
Ouroborialis: Psychedelic Screensaver for Roku!
jbrave

Postby vmps » Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:48 pm

jbrave wrote:My unit flashes and makes the noise too, but responds snappier with fresh batteries. Can't hurt to change them, can it?l

It's useless. After rebooting the roku (without changing batteries) everything is fine.
vmps

Postby mkiker2089 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:56 pm

jbrave wrote:My unit flashes and makes the noise too, but responds snappier with fresh batteries. Can't hurt to change them, can it?

- Joel

Other than wasting perfectly good batteries it won't hurt. It's just a coincidence that it works better with new batteries. The problem is intermittent enough that it's hard to nail down anything other than a reboot typically cures it for 24 hours. If the light blinks and unit makes noise it's getting the signal. This isn't like the throttle of a car or analoug TV. It either gets the signal or it doesn't so I wouldn't change the batteries and save the money (and the Earth).

As a test I've avoided Hulu and I think indeed we may be on to something. However Hulu isn't the only channel involved. Hulu seems to trigger it but once it's triggered it will return and on any channel. However I could be proven wrong any minute. Like we've all said, this one will be tough to nail down.
-Marshall-

Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv.
I know nothing, I see nothing, I wasn't there,
and if I was there, I was asleep.
mkiker2089

Postby lancescape » Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:49 pm

It has nothing to do with Hulu in my case. Recently, it's been happening on both my units (XD and N1100). After initiating play, the units will often not respond for the first 10+ seconds. While watching the Kings@Sharks (NHL - archive) after about an hour my XD would not respond to any remote commands. It made the audible button-press sounds, but did nothing and had to be unplugged. Once rebooted things are good again. It is definitely not my connection/batteries, it's 100% the box itself.
lancescape

Postby jbrave » Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:13 pm

First of all, I wasn't trying to say that there is no problem. I'm just saying that new batteries helps. My roku (the original series, HD) also seemed to get slower as time wore on, and I just thought I would share what helped, but didn't cure the problem completely. As to Hulu, Hulu is a very buggy program, and once it starts acting up, it will bog down if you don't hit the home button right away, usually I'm forced to pull the power cord when hulu acts up.

Does it throw the rest of the box off? Haven't seen that, but I'm sure Hulu could cause the rest of the system to malfunction, given that it is the *ONLY* app that will continue partially functioning and ignore the home button once it gets screwy. All other apps are terminated by the Home button as soon as you hit it.

- Joel
Screenshades: The first Screensaver for Roku2!
Musiclouds: The best free internet music, on your Roku!
Ouroborialis: Psychedelic Screensaver for Roku!
jbrave

Postby mkiker2089 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:19 pm

Please give you serial numbers to Shawn. We need to figure this one out.
-Marshall-

mkiker2089

Postby RokuShawnS » Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:23 pm

Please :)

I just finished up my weekly, and noted this issue. Until I get serial numbers (just in case they're needed by Engineering), I can't file a comprehensive list of people affected.

C. Shawn Smith
Forum Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Postby mkiker2089 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:53 pm

With as many people that have been affected I'm surprised we don't see more serial numbers. I think some of the people in older threads about it may not be here anymore.
-Marshall-

mkiker2089

Postby -LD » Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:27 pm

N1000 20F848009486
XD J0A0A1020054
-LD

Postby -LD » Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:27 pm

mkiker2089 wrote:With as many people that have been affected I'm surprised we don't see more serial numbers. I think some of the people in older threads about it may not be here anymore.

It's kind of a hassle when you are frustrated. That's why you don't see more.
-LD

Postby mikebdoss » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:11 pm

I PMed mine.

For anyone adverse to copying numbers/letters off the TV, remember that your serial numbers are available on your Roku account page, so you can copy/paste.
mikebdoss
** Valued Community Member **

Postby bmorris14a » Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:00 am

I've been having that same exact "hard to pin down" problem for quit a few months now. I don't subscribe to hulu so that's not what starts it for me. and I don't even reboot....it will just be working fine again the next evening. I'm not at home to be able to retrieve my serial number from the roku right now. but you will press the remote....you see the green light flash and SOMETIMES hear the beep but it will take ten seconds for the change to occur. frustrating. I've learned to just not hit the button repeatedly and to wait it out.
bmorris14a

Postby simuman » Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:28 pm

N1000 20F878002557

I have never used Hulu. Symptoms observed since last update: intermittently slow or seemingly non-responsive remote, have changed batteries with no effect. Minimal (about 10-12) channels, no custom screensavers. Only channels used since update: Netflix, Flixter, WeatherUnderground.
simuman

PreviousNext

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion